GreaseSpot Cafe

Those Pesky Household Chores

way back in the 70s

OK, all...I had to pluck up my courage to start a discussion, but I am really curious about comments regarding house inspections, the "right way" to fold t-shirts, clean vents behind sofas, etc etc. I admit I am rather casual about my home--we LIVE in every room and it is comfortably clean, but yes, you may see crumbs on the counter from time to time, it is a constant battle to get my son to empty the trash, and (gasp) even as I write this, there are TWO unwashed glasses in the sink. I recall a comment long ago that the reason a person got sick was "obvious"--a Rolling Stone magazine was spotted in the house...and some nonsense about checking the cleanliness of the top of the refrigerator ??? I do not wish to cause any pain or embarrassment by asking, but what gives ? Have I been doing it all wrong all these years ????? SHEESH !

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was something hilarious said quite a while ago about the top of the fridge being clean. i can't remember if it was compared to someone's sexual life or spiritual life.

where's goey ? he might remember.

when i was in, no one came to inspect. but running twigs and classes, you had to keep it looking decent.

i used to be a clean freak. now i'm a piggly wiggly. i don't know what happened. maybe it's the 9 year old boy i have and all his animals.

tommy and all you helpful souls, there is a bird sitting on my shoulder as i type. i never would have believed it !!!!

LCM taught that cleanliness was godliness. They didn't just inspect how clean, but also the type of stuff you decorated with. I knew a lady who loved to collect little knicky knacky stuff, took delight in it. Leadership said they had to go--dust catchers, ya know.

I think she enjoyed dusting them. but that didn't matter.

...which brings to mind when I went WONC (again, in the 70's) and we "decorated" our sparse apartment with hand-done posters of Bible verses. I was told to remove one of them because the curls on the border resembled something "devilish" when viewed from a certain angle in a certain light. I was crushed, but immediately took it down. I was secretly tormented that unknowingly I was channeling you-know-whats through my magic marker "Love One Another" poster. Sad, ain't it ?

Did someone call me ?

quote:
...and some nonsense about checking the cleanliness of the top of the refrigerator ???

Ah yes, a dusty refrigerator top is a sure indicator of poor vaginal hygiene of the woman of the house. Any woman who has a dirty refrigerator in her home no doubt has a dirty odiferous @#%%& also.

I thought everyone knew that.

It's the Word, people. Nothing but the Word!

Edited by Guest

OK---now, help me out pah-leeeeze ! Just how in the name of gawd can the connection be made between a fridge top and my bottom ??? (By the way, there's a small layer of dust on my refrigerator top--I just checked--ha !) Thanks for the info, but I don't understand. And Bramble, I would doodle all the live-long day now and tape every flippin' one of em up on the walls !!!!

Edited by Guest

Wayback,

There is no connection at all. Unto the pure all things are

pure.

lcm had an obsession with that body part like vpw was a bigtime

fan of Thelma & Louise, you know, the twins.

Check the GSC main page (click the top banner) and look over

the documents and stuff. lcm was a Freudian poster-child.

His weakness overcame his strength.

Ya know, WordWolf, having read some of these documents, I concluded a while back that lcm had serious unresolved issues with us females. There was an undercurrent of us being "less than" long ago and it just got worse, evidently. Translated itself into the ridiculous rules of housekeeping (among other things) I suppose. As Gladtobeout said, it was just another way to prove you fell short, didn't measure up. That struck a chord with me. By the way, just curious, what IS the correct way to hang toilet paper and fold a t-shirt ? And who the heck appointed themselves the experts to decide these things ?

We know someone who was kicked out of TWI in the late 90's because his house was a mess.

Now, I'll admit it was pretty bad, and I'm no Felix Unger and I wouldn't have liked to have lived there under those conditions.

But the BC basically said he had all kinds of debbil spurts because his house was a mess. So the guy cleaned it up.

He did a pretty good job, too, except for the one extra bedroom where he put all the junk that had been cluttering up the house to begin with. I mean, it was piled high!

So the BC and his wife make "suprise" visits (ahem - inspections) to this guy's house whenever they feel like it just to make sure he's keeping those spirits out of his home and keeping things "decent and in order".

On one occasion, they opened the door to the extra bedroom and freaked out on him. Said now they understood why he was still "devil spirit influenced" - because he didn't OBEY their orders.

