The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I admit I did watch a couple of episodes of Baywatch, but obviously not enough to remember the tune.

There was a Futurama episode featuring Pamela Anderson's head (I think). She was discussing the innovative "Baywatch: The Movie," the only picture filmed ENTIRELY in slow motion! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

George

Not a tv or move theme, but definetly nostalgia! I LOVE THIS song!

I remember watching Roller Derby when I was young. There was also a Raquel Welch movie that was kind of about it, although a little different. I think it was called Rollerball, is that right?

Rick

I watched Roller Derby and Wrestling when I was young. "Rollerball" starred James Caan in a futuristic cross between Roller Derby, Handball, and gladiator fights. I believe that the Raquel Welch film was "Kansas City Bomber."

George

kc.jpg

there were 'fake' body parts on that show? ...wow... and they looked like they were in such good health to me...

Doctor Sudo, The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful.

Tom,

That's one of the best examples of word switching I've seen. :)

Not a tv or move theme, but definetly nostalgia! I LOVE THIS song!

Rick

Hubby walked through and said Jim Croce without knowing if clue or not. I told him your link and he said yeah that makes sense. :unsure: :)

Glad you got some of your stuff back. :)

:wave: bowtwi

That's too bad that they even have to be doing that. Jim Croce was one of the best. They shouldn't have to be selling videos to stay afloat. Oh well....

I used to have a book of his music...photographs and memories....there were many pics of him and his wife. I wish I still had it.

Rick

For ChattingKathy:

THE WEATHER IS HERE, WISH YOU WERE BEAUTIFUL

By Jimmy Buffett

He worked hard all year just wanted a few weeks alone

But his old lady's into modeling,

She can't stay away from the phone

Besides she b!tches about the mosquitoes

She says "Down there there is nothing to do"

Her go dd amn phone never stops ringing

He'll try the service in a day maybe two

Well, he's on his third drink before the

wheels of the plane leave the ground

Making points with the stewardess

climbing over Long Island Sound

She's also spending some time on the island

Too much city madness gives her the blues

They make a date to go dancing and dining

Seems neither has that much to lose

Chorus

The weather is here I wish you were beautiful

My thoughts aren't too clear but don't run away

My girlfiend's a bore, my job is too dutiful

Hell, nobody's perfect would you like to play

I feel together today

Well now that was just the start of

a well-deserved over due binge

Meanwhile back in the city certain

people are starting to cringe

His lawyers are calling his parents

His girlfriend doesn't know what to think

His partners are studing their options

He's just singing and ordering drinks

Chorus

The skies are too clear life's easy today

The beer is too cold, the daquiri's too fruitiful

There's no place like home when it's this far away

I don't care what they say

He's going back to New York pack it up

and let everyone know

It was something that he should have done

such a long time ago

Still time to start a new life in the palm trees

Billy Clyde wasn't insane

And it doesn't work out there'll never be any doubt

That the pleasure was worth all the pain

Chorus

The skies are too clear, life is easy today

The beer is too cold, the daquiri's too fruitiful

There's no place like home when it's this far away

I need time for to play

Time for to play

Oh how I wish you could see it in the original

yeah... Jim Croce... love him... though I'm more partial to Harry Chapin... both gone from this earthly plane far too soon IMO...

Jimmy Buffett can tell a good story can't he. He's very enjoyable in concert. Personable like he's at a big backyard party.

I agree. How could we have lost both of those men with such a gift for story telling. You enjoyed the whole ride when listening to their songs. But I agree with you Tom, I prefer Harry Chapin myself.

There's something so permanent about the loss of someone like that. The stories they could have told as they grew themselves. The potential of what could have been. Makes you real thankful for what you got doesn't it.

Well... we had them for a while anyway and we've still got "part" of them here... are you familiar with Harry's album "Sniper and other love songs"? I've been in love with it since the first listen (but I was probably stoned then, I was 18) and I still can put it on and listen to it all the way through... it's a beautiful album full of stories of different people and he weaves them so beautifully...

The title song 'Sniper' is about Charles Whitman, the guy that climbed the Univ of Texas tower all those years ago... it's haunting, his words, tone and music just capture insanity... I guess I'm trying to say that he makes you feel the emotions in that song like he does his other songs... and I guess that's why I've always liked him... I can "feel" his songs...

Anyway, if you haven't gotten it or heard it, that's a great CD to get... some say it's only for the 'seasoned' HC fan (which you may be), but I'm thinking you'd like it...

sorry... we now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

Sushi,

I understand the better live rather than studio. We have one such person amongst us. And I thought I'd noticed you had a love of Jackson Browne, what a fine performer he is.

Tom,

I think I've heard that but it would have been from Rick playing it. I want to know if I haven't though. I like how he talks in them and I'm thinking about when he was talking about someone being paid to do what he did. He was very meek it seems.

CK,

I was waiting until your birthday to wish you well, and I inadvertently waited TOO LONG! But, just for today, I promise to post in the Nostalgia Thread after I post in Movie Pictionary, Name that Tune, or Name That Flick, just so the NT can have its "rightful" place on top!

Party on! :dance::beer:

George

Just an aside, Harry Chapin was one of those rare performers who was better live than he was in the studio. Christine Lavin is another. And last but not least, Jackson Browne (but you knew I was going to say that, didn't you ? :biglaugh: )

I know what you mean verbal... I had the great pleasure of seeing Harry live in Boston (when I was a WOW, what's one night? I couldn't miss it)... Jackson Browne, yeah... he's another one I'm a big fan of... you're never quite sure what you're gonna get, but you know you won't be disappointed!

Strange One,

If you haven't already, get the solo acoustic album by Jackson Browne. It's one of the few live albums I can listen to (because his fans know when to shut the hell up :biglaugh: ) . There's also one song on there that's worth the price of admission. The Bells Of Saint Mark's is a song he hasn't performed in about 30 years. Why, I don't know. If you didn't hear it when I posted it, it's on page 181 of our very own Nostalgia thread.

(edited for punctuation and number error)

Edited by Sushi

SaintGeorge,

You aren't late because it's this Sunday.

I didn't read the "Happy Birthday Chatty Kathy -- Tuesday" thread, so I assumed your birthday was Tuesday.

But you aren't allowed to call me CK anymore. Uh uh! :blink:

Is that because of someone with those initials has been ticking off people in his "Worst Leader" thread?

Thanks for cracking me up as I head out the door. :biglaugh:

Ditto!

George

Strange One,

If you haven't already, get the solo acoustic album by Jackson Browne. It's one of the few live albums I can listen to (because his fans know when to shut the hell up :biglaugh: ) . There's also one song on there that's worth the price of admission. The Bells Of Saint Mark's is a song he hasn't performed in about 30 years. Why, I don't know. If you didn't hear it when I posted it, it's on page 181 of our very own Nostalgia thread.

That's sweet! ...and it's exactly why I can listen to Jackson Browne for hours and hours (like a mental patient)... it does sound familiar (maybe I heard it 30 years ago at a concert?) what is the album name?

Oddly enough, it's called Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic Vol. 1. :biglaugh: I'm waiting for the next installment with bated breath.

The song you heard was previously unreleased, so you may have heard it that long ago.

And now for something completely different...........

HERE!

(and yes, it IS what you think it's about :biglaugh: )

Edited by Sushi