GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Hey guys!

Thanks for the kind remarks. Yes.. I like coming to this thread too Hiway29. George.. the bar on your Media player? See if its doesn't say "buffering" somewhere as well. These large files take longer to load. I've not been posting stuff a lot of folks want to see because they aren't here participating, are they? My fault. I've moved to old movies because they are not only nostalgia but a history of our culture and how its changed. A big yawner for most and I accept that.

But with only three folks concerned that I'm not going to do this anymore, I'll just bow out after this last movie, I think. Oh, I'll post here and there to bring the Nostalgia thread up to the top every now and then maybe. Or.. if anyone else decides they want to post stuff (I don't own this thread after all) I'll participate. My feelings aren't hurt. Its been a long run and I've had a great time.

So here's one of several clips I have of a very good movie that's been a little short changed. Remember.. this movie came out FIRST and THEN they put it on Broadway.. not the other way around as is usual. Click HERE! and note a few things. First off.. the lady is no singer.. she's a hoofer. And for those of you (all three of you :biglaugh: ) who might know this movie from this clip.. this was before the Hays code was enforced. I have more of that later.

Secondly.. you guys see that even back then, Reno was known for its easy divorces? I wouldn't have known that unless I had seen this movie. So who are the two dames (one eating a banana and the other an apple) who are so "worldly" in knowing about these matters? You all know one of them very well. Again.. she's a hoofer and not a singer.

I hope you guys enjoy this. A real piece of Americana circa 1930-something.

sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been a fan of those Busby Berkeley films since my first film class in college.

They did a kind of 'follow up' to that number in a later movie, that's even 'racier', called 'Honeymoon Hotel'.

The Hays code put the kibosh on just about anything the least bit controversial. It must have been great to live in a country that treated adults like they were children.

Hiway29,

Sheesh! You're too smart! My next segment was to show one of his choreographies in this movie and ask everyone to name who did it. Of course.. anyone familiar with his work would know his signature right off. You've got a treat coming, my friend.. and since you know the movie.. My last post will be of the awesome finale. Great great movie! Thanks for all your input here, Hiway29. I wish there were more like you.

sudo

Well, Sudo, I'm sorry to hear you're, uh, 'bowing out'.

One of the reasons I don't participate much is, I don't really have an extensive collection of stuff to post. My taste is rather eclectic, and I'm sure people would get burned out on what material I do have (I mean, I'm sure people don't want to hear Jackson Browne all the time).

Another reason is, the era from which a lot of stuff is posted. It was before my time, therefore, I don't have a lot to offer in the way of comment. <_<

Again, I'm sorry to hear you're bowing out. Perhaps it will be a hiatus, perhaps not. In any event, thank you for the years you've kept the thread going. Fare thee well, my friend.

Sudo,

What a delightful clip and one that will be saved in my library. Some faces I've seen before but I wouldn't have known the cast by name.

Those old black and whites are the best, they just can't duplicate it no matter how techie we become. The language alone is rich and full of clever ways of saying things. Although my mouth is quite horrid so I don't mean to imply I'm above it but still all these f-this and g-d that doesn't make for entertainment like the days of old. I am so thankful I was born in the 50's and had exposure to such richness that today has been for the most part lost. Your clips have always reminded me of days that were a bit for humane towards each other. NOT PERFECT lest someone that does read here jumps on some bandwagon against me.

I admire your heart on all this and know that I added to the thread going down. I forgot my password required on my laptop and my PC is iffy right now so I can't rely on it. That has limited me from adding links and I am sorry I allowed this much time to pass and not address the issue.

We know many folks read here that never posted and I imagine they enjoyed this place even if they never felt a need to let you or any of us posters here know. We know by views alone the thread was followed. And so that accounts for something to me.

You are a good friend Sudo, and I enjoy our communication behind the scenes and am grateful you consider me a friend.

I will also miss hiwayman's input greatly as he is such a wellspring of fun knowledge.

May the God of our choice be with us all.

Kisses and Hugs,

Kathy

I see typo's but ain't gonna edit the post.

And Hi Sushi, I let you slip in without reading you.

I too have enjoyed everything posted here but am clueless as to post movie clips and such. You will truly be missed Sudo. Thanks for the wonderful Nostalga that you have brought back to mind. The warm fuzzies I remember of my youth. I will always prefer and old flick as opposed to a new. Thanks :cryhug_1_:

Sudo,

For some unknown reason, the latest "upgrade" of Windows Media Player looks like it's "playing" when it's actually buffering. But instead of starting to play right after it's through buffering, I have to close it and re-open the link to get it to play. I did enjoy "Shuffle Off to Buffalo" ---- eventually!