This is a guy who WANTED to stay in TWI - who'd been faithful since 1970 (or maybe before)! He did everything - went to every class, helped at every meeting, gave his 10, then 11 then 15% to them. AND THEY KICKED HIM OUT BECAUSE HIS HOUSE WAS MESSY!

Where oh where is the humanity or the logic in that?

"Anal retentive" is an understatement.

Welcome Way Back - I got in way back then, too.

Edited by Guest

At Twi when I worked in Hskg my intrim year,I was assigned to doing the floors in the WOW auditorium.I remember thinking obsessivly about "behind ever dust bunny there was a devil spirit". That is what I was taught. Talking about being a slave to an enviorment you had no contlol over. DUST BUNNIES HAPPEN. I now attend a Dust Bunny support group and am on step 1. We admitted we were powerless over Dust Bunnies-that our lives had become unmanagable.

My life was so unmanagable because I was spendind to much time vacuming those devil spirit ladden dust bunnies out of ever cornor. Anyway I'm in recovery and I do not have the drive nor desire to go after those bunnies......Thank you. I pass.

wowee a dust bunny support group

and to think i did it all on my own !!!!!

thanks goey now i remember !!!!! ohmylord

didn't you tell us about a date you had and you went inside and slyly checked the top of the fridge before anything went too far....

lmao

Edited by Guest

There is no right way to fold tee shirts! fold'em how you like 'em so they fit in the drawer! They wanted me to roll them...like "jet packing". And there is no right way to hang tp either - suit yourself!

It's one thing to pass helpful hints or tips along...I've picked up quite a few from the Corps women that I liked and use to this day...but it's quite another to force your method on somebody else just because you can.

Edited by Guest

Yes, someone showed the Corps how to "jet pack" clothing, thinking that these future leaders would be on the road a lot, and could use some helpful information on how to pack quickly so that your stuff wouldn't need ironing. T-shirts were to be rolled up -- voil?no wrinkles. Somehow, it went from there to "there is only one right way to fold t-shirts." Incredible.

Likewise, the hanging of the toilet paper. My guess (I don't know) is that someone who was a little, er, anal, decided that he liked the way it was done in fancy hotels. Corps housekeeping crews were taught to have the end of the roll hang over the top, then to fold the end into a triangle. 'Course, the person who did the folding had just finished back-flushing the toilet....yuk!

Somehow, the Corps in-rez standard became the godly standard, and anything less was considered ungodly.

Regards,

Shaz

Fascinating - and troubling as well. Thanks for the info...I agree that helpful, commonsense tips can come in handy---but as suggestions, not have-tos (chapter and verse, please). How sad, Hope R, that poor fellow that tried so hard...but I pray he realizes now that "All things work to the good..." How many loving churches /groups/charities would have jumped at the chance to welcome the guy. I'd like to think he's found his place and some peace of mind like many of us. (Still working on that, guess I always will be a "work in progress". But GUESS WHAT ??? I DO hang my tp properly. But anyone that comes to visit can forget about the folding part---and hope they're on good terms with dust bunnies. We coexist quite peacefully here!)

Why would a Biblical research, teaching and fellowship ministy even be concerned with such trivial and insignificant tasks as how to fold a T-shirt or what direction to rake the carpet?

TWI is not about Biblical research, teaching or fellowship. It is about power and control over it's supporters.

On way to contol people is to get them so wrapped up in meaningless and trivial tasks (out of either fear or blind loyalty) that they no have no time to think for themselves. So the ministry "thinks" for them.

Why in the world would a grown adult with half a brain think that the angle of the end piece on a roll or toilet paper has any spiritual significance whatsoever? -- Why in the world would a they allow someone to dictate to them how to fold a T-shirt in thier own home? -- Indoctrination, blind loyalty, or fear.

Think about it Innnies. Are you really serving the true God by supporting TWI and it's errant practices? -- Is it really God's will for you to allow them to control your lives?

Goey said:

quote:
TWI is not about Biblical research, teaching or fellowship. It is about power and control over it's supporters.
And don't forget string for the chairs so they'll all be perfectly straight. The string must have knots tied in it so that the rows will be uniform. If you don't have string with knots in it stand sideways next to the chair in front, reach out with your arm and fingers extended touching the back of the chair in the next row...

If you need to put more people in there (not much of a problem today) use a shorter person so the rows will be closer together.

That way the good folks won't be distracted by the uneveness of the chair rows and God may be glorified and the folks edified.