Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hiway29,

You're right.. I shouldn't have posted a new one but George's clue was very good. Before giving it away, I'll give another clue.. a musical clue. The same man who wrote the one that's got you scratching your head (HERE!) also wrote this often heard tune... Click HERE! I'm betting more folks will know that one. So if you know the composer, then you might know what opera he wrote the first one for.

Rick... on your guess... look at George's clue on it.

sudo

if it's a Russian film, it's got to be Eisenstein, and I'm getting fleeting memories of film class in college watching Potemkim,Ivan the Terrible, and Alexander Nevsky. I don't remeber any romance in battleship Potemkin, or Ivan, so I'll guess Nevsky.

If it weren't for all those film classes beefing up my grade point average, I would have no idea about alot of this stuff.

Hiway29,

I have given you guys some wrong clues :redface2: . First off, this piece (HERE!) was *not* an opera but rather, a ballet. It was written around 1935-1936 but first performed in late 1938 it now appears to my googling eyes. The musical clue (which you knew) was only to give you the name of the composer. It had nothing to do with the ballet. :(

sudo

Rick,

Busy day?? Good for you!! You might not be so pleased that you're working your fingers to the bone, so-to-speak, but it beats having not enough work to pay the bills, huh? Seems as if I have been giving out bogus info.. I *MEANT* to say the clue that Tom Strange had given....

"well... it couldn't be Louis L'Amour because he would be blue if I thought a western writer could write music like that...

So solly Challie. I'm not saying you are wrong... I was trying to comment on posting style is all.

sudo

Wasn't that singer involved in some controversy years later? Dang I got to go look this up, you got my trivial mind all going? I don't know why I remember this, but I bought a pair of granny shades like Roger McGuinn wore and that song was playing in the store.

Alrighty, I was right. She shot a skier in the 70's and married Andy Williams somewhere along the line.

Edited by pawtucket

Oh, I see. I Had not seen Tom's clue cause I have no idea what the previous stuff you posted was about. I just recognized the song you played from a record I had way back when. Actually, it was on an album that belonged to my my Mom. Now, have you heard the rock and roll version of it?

CSN&Y were GREAT! Concert started at 7:30 and ended at 11:00 with only about a half hour intermission. They played a LOT of music! There were 2 "highlights", in my opinion. First, they played my "ANTHEM", and a long jam version at that! :)

Second was, they cranked up the fog machine, and played Jimi Hendrix doing the Star Spangled Banner while they tied a big yellow ribbon to a wire or whatever and lifted it up. Very moving. They played a lot of classics...Teach Your Children Well, Ohio, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes. It was great! Oh, guess I already said that. :)

There was a serious anti-war, anti-Bush slant to the whole show, but come on, it's a bunch of old hippy's, so what do you expect? :)

Rick

Hiway29,

Re:"very funny sudo-but what MOVIE is it from?"

Fair question. And enough is enough. That theme (HERE!) which is so very Russian is from the movie Romeo and Juliet made in 1966 and starring Rudolf Nureyev and Margot Fonteyn. Read all about it HERE!

Rick.. I listened to your Anthem so tell me.. did you cut your hair?? :biglaugh:

sudo

I never saw that 666 Romeo and Juliet, but knew the piece from somewhere else.

So why was I thinking it was a 1939 film ? I'm too tired to track back to the beginning at the moment.

I would have loved to be at the CSBY concert-and I am nothing but thankful that they're speaking out against the war.

I mean CSN &Y