GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Kathy,

I was just mentioning this tune this past week here so it hit me to post it. I didn't edit it for size.. its in its full MP3 glory so those with dial up may not be pleased as it's a little over 4 meg. I mentioned that my high school band director never let us play this song. I'm not SURE why but I suspect he considered it... like... sacred or something along those lines. That we as a high school band had no business attempting to play it as we could never do justice to it.

During my junior year, the entire Messick high school band traveled to Jackson, Tn (about 1 1/2 hours away) on buses to hear the Marine band that was performing there. They had no qualms about performing this piece and the look on Mr. Swayzee's face as they did so. He talked about it the rest of the year.. especially how (don't know why this impressed him) the trombones were playing as one unit on the coda.

We really should have played this song during my 10th grade year as we had a flute (and piccolo) player who could have hacked that very difficult solo part with ease. He was 1st chair flute all-state Tennessee his senior (my 10th grade) year.

And what song could I be talking about? Why probably the most patriotic American march ever written. Sousa claimed that the whole song came to him in a vision while on a boat crossing the ocean and who am I to doubt him? George knows what I'm going to post right now. Maybe some others of you do too. Click HERE!

sudo (wishing all a Happy Memorial day!!)

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't believe your director never had you play that song! You're probably the only band in the country that didn't!

Most people don't realize that Sousa wrote words to it, as well. They have nothing to do with "web-footed friends." :rolleyes:

Let martial note in triumph float, and liberty extend her mighty hand.

A flag appears 'mid thunderous cheers, the banner of the Western land.

The emblem of the brave and true

(Its folds protect no tyrant crew)

The red, and white, and starry blue is Freedom's shield and hope.

Let Eagle shriek from lofty peak the never-ending watchword of our land.

Let summer breeze waft through the trees the echo of the chorus grand.

Sing out for Liberty and Light,

(Sing out for Freedom and the Right)

Sing out for Union and its might

O patriotic sons.

Other nations may deem their flags the best and cheer them with fervid elation,

But the Flag of the North and South and West is the Flag of Flags

The flag of freedom's nation. (repeat)

Hurrah for the Flag of the Free!

May it wave as our standard forever.

The gem of the land and the sea,

The banner of the right.

Let despots remember the day

When our fathers with mighty endeavor

Proclaimed as they marched to the fray

That by their might and by their right it waves forever!

Someday, when I transfer the tape I have of my marches to CD, I'll also send along a track of the Brazosport College and Community Band playing the song, with yours truly on piccolo. (Not my primary instrument, but I did a pretty good job.)

Every two years, the National Band Association has a convention, and for the last dozen conventions, they have organized a National Community Band, made up of players from community bands across the country. We would rehearse about five times and have a concert, all in the space of three days! :o Several of the concerts have been mock-ups of Sousa shows, ending, of course, with the Stars and Stripes Forever. I still remember the very first one. At the final trio, with the piccolos, trumpets, and trombones all up front, a giant flag rolled down from above, behind the band. I started to cry. What can I say? I'm a sentimental slush!

George

. . . son Paul is preparing to audition for the US Marine Corps band.

I always considered myself a most fortunate mother because I didn't need to worry about him getting hurt on the field.

He was looking so cool (in my eyes) up in the bandstand.

Edited by Kit Sober

. . . son Paul is preparing to audition for the US Marine Corps band.

Is this one of the smaller regiment bands or the main Marine Corps Band? The regiment bands are fine, but the Marine, Air Force, and Navy Bands are amazing! One of the perks to attending the National Band Association conventions was to hear the different bands, and one of the top service bands was always featured. The other bands made me want to go home and practice; the service bands made me want to go home and throw my horn out! :D

George

Kit,

Re:". . . son Paul is preparing to audition for the US Marine Corps band."

Like George was referring to.. I'm assuming this is *the* Marine corps band. If he makes it.. its a cushy life. You get paid to play your horn all day and retire with half pay after only 20 years.

sudo

George,

I never watched this show that I can remember. I remember his Satarday morning cartoon show a lot better. We also bought one of his albums.. To My Brother Russell Who I Slept With. It was pretty funny.

sudo

He played a high school phys ed teacher on the show. He was a hip single teacher, and the action would shift from school, to his out of work life. A pretty good show, but nothing groundbreaking, except that it was still unusual for a black man to have his own show.

I remember one episode clearly where the basketball team was getting a lot of technicals for bad language. "Chet" decided to make them run laps, etc., whenever he heard foul language in practice. He told one kid to hop backwards around the gym on one foot. "I've never heard of a punishment like that!" "I've never heard a WORD like that!" What actually gets the kids to stop cursing is that the girlfriend of one of them is coming to a game, so he tells the guys to cool it. They start saying things like "Fudge!" and "Peanuts!" Even the referees started doing it. :P

George

• 2 weeks later...

I've always liked Cosby's stories.

I consider him to be more of a story teller than a joke teller.

However, I can't say that I remember this show at all.

Gee, I wonder if it might have coincided with that time in my life when I didn't own a T.V.? :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me about this cute little spud and how he came about. Who created him?

When did he become a hit? Where was he made?

With out looking it up of course!!!!!! :biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...

(((((((((((((((((((((SUDO))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Any details you could add!!!!

((((((((((((((((ANYONE)))))))))))))))))))))

I'd need to look it up also, but I think it was invented in the late 40's.

I was never that crazy about it. As a kid, I thought it would be fun to use a real potato, instead of the plastic one, but don't recall if I ever tried.I'm not sure the plastic pieces were durable enough for the task.

I remember the "Mr. Potato Head" that I got for Christmas in the '50s.

I don't even remember there being a artificial potato to use, though. We always just used a real potato. Wasn't that the idea?

Can you imagine buying one for your kid today? "What, no graphics or artificial intelligence? Man, this sucks!"

FYI-

Mr. Potato Head was the invention of George Lerner in the late 1940s. The idea was originally to have it be a prize in breakfast cereal so that the separate parts could be distributed as cereal package premiums. But later Lerner showed the idea to the textile manufacturers Henry and Merrill Hassenfeld, who did business as the Hassenfeld Brothers (later shortened to Hasbro). and they loved it,so they bought back the rights.

When the toy was first manufactured, it came with 30 accessories.

When it was first sold to the public in 1952 it became the first toy to be sold through national television advertising and netted Hasbro over USD$4 million in Mr. Potato Head sales in its first year of production. In 1953, Mrs. Potato Head was added, and soon after Brother Spud and Sister Yam completed the Potato Head family. Although originally produced as separate plastic parts to be stuck into a real potato or other vegetable, a plastic body was added to the kit in the late 1950's.

There you have it.