GreaseSpot Cafe

Tapping the GSCafe Knowledge Base

krys

I have a few questions - if you have any insight - I'd appreciate your comments. You'll soon see how little I know about modern TV's and other important information!

I need a new TV. I'm confused.
  • I'd like to get an HDTV but I wonder if it's worth the extra money.
  • what is the advantage of "Wide Screen"
  • I've been told that plasmas aren't worth the money and I don't think I need that...but what about "flat screen"?
  • Is one brand significantly better than another or should price be my guide?

I have a broken window...the cord is broken so the window will not stay up.

• can it be repaired?? if so what kind of repair-person do I call?
  • Do I have to buy a new set of windows for that room?

I have 2 cats who love to sun themselves in the window sills. Each has fallen through a screen one time. I live on the second floor of a 2 story house. Since the cooler weather is here, I'd like to open the windows on nice days. How can I keep my cats from falling out? They are inside only cats.

quote:
    I have a broken window...the cord is broken so the window will not stay up.

can it be repaired?? if so what kind of repair-person do I call?

Do I have to buy a new set of windows for that room?

If it is one of those old fashioned windows with the weights it can be fixed pretty easily, I'd explain it-but it would be easier to call a local glazing, glass or window shop, Its a small deal(less than an hour). Until then cut a stick to prop the window up-and keep your fingers, kids and cats out of the opening!

Lol Krys good questions...I will ask mark ...as he is a contractor about your windows when he gets home in a couple of days.

We have a broken rope in our windows and just use a broom stick to hold it up...(though it is very dangerous if you have little ones)

If I am not mistaken though....you can remove the facade on the inside with a crow bar and repair the rope.....but maybe that is just with older windows like mine.

He also has a good knowledge about tv`s ..I wilol ask him about those as well...we have a big screen that we like ...it was given to us by folks who replaced it with a plasma screen...frankly...they decided they liked the big screen better.

I noticed this week that walmart had a small plasma screen tv that wasn`t unreasonable.

Krys: On the TV:

--HDTV is really nice, but unless you have a digital cable or satellite provider, you won't get your TV programs in HD, and even then you don't get all of the channels in HD, only a few that broadcast in HD. However...

--HDTV-ready screens are also capable of showing hi-def output from DVDs, if you have a "progressive-scan" DVD player (most are, nowadays. If your player is older, you can replace it with a progressive scan model for under $100.) Until HDTV becomes more widespread, this is the real selling point of HD-capable TVs. Make sure you get "component" video cables (red, green, blue) not "composite" video cables (red, white, yellow). You get the best possible picture with component video, the next best is S-video, then composite. Don't pay $40-$50 for cables, either. They really aren't worth it. Any good-quality RCA-connector cable will work just fine. If you start getting any picture noise (rare) then shell out for the Monster Cables, otherwise, it's Wal-Mart specials. Usually your TV or DVD player will come with a set of component cables if it's a decent one.

--Plasma is pricy. If you want to go that high-end, look at the DLP technology TVs instead. You'll get a bigger screen for the $$$. You'll still need some sort of HDTV receiver, either from your cable/satellite provider or a standalone tuner that you can get local HDTV broadcasts off of. (unless the TV has a built in HD tuner.)

--Regardless of which way you go, flat screen is always better. Curved screens will pick up glare from every light source in the room, whereas flat screens will only reflect it in one location. If there's glare on the screen, you usually only have to move the offending lamp or your chair a little bit and the glare is reflected out of your line of sight.

Bottom line, for the most part, you're buying an HD screen for gorgeous DVD movie watching today, with HDTV coming along as it grows in popularity. If you watch a lot of movies, it's worth it. Make sure you have a good surround-sound system too, if you're going to drop that much on a TV. Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS capability are a must in your amplifier. (Then buy the new DVD set of the Star Wars trilogy and get blown away... icon_biggrin.gif:D--> )

I have HD-delivering cable service...and don't mind the extra cash they charge as I don't spend much money of entertainment and spend a lot of time in the house watching TV. I have a number of HD cable channels already.

Someone is gifting me a Bose cd-radio and I was thinking of running the sound through that. This room is pretty small for surround sound...it could be overwelming.

