GreaseSpot Cafe

An A**Hole Burned Down My Camp

OnionEater

Got a call last night from the Canadian Mounties that someone burned my camp down up in Prince Edward Island. Last year at this time it was trashed with $4500. damage to it.

It's and old 30 foot trailer but everything inside had been replaced and was like new, furnace, water heater, refrigerator, stove and a 5000 watt generator all replaced in the last year.

I have a picture of the land and camp in the Brrrr thread, last page (every picture tells a story section).

Wednesday my wife and I are heading up there and I will post a few pictures. Luckily I doubled my insurance last month on it.

Edited by OnionEater

I had it way under insured but my agent suggested I increase it because of all the new fixtures. Sure glad I took his advise but it is still not enough to cover the replacement.

My body finds it extreemly difficult to make the trip nowdays so I guess it may be for the best. It won't be replaced but I will never sell the land as it was in my wife's family since 1850.

quote:
Is there a lot of vandalism up there, or are you the sole beneficiary?

As beautiful and charming as the place is it has a high vandalism and theft rate. Everyone I have talked to up there has had something vandalized or stolen from them. Mostly by young punks as there is nothing for them to do except get drunk and get into trouble.

I am "From Away" so that puts me on the top of the list. I have been warned many times by many people not to have a camp there. My place is only 3 miles from a Mountie Barracks and relatives live only one mile away.

Not going up till next week, Insurance Co. wants time to investigate before talking to me.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:
It's a miracle there wasn't a huge forest fire as well OE...so close to the bush!!

Fortunately they had two weeks of rain up in PEI and the woods were very wet. Some of the trees were burned a little but still it amazed me that the whole forest didn't burn.

The RCMP were extreemely nice to me and acted like normal people, not like the tough police talk lingo you hear in the States.

OE,

Amazing to hear about the fire remaining contained. Glad to hear your land was somehow protected from an all out forest fire.

quote:
The RCMP were extreemely nice to me and acted like normal people,...

I'm pleased to hear you were treated nicely OE. In all my encounters with the police and/or RCMP's (not that there have been many mind you) I've never once run into a 'yahoo' type.

icon_smile.gif:)-->