The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I vaguely remember seeing it years ago, but I don't remember enough to recommend it. On the other hand, there is this review from the IMDb site:

It's been eight years since I first saw this movie, and it is still my personal live-action gold standard (Lilo & Stitch being my animated film gold-standard). It combines drama, tragedy, razor-sharp comedy, great performances, and the best dialogue that has ever been spoken on film, period.

I found this movie quite by accident--I was a sixteen-year-old with a Katharine Hepburn fixation. She mesmerized me; I wanted to BE her--smart, beautiful, sexy, and unwilling and unable to take anything off of anybody (except for Spencer Tracy, but that's another story). Honestly, I had no idea that there really had been such a person as Eleanor until I saw this movie. After watching my heroine portray her, I was determined to find out, though...so I have Katharine Hepburn to thank for my discovery of a new personal hero, and for my passion for medieval history.

It is true that this movie is not 100% factually accurate, not only because movie making dictates tinkering with history to create an interesting film, but also because, unfortunately, not too much is known about Eleanor herself. In the middle ages, women, even powerful, intriguing women like Eleanor, were not considered "important" enough to merit full biographical treatment. Most of Eleanor's history is recorded in the context of her sons and husbands. A good deal of this history was written by her detractors--people who disliked or disapproved of her for one reason or another. The simple explanation is that they felt that as a woman, she overstepped the bounds of what was considered "acceptable behavior" for a woman of the period.

That being said, this movie is 100% spiritually accurate. It perfectly captures the intrigue, the complexity of emotions and relationships, and tone of the age and the situation at hand. Though the sharp and witty dialogue is often considered a historical anachronism, this is not strictly true. Contrary to popular belief, people WERE educated in the middle ages, even women, if they were fortunate enough to be brought up in noble households, as Eleanor was. She was a brilliant woman, raised in a household where poetry and intelligent conversation were staples (her grandfather, after all, was one of the first troubadours). Henry was an intellectual powerhouse as well--he was a voracious reader who was often caught reading in church instead of paying attention to the sermons! It is unthinkable that these two minds would have produced stupid children, and the notion that the entire family should have only spoken in grunts and simple phrases is equally ludicrous.

Though not historically accurate, as other reviewers have noted, the strength of this movie lies in it's perfect portrayal of some of the most fascinating and complex personalities in recorded history. Henry, Eleanor, Richard, et al., make today's political and royal figures seem like low-rent bumbling hucksters.

Might be worth a look!

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

First one is Hank Azaria, who does Apu, Moe, and Chief Wiggum and MANY others. Second one is Dan(I THINK that's his first name) Castelenatta, who does Homer, Grandpa, Groundskeeper Willie, and MANY others.

Third one is Nancy Cartwrite who does Bart, Nelson, and some of the other kids. Don't remember the fourth one's name, but she does Lisa. Then we have Harry Shearer who I'm sure you will all remember as bass player Derek Smalls. :) . He does Mr. Burns and Smithers, to name a few.

There are a few others that weren't pictured, including Julie Kavner who does Marge's voice. She was also famous as Rhoda's sister, Brenda. And Marcia Wallace who does the voice of Mrs. Krabbapel.

Yeah, I'm a Simpons fan. :)

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

Gots one that may be of interest....

First is the audio that I recorded off of a 1960's TV program that I love. Click HERE! but I've also got the video to post if needs be. But I think with all the hints in the audio, folks will know it.

sudo

Yeah, the Ernest T. Bass reference at the end was obvious, though I knew what it was from the beginning.

In "Return to Mayberry," (the finest "reunion" show ever, IMHO) one of my favorite scenes is when Andy goes to see the Darlings and we have this exchange:

"Hey, Sheriff! Haven't seen you in a while."

"I've been out of town for twenty years."

"Well, I reckon that might PARTLY explain it."

George

• 2 weeks later...

George,

And as promised... here 'tis!! Your latest march that YOU WROTE YOURSELF!!!! Albeit performed by a band not up to your composing standards. Hey guys.. click HERE! and listen to Our Strong Refuge written by our own George St.George! I had a high school band director that was a Sousa maniac. He loved the guy so much that he would never let us play Stars And Stripes Forever because he didn't think we could do justice to the piece.

This march by our own George St. George reminds me so much of a Sousa march and take it from me because I know what I'm talking about... it's really good. Very talented. But then... some of yous don't care nothing about marches so that's your loss but as for me.. I'm very very impressed... if only George could get a marching band to record it. Half way through the piece, you can hear a pretty decent clarinet doing scales :).

sudo