The Star Wars trilogy is already on order icon_smile.gif:)-->

The window is easy to repair. Here’s how.

Remove one of the two vertical pieces of trim (called stop molding) on the inside of the window, room side of the sash (the part that slides up and down). You can then take the sash out of the window frame, by raising it slightly and swinging the now-free side out.

On each side of the sash, there will be a slot into which the cord fits. At the lower end of each slot, the cord should be knotted and nailed to the sash. Remove the old cord and set the sash aside.

Remove the two vertical pieces of trim (called casing) on each side of the window frame, the ones between the window and the wall. That will allow access to the window weights and the rest of the cord. Take the weights out and remove the old cord.

Cut two pieces of sash cord long enough to attach to the sash, run over the pulley in the window frame, and hang down a foot or so. Better a little long than too short.

Tie a knot in one end of each cord, and attach one knotted end to each side of the sash, in the slot.

With the cords running up through the slots, place the sash back in the window frame. Thread the cords through the corresponding pulleys. Replace the stop molding. Before you drive in all the nails, make sure the sash slides up and down freely.

Tie a weight on the free end of each cord, let them dangle in their proper place, and replace the two pieces of casing.

Touch up as necessary with a little caulk and paint.

BTW, if any of your wooden windows bind, paraffin (like is used in canning) is a great lubricant. Just rub a piece of it on all surfaces where two pieces of wood rub against each other. It works wonders. It’s also great on old wooden drawers.

krys: You don't need to have a 15" subwoofer for your surround sound or anything, but no room is too small not to benefit from surround sound.

The Bose wave radio is good, and you'll get quite decent sound out of it, but if you're going to drop thousands of bucks on a TV, spend another thousand and get Bose's small combo DVD-player/surround sound package. I think it's called the "Lifestyle" or some such. You don't have to blow out the windows to see what a HUGE difference surround sound makes for DVDs.

(And if you do want to blow out the windows just for fun, go rent "U-571". The depth charge explosions are some of the most bone-jarring sound effects ever filmed. Won an Oscar for them.)

Take a good look at the Samsung DLP tvs. A buddy at work has one and it's got a GORGEOUS picture.

Have much fun,

Zix

I agree with Zix on the flat screen/no glare benefit. It's a biggie, and really simplifies lighting and viewing.

The flat plasmas are dropping in price although I haven't bought one yet. When they first came out they were what, 30-40 grand. Now you can get a 27 inch for about 5 grand. Pricey for me right now still. I've got one for my pc monitor, and it's nice, I'm near a ceiling light, no glare whatsoever. Less space, it's nice.

HDTV - worth it if your cable delivers, and if you're really in to DVD's. If you're pulling both, definitely good.

I'm shopping too for a plasma flat screen, but not in the near future. Have one flat screen tv in the house, it's great.

Krys -- my house was built in 1896, and I have windows like that too. I did pretty much everything Long Gone said (several years ago), to fix the broken ropes on the front porch windows.

The hardest part for me, was to get the molding off slooowly, so that the wood did not split, and break in pieces. The rope itself is easy enought to replace, but the first time I did it, I bought some kind of "braided rope" that stretched way too much -- and had to re-do it with a different type of rope.

Like others here have suggested, I also used a wooden board to prop the thing open before it got fixed. Good luck! icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
    Originally posted by TheManOfa Thousand ScreenNames:

If you have the windows I think you have, you could probably just open them from the top

That's one thing I love about double hung (upper and lower sashes move) windows. A few years ago, I bought some white shower board and cut it in pieces to fit the panes in the lower sashes of all my upstairs bedroom windows, then installed it in each sash, on the inside of the pane, using glazing points to hold it. I can now open the top sashes, turn on my attic fan, and have great ventilation, but nobody can see into the rooms, even at night with the lights on. (There aren't any other two story houses in direct eyesight.) I still get plenty of light through the upper sashes in the daytime and the lower sashes look fine. They're just pure white, rather than transparent.

the others have given good information on replacing the cord, assuming it is that type of weight balance and sash cord, and I assume it is.

