GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Hey guys,

Here are the five stars that were in that little short clip which I'm also placing in this post for easy referral. First off everyone knew the hunchback was Charles Laughton though of course he was unrecognizable behind the make up. The second star folks recognized, Maureen O'Hara who as I said is still alive and played Emeralda.

The next one is Gringoire, the young man seen trying to jump into the cart with Esmeralda. This one is tough because he was a good looking man here in his youth. Edmond O'Brien... who was more of a character actor later in such movies that ya'll would know like White Heat. One of the best gangster movies that starred Cagney. He was also in The longest Day and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Here's his pic below.. He doesn't look anything like Gringoire does he?

flvplayer.swf

sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys.. :(

I'm kinda' bummed out so many of ya'll have never seen one of the greatest movies ever made. Gone With The Wind. And hey.. that's not just some dumb Southerner's opinion either. Here's The American Film Institute's top 100 films.. HERE! It is truly a marvelous film but you have to watch it start to finish. {sigh}

Maybe we ought to arrange a "Weenie Roast" kind of weekend where those interested check into a hotel that has a conference room where we could watch some of these classic movies for an entire weekend.

sudo

I've also been wondering about that new avatar of yours.....what exactly is he going to do with that gloved arm? :blink:

Being at that age where prostate health is a concern, I 'suspect' he is preparing for the most feared examination known to 'man' kind. The one which is colloquially known as 'the finger wave'. :evildenk:

I recieved Gone with the Wind on Dvd, last Christmas, now I can stop and start whenever I want and Yes I have watched it from start to finish with the aid of popcorn, etc.

It was wonderful, a great portrayal of what happened during the civil war. It rocks the charts in my book. You don't make them any better. What an achievement for 1939 in pictures!!!!!!!!

I have a short attention span with television and movies both. If they do not keep a certain pace or are not a subject I really enjoy like forensics and music history or the likes then I have difficulty sitting thru them, although I do love old black and white classics for the dialog alone.

So the couple of times I attempted to watch Gone with the Wind it was either at a time I was restless and did not get captivated by the dialog or something of that nature. Because the history aspect of it would not have kept my attention being truthful of myself.

AHH!-- Those epic movies and the memories they evoke,

When Dr. Zhivago came out, I was dating a young lady who was still living at home.

Her parents were inordinately preoccupied with knowing her whereabouts.

When we needed some "time alone", we would go to see yet another late night showing of Dr. Zhivago.

I probably hold the World record for seeing Dr. Z. more times than anyone who never actually saw it. :biglaugh:

Kathy,

Seeing a movie should be an enjoyable time. At least for movies that are made for entertainment. I can see where certain documentaries or educational movies don't have to be enjoyable but they weren't made to be.

Gone With The Wind and Doctor Zhivago were produced by major Hollywood studios to make a buck. Its perfectly OK to not watch a movie if you aren't enjoying it, IMO. My wife loves the movies Dirty Dancing and South Pacific fer instance and I can hardly make myself sit through them. Some folks like Chocolate and others would prefer vanilla.

So if you aren't getting into Gone With The Wind, that's OK with me. But it is in the top 5 of *my* all time favorite movies, personally. I watch it from time to time. Let me caution you about something you probably already know, its a very long film with an intermission. So if you watch it on TV that has commercials, they are going to cut it to death. Man that irks me when they do that :realmad:

That's why (as a matter of principle) I'll never watch a movie on commercial TV. I love the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) station, though. They always show their movies unedited. And for any Sons of the Desert reading this post.. I just recorded Laurel and Hardy's Way Out West on TCM and will be watching it again this weekend. I love the little dance number they do in it. They didn't usually do musical sketches.

sudo

You know what Sudo, I am going to get the movie (soon) and watch it because I do respect your taste in movies and music, not everything you like but pert near all of it. Plus I'm older and a bit more settled now which has to have some impact I would think.

:)

PS....I meant to reply earlier when I read this and got distracted.