GreaseSpot Cafe

Presence of mind for presence of Christmas presents

Kit Sober

Wracking the brain for presents for hard to get for people.

Came across gazillion gifts at Klutz.com, and until 12/13, they are giving free shipping and a $10 discount on orders over $60.

Coming from the California Bay area I found perfect gifts there for two Very Intelligent nephews who live in Connecticut and one brother and his significant other and for one son.

Any other good ideas you've come up with for presents?

Hopefully,

Kit

quote:
Originally posted by Kit Sober:

Wracking the brain for presents for hard to get for people.

Came across http://klutz.com, and until 12/13, they are giving free shipping and a $10 discount on orders over $60.

Coming from the California Bay area I found perfect gifts there for two Very Intelligent nephews who live in Connecticut and one brother and his significant other and for one son.

Any other good ideas you've come up with for presents?

Hopefully,

Kit

Gift cards! Pre-loaded Visa debit cards or Amex debit cards. I have seen far too many presents in my life that go unused. If you don't KNOW what the other party wants or needs (not your guess, not what he asks for, but what he really wants or needs), then a pre-loaded debit card is the best bet -- they can go get something they really want or really need!

I've had a problem getting a gift for special people who have everything. They have loved 2 things I've figured out.

Check with your local florist and FTD a special Christmas arrangement. I got one from my florist the first year I decided it wasn't worth it to put up a tree. It did the trick of making my living room festive, and the pine smell was still there. Some people would love such a piece to use as a centerpiece on their holiday table.

Another thing I've sent with great results was special food.....Omaha Steaks, Mrs. Prindible's Apples, Junior's Cheesecakes....or any other special food that they might enjoy.

Your town, or local mall may have a gift shop which specializes in gift baskets. I once sent one to a coffee lover with several kinds of ground coffee, a few kinds of things to go with it and "little" things to be enjoyed with it....Even chocolate coated spoons to make any kind of chocolate-enhanced flavor of one's choosing.

I absolutley refuse to buy anything for my 18 year old daughter.....too small, wrong color, last years style, only a geek would wear that Dad, etc, etc, etc.

She thinks it is pretty cool to have a glass of wine once in awile, so I bought three single servering bottle of different wines, and wrapped a $50 bill around each one.

As expected she shakes the presents all the time trying to figure out what they are. One of them apparently is not wrapped very tight because she can hear the liquid when she shakes the package. She can't imagine what it is, probably hoping it isn't some cheap perfume or a bottle of shampoo.

Paw,

Re:"You can never go wrong with a gift package containing Imitation Cheese..."

WHAT??? Imitation cheese? You've GOT to be kidding!! You're talking some soy product cheese substitute amalgamation?? Pu-leeeze set me straight that I've got it all wrong, Paw.

I mean REAL cheese is a bona fide delicacy especially if you can go to a cheese shop and pick out imported cheeses made from pure un-homogenized and/or unpasturized milk. You can't get those here because of U.S. regulations I understand. Maybe even a few good goat cheeses. There's cheeses for all holidays and wines.

But imitation cheese??? Gawd, Paw, I'd sooner eat those little mints you find at Baptist wedding receptions.

sudo

Sudo,

Have you not ever gotten one of those presents that consist of cheese wedge, crackers and a sausage roll?

One year I was very bored one evening and read the ingredients. The packaging was more Nutritious than the contents, which was a cheese Product not actual cheese.

Every year my kids ask me what to get thier dad for Christmas and I tell them the same thing, give him a gift card or give him something he can take back and get what he wants cuz he is the hardest person to buy for. BTW this year he wants a new truck and I told him to get it himself if he wants one bad enough. Hee hee