As for screening, I would use aluminum screens rather than fibreglass as protection for cats, and against cats destroying them. If additional guards are needed, perhaps some 1/2 inch wire mesh at your hardware store, secured with screws/washers to the window frame. Or new windows.

Geesh, you are thinking of pricey tvs, but balk at new windows? Depending on what part of the country you are in, new windows may well be a money making opportunity for you. If you are in a cold region, or in a hot region, the new technology vinyl replacement windows can save energy (and therefore money) enough to pay for themselves in a few years. They are an improvement in both heat loss (winter) and heat gain (summer), saving energy year round. Coupled with the resale value when you go to sell, they are a wise choice.

Around here, homebuyers are definetly factoriing in the window quality when they make an offer. Replaced windows are found in so many houses that if yours does not have them, you are at a disadvantage when they compare apples.

Finally, the ease with which new windows operate is such a relief if you have been having to fight to open your old drafty, need to be painted windows. Cleaning new windows is also easier (sorry John and Hope), as the new windows generally can be cleaned from the inside by tilting them inward, or spinning them inward in the case of sliders.

Street and other outside noise is also better blocked by the new windows, especially if properly installed with expanding foam around the edges. I have many contracts under an airport noise mitigation program, where the airport operator is giving homeowners money for windows or new airconditioning due to past decibel level violations. (I am not sure about how well they block the sound of falling cats- I will have to test that sometime teehee- bad joke)

New windows efficiently save energy, money, block noise, operate more freely, require no additional storm windows (less glass to clean), fit most architectural integrity issues on older or historic homes, and give a good return on resale in most areas of the country.

new vinyl replacement windows should be available for around $200 avg per window, double that if you need someone to install them. Don't buy the box store crap versions (Home Depot/Lowes etc.) Find a contractor to get you custom sized quality windows. (PT to me if you want more info) Do not be flamboozled by the guy who quotes you $700 for his window. He has the same window I sell for $400, he just has to pay his phone room and for his hawaii vacation. shop around till you are comfortable with your purchase.

Now I return you to your scheduled Hi-definition TV program. heehee.

~HAP the window/kitchen/bathroom/basement guy

Never thought I would agree with Hap so whole-heartedly, but ---

quote:
    Geesh, you are thinking of pricey tvs, but balk at new windows?

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

HA! Get new windows, forget the TV, save some money on cable, HD-tv, etc., and watch the reality shows right out there on your own street! icon_cool.gif

Thanks HAPe - -

I've pretty well decided against HDTV because of the high pricetag. I need a new TV, that's for sure....but with a flat screen, I think that should be fine for now.

I've come across a "small" windfall, and need to squeeze as much out of it as possible!

I'm not going to buy new windows because I don't own the house!

The landlord is working with me to upgrade some of the features of this apartment. The kitchen floor is mid-sixties loud Mediteranian bue-green-gold and is so loud that I have to look twice to find the cat's dishes! That is the first thing to be replaced, and he will split the cost with me.

The windows are double hung, but he will change them out but not untel next spring or the following fall....priorities, ya know.

In that case, there are many good standard-tube-type flat screen TVs to choose from. I've always had excellent results from Toshiba, since their color reproduction seems to be the best (to me).

Most Toshibas also have the "component" video input (red, green, blue) which, although not true hi-def, will still give you the highest possible picture quality if your DVD player is also equipped with component video-out. (Most are, unless really, really cheap.) I have a 27" and a 13" Toshiba, both with component video. (Toshiba calls it "ColorStream", but it's the same thing.)

You should be able to find an excellent flat-screen standard-def tv for $500 or less.

quote:
    I have 2 cats who love to sun themselves in the window sills. Each has fallen through a screen one time. I live on the second floor of a 2 story house. Since the cooler weather is here, I'd like to open the windows on nice days. How can I keep my cats from falling out? They are inside only cats.
    Krys, I'm not positive about this but I think I heard someplace that there are fasteners that exist for screens, so that they hold in place under pressure. That way, you may be able to open the bottom portion of the windows and let the cats have fun without worrying. I asked our maintenance man to check it out for me but haven't heard back yet. Perhaps you might want to check that out locally at a Home Depot or something ...

icon_smile.gif:)-->