GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

When it was first sold to the public in 1952 it became the first toy to be sold through national television advertising and netted Hasbro over USD$4 million in Mr. Potato Head sales in its first year of production.

A fairly significant amount of money in 1952.

George

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

they are all cartoon dogs

George,

I don't know all of them but Daisy belongs to the Bumsteads, Odie belongs to Garfield's Jim and Ruff belonged to the Mitchell's. I believe that Barfy might have been in Family Circle. Did Bullet belong to Snuffy? I'm drawing a complete blank on Otto.

sudo

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone into 50's cult films??

I saw the movie this past week on TCM (man I love that channel) and was a little surprised by the songs in it. You guys have probably heard the first on (click HERE!) for years. But what about this one? Click HERE! Can anyone tell me who it is singing these songs? Any idea why the words are slightly different? You might also be surprised as to who wrote the song.

sudo (thinking it was getting dusty in here)

George,

You're right. The URL was wrong but try it now! However.. a state and a Sesame street character?? I.... don't..... think so but I could be totally missing your clues, too.

sudo (thinks he may see a little sunshine... in the corner)

Chatty,

Its good to see YOU here, too. And hey!~ Bulwinkl!! Have you had time to see what all we do here? This thread is the longest on the Greasespot though its been quiet lately. I see I've been too obtuse with information on the Thunder Road songs. See, I thought most folks would have known the first one (click HERE!) and would have scratched their heads like I would have done on the second one (click HERE!) But I see not everyone's seen the movie. Ah ha!

So now its time to give hints. The singer in the first one isn't known as a singer at all but rather as a dramatic actor. Here he is singing again in another movie (click HERE!) and there's BIG time extra points if anyone knows this movie from the clip. There are a lot of hints I could give for that movie. In fact, let me just do it since its pretty obscure... its the only movie ever directed by the actor who played Inspector Javert.

sudo

I can't be the ONLY one here who saw that movie.

The second one I'm pretty sure isn't Bobby Sherman. My sister had every record he ever made when we were growing up and I was forced to listen to his tripe to the point that it scarred me for life. :) I was a Black Sabbath fan about that same time.

Rick

OK, since we know it's Robert Mitchum, can I post another? :)

I'm going to post 2 versions. THIS one is a low quality wav, and got cut off before it ended. But if you have broadband, THIS mp3 is the good version!

Now, this song was used in a movie made in the 90's. It was an imporant part of that movie.

Oh, as some of you know, I have moved (long story but the short version is they wanted to build a new school and everyone had to sell their property). So when I was setting up my new office, I went for the gusto and got the "silver" package from Time Warner. This is my upload and download speed now. I've checked multiple times a day for 2 weeks now and I'm getting this speed consistanly! :)

spdtst.bmp

Rick