Sudo

I see your lovely face all the time :)

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a Chatty Kathy doll growing up. It was the coolest doll ever until my brother decided to take it apart to see how it worked. It actually had a mini record in it, that played each time you pulled the cord. I glued her back together with airplane glue and kept her til I was about 10. Then my sister who is 7 yrs. younger than me came along and claimed it as hers. Those were the best of times. I have a sister in law Kathy and I call her (Chatty Kathy) cause she never stops talking. Love her dearly! It may have been a little off topic, but Nostalgic just the same. :)

Edited by Ca_dreaming

kathyafterredo.JPG

Here she is/was.

Does anyone recall this guy? What show was he on?

beanboy.jpg

Beany Copter

Another popular television series was The Beany and Cecil Show, a 1962-1968 cartoon series about a young boy, Beany, and his friend, Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent. Children could imagine themselves sharing Beany and Cecil's adventures while wearing this plastic version of Beany's distinctive propeller beanie.

beany96_88_1.jpg

"Beany and Cecil'. was originally a TV puppet show in the late 40's, created by animator Bob Clampett. It was extremely popular with adults as well as kids. Clampett resurrected it in the early 60's as a Saturday morning cartoon show. While it was on for several years, it was only in actual production for a couple of years.

I never had the Beany copter, but I did have a talking Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent. When you pulled the string it would say such things as "I"m coming, Beany Boy", and "D J you dirty guy!"

Pretty good cartoon show wasn't it?

Click HERE! for one of two theme songs I could find. I don't know which one this one is but its the one I remember most. Listen to the end where they are doing a promo for another ABC TV show. What? Kids watching Beanie and Cecil also like to watch VTBOS?? Evidently so.. *I* did!

We had one of those Cecil toys, too. You pulled the string and it said stuff like, "I'm coming Beanie boy!". It was burned in a house fire we had back in '67. It would probably be worth a few bucks today, huh?

sudo

That was a cool voice over from David Hedison promoting VTBOS. That would put the year around '65 (or later)-when Beany and Cecil were not in production, but still part of the ABC Saturday morning line up in re runs.

"Voyage" was actually an apt choice for a promo. Like all Irwin Allen shows, it started off somewhat serious, then devolved into a 'monster of the week' show. By it's 3rd season, the show was aimed almost at the age group that watched Beany, with undersea monsters that Cecil would have been right at home with if he wasn't so nice.

Hiway29,

What was the last anthology series you remember being on TV? I don't know myself but here's one that was pretty dang good. Produced by a Hollywood film heavyweight. He must have been slumming when producing this for TV. Click HERE! This was a series (short lived as it was) that I watched when my first born was a little baby girl. She's now a sophomore at my own alma mater... Ole Miss.

sudo

That was the show I was thinking of Sudo. He wasn't 'slumming' so much as 'spreading his wings' a little in a valiant effort to produce a one of a kind tv show.

If you don't mind a personal story-One of the first episodes had a story about an aircraft gunner in WW11 who's dream was to work for Walt Disney . He gets trapped in the plane when the landing gear goes out. he saves them by drawing a Disney like version of his plane, but with big cartoon like wheels, that suddenly appear on the real plane (I didn't say it made SENSE). When they landed his drawings opened the door for him to get hired by Uncle Walt himself.

I was sitting in a little apt in St Marys watching that, thinking about similar dreams , and wondering how i was ever going to realize them. It seemed as impossible as the guy in the show. I could not have imagined that 10 years later it would come true, and I sometimes think about that show and the night I saw it. I'll refrain from any 'being careful what you wish for' comments though.

Hiway29,

Its obvious you know the TV show. Maybe its a tough one but as I think of my grown daughter in college, I remember watching this when she was a baby. And yes.. I remember the very episode you describe. The man drew a wheel. It even had a patch on it, I believe, as if it had been repaired. I thoroughly (or is that 'throughly'?) enjoyed it. But then... in the same genre, I loved The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. I guess folks are too enamored with 'American Idol' type shows today to watch shows that stimulate the imagination.

sudo

Sushi,

Oh? What happens then when you click on one of my links.. like the last one.. <a href=http://sudo2u.com/afm.wav><B><font color=red>HERE!</font></B></a><center>sudo</center>/quote]

Apparently, my Musicmatch Jukebox doesn't like your files and won't let them play in my yard.

I've made Windows Media Player the default, now they can play, romp and whatever else they do when we're not looking. :biglaugh:

That was the show I was thinking of Sudo. He wasn't 'slumming' so much as 'spreading his wings' a little in a valiant effort to produce a one of a kind tv show.

If you don't mind a personal story-One of the first episodes had a story about an aircraft gunner in WW11 who's dream was to work for Walt Disney . He gets trapped in the plane when the landing gear goes out. he saves them by drawing a Disney like version of his plane, but with big cartoon like wheels, that suddenly appear on the real plane (I didn't say it made SENSE). When they landed his drawings opened the door for him to get hired by Uncle Walt himself.

I was sitting in a little apt in St Marys watching that, thinking about similar dreams , and wondering how i was ever going to realize them. It seemed as impossible as the guy in the show. I could not have imagined that 10 years later it would come true, and I sometimes think about that show and the night I saw it. I'll refrain from any 'being careful what you wish for' comments though.

I LOVED that episode! The artist was actually playing a "ball-turret" gunner. You know, the guy that rode in the thing pictured below. From what I read, they had a very short lifespan once a battle started.

plane05.jpg

The story was, that the landing gear had been damaged and the only way they could land was to do a "belly landing". Everyone would have come out ok except our hero the artist, who would obviously have been crushed in the process.

I was also a big fan of the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits!

Rick