• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nostalgia I think:

Black and White

(Under age 40? You won't understand.)

You could hardly see for all the snow.

Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.

Pull a chair up to the TV set,

'Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet.'

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in icepack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE.. and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah.... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T- SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING

It's common for me to run through the 300 channels on my digital TV only to realize there's 'nothing on'. I'm really not that hard to please either.

Somehow I found the 8 channels I got back in the stone age infinately more entertaining, both with new programming, and with stations library of reruns.

Now, you get old films on TCM (God Bless them), AMC, and that's just about it. Old TV series on TVland, and Nick at Night and that's about it. USA plays Law and Order all night long every night. Good show but not THAT good.

Kathy,

Your list was a warm reminder of why some of us ( though very few) like this thread. I also find what Hiway29 finds... there's nothing on my TV's 300 channels. My default channel is the local news and then its TMC. I just finished watching Fanny And Alexander last night. How long has it been since we all knew where to get our kicks? Click HERE! and see if you recognize the singer.

sudo

My laptop's sound isn't good enough. I'll have to check again at home.

And though I find the proliferation of "reality" shows infuriating, there ARE a lot of shows out there that I like. Mostly sci-fi/fantasy stuff like Heroes and Smallville, but certain cop shows like NCIS, Cold Case, and Numb3rs are fun, too. A new show that I think is quite good but which appears to be headed for oblivion (I think it competes in its time slot with some dancing show) is Journeyman. It is somewhat like Quantum Leap, except that the hero always returns home, doesn't appear as someone else when he goes back in time, and always seems to be in San Francisco. It stars Kevin McKidd, whom I really enjoyed in the HBO miniseries "Rome."

George

Kathy,

Your list was a warm reminder of why some of us ( though very few) like this thread. I also find what Hiway29 finds... there's nothing on my TV's 300 channels. My default channel is the local news and then its TMC. I just finished watching Fanny And Alexander last night. How long has it been since we all knew where to get our kicks? Click HERE! and see if you recognize the singer.

sudo

I know that song has been sung by a few folks including Nat King Cole and Van Morrison but I can't place that voice.

Today one of my coworkers said she wanted to go back to the 60's and probably shouldn't say it out loud but she was thankful she wouldn't be around in 30 years to see how tragic things have become based on how they are today. So that prompted a conversation where the younger ones in the group said the world has always been like this but there wasn't the internet to publicize it like today. Us older ones held out that was a pie in the sky view and things are without question getting worse than they were when we were children.

And so this subject of nostalgia for some is a way of keeping yourself sane in some ways.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's Charles Brown.

Either Johnny or Oscar Moore on guitar(Maybe both.)

Don't remember the bass players name.

Williams, I think, was his last name.

I think he had a whole album of "road" songs.

Was this one part of it?

Interesting guy, Charles Brown.

Before his musical career took off, he was a pharmacist.

edited to note that Charles Brown was the guy who wrote Merry Christmas, Baby, Driftin' Blues and Stepped in Quicksand

Edited by waysider

Waysider,

Thanks for the information on Charles Brown because I had never even heard of him. Actually, Kathy is the winner.. it was Nat King Cole. The next item I'm submitting for your approval (anyone remember who used to preface their TV show with that remark?) is a picture of three guys we knew as kids. Anyone know who they are? Anyone feeling old???

afv.jpg

sudo

Yep I am feeling old,,,, got some water out back that is dammed up, not sure what it could be that would that!

Sudo's stuff was EASY (this time).

"Submitted for your approval" a yeti on the wing of an airplane, a kid who sent his family to "the cornfield," a watch that could stop time...

The three "kids" in the photo hung out with Ward and June.

Suda's mention of Lainie Kazan on "Triple Movie Links" reminded of of my favorite commercials as an adolescent

There's something about Lainie...

George

Kathy,

Re:"The clue you gave kept a man up many an hour due to his own mind."

I thought they were 30 minute shows...

sudo

I meant he was up many an hour due to his own mind. I read years ago that his own imagination scared him so badly he couldn't sleep.

Was it Rod Serling that used that opening?

I loved that show and wish they had reruns of it.

Edited by ChattyKathy

"Twilight Zone" was an hour show for one season. It was better in 30 minutes. The hour long shows seemed 'padded', and I can't think of one of them that stays in the memory like so many of the 30 minute episodes.

Always enjoy "Beaver" updates. Did any kid actor ever out grow his role the way Jerry Mathers did ? He lost his charm, naturalness, and acting ability as soon as he hit puberty. It's no accident that the last year of the show focused more on Wally and Eddie, who got better over time. Even Barbara Billingsley admits that Mathers 'lost it' before the show ended. Not to rag on the Beav though. In his prime, that was one good kid actor.

This may be of interest only to George, but Lainie Kazan was the 'model' for Jack Kirby's character Big Barda, in his Mister Miracle comic book. That's straight from 'King' Kirby's mouth.