The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know, but you've been saying that the last several times you've posted. Not trying to be critical, just don't see the need.

well, you haven't noted it THAT often, so I'm wrong-I know you're nostalgic for the days when it was more active here-which I certainly understand

• 3 weeks later...

Riddle me this, Nostalgic Ones! What do the following TV shows have in common (other than that they're old)?

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

Make Room for Daddy

The Dick Van Dyke Show

That Girl

The Andy Griffith Show

The Guns of Will Sonnett

Gomer Pyle, USMC

I Spy

The Mod Squad

Eight Is Enough

Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer

George

TV theme songs have gone by the wayside in today's market. They want to get you in before you have time to change the channel.

I guess I'm a dinosaur, but part of what gave a show it's identity was the theme song. Just thinking of the Dick Van Dyke, or Dobie Gillis theme , connects you with memories of the show.

I'm not sure you're referring to the same guy, but I just read an obit about the man who wrote the Star Trek theme. That was his major claim to fame according to the LA Times. If he also wrote Dick Van Dyke, and Andy Griffith's theme, I'd argue that.

hiway,

That's an interesting coincidence, that Alexander Courage should die at about the same time. The only TV theme I know that he did, though, was Star Trek. He wrote many movie scores, however, including "The Wind and the Lion."

The composer of all teh TV themes I listed was Earle Hagen, who also died a couple of days ago. His most famous NON-television theme is Harlem Nocturne which eventually was used as the Mike Hammer theme.

George

I'm pretty sure we've used every one of his theme songs in years past at one time or another. Click HERE! for the most well known and beloved theme song he wrote. You might not know this, though.. it is Earle himself doing the whistling! I didn't know that. Click HERE! for one that may give you guys some trouble!

sudo

George,

You're right on both counts. I see you haven't forgotten the way to post answers here without giving it all away. Do you think there might be any interest in another one or two? I have missed this thread as well.

sudo

I'm always game. We have to figure a way to attract newbies, though. With Bluzeman, Chatty Kathy, and Pirate in retirement :rolleyes: we need a few more players!

George

I like to lurk but I don't really play. I'm kinda "techno-retarded".

Waysider,

Sudo is usually our master when it comes to posting songs, etc., and disguising their names (so you can't see what it is when you open it). The way we usually respond is not to come right out and say the answer but to give some clue that says we know what it is but still lets others guess. Then, eventually, someone will give the whole answer. For instance, when Sudo posted these:

So looking at the guesses HERE! and HERE!

I mentioned the "no brag, just fact" guy and a mod-ern tune.

"No brag, just fact." was Walter Brennan's catch line in "The Guns of Will Sonnett." "Mod-ern" hinted at "The Mod Squad."

Sudo, how's about giving us another one (and it doesn't have to be an Earle Hagen tune) to see how Waysider fits in?

Waysider, if you don't have any idea what Sudo posts, just say so. I wonder if this thread has essentially died off because people are looking but just not responding. :unsure:

George

Waysider,

Sometimes its not music. In this case I'm posting something that breaks my heart every time I see it from a movie starring Gary Sinise and John Malcovich. I'm kinda' getting the impression you might be up for this kind of thing. I'll let you take first shot.. click HERE!... What's the movie and what is about to happen. Of course this IS a public forum so ANYONE wanting to jump in here is fine.

sudo

Oh, man!

I had to do that scene for an acting class I took a long time ago!

I'm going to blow the dust off that old script and look at it for old-times sake.

(That is, if the mice haven't gotten in and eaten the darn thing by now.)