GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Hey, I tried to listen to the song and it sounded muffled or something. Anyway, I have heard Kathy sing that song on a CD and I love it. She does have a beautiful voice. :wave:

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're most kind but like that kid in love Ted Ferrell said about my voice....he'd rather hear the heart I put into it rather than quality of voice anytime. And on that I must :redface: admit I do give from deep inside when I sing but I know I haven't a good voice. I have favorites I like to sing with also. :wink2:

Kathy, you are good (and you know who thinks so too). Like Ted has told you, you do have the heart and that's more important than anything (but you have the voice to go with it).

By the way, this will by my last post

until I'm Mrs. Ted Ferrell :love3:

Edited by moony3424

Do any of you guys watch Turner Classic Movies??

I recorded a great movie this week that I'm sure most of you have heard of. It was a little before my time (beings as it wuz a silent movie) so I can't exactly call it 'Nostalgia' but who knows?? Could be we have some really OLD folks reading this thread, hmm?? So what was this movie? Click HERE! for one of the most famous scenes and give it a little bit to load.

You see the cutsy girl at the end of the segment? She's only 22 years old here but she lived a rich long life and died not THAT long ago at age 99... just a few months shy of what would have been her 100th birthday. And since you can't hear her voice in a silent movie.. I've got a clip of her singing. You have to listen to the male actor for a bit but click HERE! and at the one minute mark you'll hear her in another most memorable movie.

What is the famous movie that the clip is from? Who is the long lived actress? Who is the actor in the sound clip? What movie was THAT clip from? Will there ever be world peace? Oh, so many questions!!

sudo

One doesn't need to be old to be aware of silent movies, just interested.

I love silent movies, especially the comedians. It was one of the great 'revelations' in college to discover Buster Keaton at his peak. "The General" is simply remarkable.

I'm thankful for TCM, which is the only real venue left on television for many classic and silent films.

Here in LA, there is the 'Silent Movie theater', which presents terrific themed silent movie programs, often with really oddball performers. There are times I'm actually glad I live in this overcrowded, polluted, armpit of the country.

Yep you guys..

Of course, its not like I didn't give any clues but the film clip was from The Birth Of A Nation. Today, the movie is praised from a cinematic stand point but reviled as being racist. I just watched most of it again and I think the racism charge is overblown... but that's just me. Its the acting that gets me. In movies today, the acting is so nuanced that even a slight move of an eyebrow is all that's needed to convey an emotion. On television, the actors usually emote a little stronger. On the stage they have to be VERY expressive so the guy sitting up in the balcony can get it. But the silent movies are something else. Hee-hee~!

The sound clip that everyone recognized (and yes I used it before but didn't elaborate) was Robert Mitchum and lilian Gish in Night Of The Hunter. It was a very quirky movie and you either liked it or you didn't. It was the only film directed by Charles Laughton and I liked it. That clip of Leaning On The Everlasting Arms is so very spooky in the movie. Robert Mitchum is coming to kill children as he sings it. Brrrr....

Kathy.. liked your music. Its not exactly Barnum and Bailey though is it? :rolleyes:

sudo

George had already said 'Birth of a Nation' so I didn't see the need to repeat.

I'm not sure how a film that presents the KKK as being a great organization can not be seen as racist, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

The DW Griffith movie that I really like is 'Intolerance'-an historical epic that spans 4 time periods and 'wrote the book' on filmmaking , cutting and editing. Films were very 'stagebound' be fore DW Griffith, who pioneered such radical techniques as close ups and quick cuts.

I've never seen the movie, nor do I know much of the KKK other than what you learn going thru life. My personal experience regarding the clan is limited to my having gone down the wrong country road outside Tampa Bay. Where I abruptly stopped and proceeded to move as quickly in reverse as I had forward. Before me was a burning cross and pointed headed figures all around. And I was pretty sure it wasnt a conehead convention.

In respect to a movie having overblown an aspect (regardless the paramount or insignificance) I've seen that in other areas of life as well in a movie and came out thankful for the experience of seeing it because of some other aspect that was revealing. It doesn't make the racism right or less but life doesn't have pretty boundaries where we don't have exposure to all sorts of goods and bads. And we can learn from it all.

End of sermon.

I felt the same way about Monty Python. Some I totally got and enjoyed and some I just had to give it over to British understanding.

It's a great weekend here. My daughter from Ole Miss is here with 6 of her good friends. I've had to let my "Daddy duties" go bye-bye as these young people are staying up to 3 O'clock in the morning and sleeping until (literally) noon. I have to accept that my daughter is a semi-adult now :unsure:. My gawd how did we ever allow such young people so much freedom :nono5: ???

I was talking to Rick this afternoon and mentioned this music video I had that I thought he had sent me. He couldn't remember sending it and I couldn't swear as to where I got it but its pretty memorable on a few levels. First off, I'm not much into music videos. But this one is different. It's George Harrison and Ringo Starr doing a live performance of While My Guitar Gently Weeps with other performers. And its the other performers that make this memorable, IMO. Its intoduced by Elton John (before he knew he was gay?) who blubbers and is nearly speechless over performing with Harrison and Starr.

Eric Clapton did the lead guitar work on the original White Album version but does so much better here. All the while George is strumming rythym guitar, Clapton is almost bowing to Harrison as he performs. As if he is looking for approval. Look at it yourselves. We shall never see this again. It's rather large as I didn't want to degrade the quality so you guys might want to 'right' click and save it instead HERE!

sudo

Thank you Sudo, that was very enjoyable. I especially loved Clapton and Harrison dueling with guitars. I enjoy the guitarists facial expressions and body language and Clapton is wonderful to watch (I'm not prejudiced am I). When he and Harrison were playing their guitars you could almost see how they were like extensions of themselves.

This concert was in 1987 and also included Jeff Lynne on bass guitar (of Electric Light Orchestra), Phil Collins also on drums (of Genesis) as well as a pianist named Jools Holland.

And Sudo, let her enjoy it dad. Soon she'll be in grown up land and won't have the luxury of it anymore.

How about this for a topic, original versus remake?

I prefer singer/songwriters, with few exceptions (one which comes to mind is the Meatloaf/Jim Steinman combination). This song was originally written by the performer. It was later made popular by The Shirelles.

HERE!

You know, I always thought Carol King had a great voice but damn, her choice in songs really sucked. At least, in my opinion.

Before we continue with the original versus remake topic, HERE is another video clip. Not as good quality as yours but a great jam. So who can name all the players in it? :)

Rick

I have to agree about Carol (or is it Carole?) King. I just didn't like her slection of tunes. Oh, and BTW, Rick.. they were playing Layla too fast! But hey!! Nothing wrong with the quality that I could see!

sudo (looking for his glasses)