George

George,

Now that you know how the Media Player is working, I really think you'd appreciate the clip I posted of Harpo Marx. Click (or right click to download) HERE! You're a musician so I think this will really blow you away. But you know what? Its 30 megs. I know there are folks who just can't participate here if they don't have broadband.

Way back when I started the Nostalgia thread on WayDale hardly anyone had broadband. Nearly everyone had dial-up so all we could post were small WAV files. I did a lot... a LOT of trial and error learning how to convert MP3's, large WAV files, WMA's etc.. to low quality WAV files so that all of us could hear them on dial-up when we clicked on the link. I had found a freeware program on the internet that I still use called DbPoweramp that would do these conversions. I had Bluzeman and Wasway using the program and posting songs in no time. Then we all helped Chattykathy and others like Cowgirl and Krysillis learn to do this. Rick generously gave them all space on his server so they too could post tunes.

Now we're in the era of broadband. Things change. Certainly The Nostalgia thread has changed. Ah!! I get nostalgic about the Nostalgia thread :biglaugh: .

Here's another clip from that 1933 movie and its not that long. Its not a classic clip from the movie (I have those to post too) but I'm posting it for one reason only.. these girls were what was considered the epitome of beauty back then. What do you guys think?

Click HERE! Uh, the tune sorta' gives away the movie :)

sudo

Now that I 've actually seen the Harpo clip, I admit I'm impressed. It's a shame that a talent like that was largely overlooked in a clown with a honking horn! Something that other string players might relate to, but the rest of us wouldn't think of, is how hard plucking those strings is on the hands and fingers! My Dad had a friend who was the harpist for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. The man was laid up for about six months after heart surgery (How things have changed) and was disconsolate because he had lost all the calluses he had developed!

I think all the dancers in the second clip are pretty hot! None of them are skinny, but they're not chubby, either.

You keep posting, Sudo; and I'll try to keep up!

George

Kathy and George,

Ya'll saw it exactly as I did! These were full figured women with (as Kathy said) curves and (as I'm saying) great rear ends! :redface2:. Good gracious molly they were beautiful, huh? How did it happen that "gorgeous" women and models are now supposed to look bulimic??

George..

Re:"Now that I 've actually seen the Harpo clip, I admit I'm impressed."

Isn't that freaking something, George? Harpo plays that harp like a piano! I've never seen a harpist able to play individual notes like that. Most of them strum and pick a tad... but play Listz' Hungarian Rhapsody #2?? Naw... Never seen anything like it. I was a classically trained musician who went through college on a band scholarship and have heard many a harpist but NOTHING could compare to this. You might want to read my other comments on it previously but I really thought you'd want to see that George. We'd have been a lot busier here on the Nostalgia thread, I think, if other folks could see these posts of mine, too :( .

sudo

Just thought I'd put a plug in for my favorite Busby Berkeley film-'Footlight Parade'

It features 'By a Waterfall' one of the most amazing musical productions ever. And since we're talking about the beautiful women back then, this pre Hays code number features the sexiest women ever, including some underwater photography that is revealing for any age.

And the coolest James Cagney you ever saw in 'Shanghai Lil'. He plays a sailor on leave in China, in love with a Chinese prostitute. A fantastic saloon set, peopled with every race on earth sets the stage. Cagney and Ruby Keeler (made up to look Chinese, which is too bad, but that's another topic) dancing on top of the bar is perfect, and I have to say that Cagney out dances and easily 'outcools' Ruby.

All the Busby Berkeley films are available in nice packages from Warner Bros. If you haven't seen them and like that kind of thing it's well worth seeking out.

end of plug.

oh-it also features 'Honeymoon Hotel', an very funny and 'daring' follow up to 'Shuffle off to Buffalo'-

darn the Hays code-which killed great movies like this !

Hiway29,

Here's the Busby segment that I have had to shorten for George and others that don't have fast enough Internet connections to see...

If you guys aren't familiar with Busby Berkeley then this is a fine example. I'm posting it but I'm posting it for some comments.. How about the costumes? The most typical Berkeley shots are the overheads but other than that.. what gorgeous women, eh? And take a look at that 4th lady in the clip.. does she not look like the spitting image of Mary Tyler Moore??? Gorgeous women... who didn't have to starve themselves to appear bulimic!!

Click HERE! and lets hear what you guys think.

sudo (with one last one from this movie to post)

Sudo,

That clip was delightful and hubby wanted me to thank you for it as well, I showed him knowing he would enjoy it.

And a tad risqué but I know there are no virgin eyeballs around here. :wink2:

Sushi,

You might not ought to hang too close to me cause I probably could get us all sent to the dungeon.

I love that this place is still here and kicking, speaking of kicking.... :doh:

How sweet it is! Those where my favorites to watch, the kaleidoscope of filming, and fur over spandex although that's not what they called it back then.