GreaseSpot Cafe

personal accomplishments

rascal

I am so proud,

My 16 yr old daughter and I recieved our promotion to brown belt in karate this week!

One step below black! Still a lot of work ahead of us, but a milestone non the less, as this now places us in the catagory of *advanced* students!!!

Becoming proficient at martial arts was a dream I set aside when I was young, as unatainable...it is hard to explain.....maybe this is a mid life crisis thing....

I guess that I just needed to have a personal accomplishment ..... something to counter the crushing feelings of failure after realising that I had wasted such an enormous portion of my life.

When I started, I was 40 yrs old, had been preggers for like 14 years straight ...lol

Needless to say, I was badly overweight, severly asthmatic (5`1 and 190...gasp) and out of shape.....could not do 5 sit ups, a single push up nor kick above the belt if my life depended on it.....the kids used to make fun of me n say...*don`t be by miss cathy during jumpin jacks....man, alla that flyin flab`l knock ya plumb out!*....or, *man, ya gonna register that stuff as a deadly weapon?*...lol One of the kids used to do a hysterical representation of me trying to do techniques with my huge bu tt stickin out....it really WAS funny, lol

Anyway, in the three years that I have been studying, we have not seen anyone make it to this level in our school, my instuctor said that we are the first girls in his 25 years of teaching that he has EVER promoted to this rank!

There is another lady and her 17 yr old daughter who were promoted with us....it has been so fun for my daughter and I to have mutual friends in persuit of the same goal, friends to study with, to agonise over tests with...to celebrate our victories with... to have such good people placed in our lives....is truly a blessing.

My secret dream is to continue to study...maybe get good enough that I could open a karate school someday with an after school program for the kids as an alternative to day care, or going home to an empty house....

I want to thank everyone for your prayers last month, I have had wonderfull things happen since then, due in no small part, I am sure to your heartfelt prayers.

Another fun development this month.....

I have been given a dream job, with unbelievable benefits, medical/dental insurance for the family, paid vacations etc....hey I have never been much more than a waitress, security guard ...etc...not much over min. wage ever earned....

I love the work, I love the people, hours are perfect....and I am getting paid more than double any salary I have ever recieved in my life.

God is good, life is sweet...so much to be gratefull for....my only concern now is to keep all of the balls that I am currently juggeling in the air....

CONGRATS!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Never give up on your dreams.

I am 43 and still playing competive racquetball.

I am leaving for Phoenix today to compete in a my first tournament since I got got sponsored by Pro Kennex racquetball. (this is the first year that I have ever been sponsored).

"if winning isn't everything, why do we keep score?"

Thanks Act 2, apreciate it.

That is really impressive Z, congratulations! I love Raquette ball, but neither have the agility or skill to play very well.

Living our dreams is SO cool, something that was stolen....and is now recovered....and now all the more precious to us

Congratulations rascal, I am so proud of you and your kids. You worked very hard for this so I know you deserve the rank, and I hope you really enjoy it a good long time.

I'm so glad for the new job too. The benefits are worth their weight in gold even if you didn't get such a huge pay raise!

"Good on you"!!!

krys

Rascal,

Are you really only 5'1"?? You seem taller in person. Must be your exuberant dynamic personality and I'm serious. Congratulations but we weenies knew this was coming soon. Excellent news about the job, too. Just excellent.

People SHOULD have a lot of the good times in this life. We all know about having to deal when life's not so good, huh?

But to whom much is given.. much is required. I'll be expecting you to have the Black Belt by next weenie roast time! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

sudo
Edited by Sudo