GreaseSpot Cafe

Doing Good

insurgent

There's an article in the latest rag about "doing good". I typed up a synopsis of it, but used some trigger words and it's in the "awaiting approval" bucket. Not complaining at all about the wait, just impatient. anim-smile.gif) I actually submitted it twice because I didn't actually read the message the first time.

But, in light of recent discussions here I thought it was interesting because the article was written by J*s*ph*n* W*ll*c* - wc minister and graduate of the class of 1984 serves with her husband as the Rocky Mountain RCs.

Interestingly the article has absolutely nothing to say about "doing good". The only references are about speaking the word, praying for others and giving of everything beyond our genuine need - all WITHIN THE TWI HOUSEHOLD - THE ONLY HOUSEHOLD OF GOD.

They just don't get it. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> When the article is approved and posted you will see that nothing has changed in twi and the twi(ts) still think, speak and teach the exact same things they've always taught - elitism and that people only need to hear the rightly divided word - not get money, physical, material help in any way.

They actually said that TWI was the only household of God?

I'd be interested to see what they're teaching, cause I know of a person close to me who needs physical help, like being taken to twig because they have a physical handicap. So far, they've done squat for this person. This is an old-time, Way Corps grad, a person faithful to TWI for years and years and years. So much for the "household" taking care of each other.

Edited by Guest

Oldies, I don't think they actually put in print that they are the only household of God, but if you listen to them talk and the teachings, that's what they insinuate.

When they read the verses that talk about "to the faithful" and "the household" and "the Body of Christ" they only talk about it in terms of within the walls of TWI. I do remember LCM talking about TWI being the "Zion" of our day and time.

Oldiesman,

TWI definitely teaches and believes that they are the ONE TRUE HOUSEHOLD OF GOD, the REMNANT,

the salted.

During the late 90s the phrase was "This AIN'T YOUR FATHER'S WAY MINISTRY."

No matter how you (or any of us) felt about twi when we were young and first getting involved....or even up through the late 80s and early 90s. After that EVERYTHING CHANGED. It in no way, doctrine, practice, heart....resembles anything you personally experienced or remember.

You consistently stand up for your "memory" of what twi was to you during those times. No matter how accurate you memory is, the twi of today is NOTHING LIKE anything you think you remember.

If someone you know needs help, or wants to go to fellowship of some sort.....you need to consider making the arrangements yourself. The local twi'ers simply aren't interested in genuine godly good works...the kind referred to in Galatians. The "little people" might be good folks with great hearts, but they are not being taught the type of biblical teachings you yourself remember being taught.

Radar icon_frown.gif:(-->

If you read part 2 of my TWI 3 & 4 thread - it ends with LCM welcoming everyone to TWI II. HE called it that.

Household morphed into meaning only the TWI faithful by LCM's teachings on the remnant, zion, and living sanctified (set apart) as well as his desire for this remnant to "cross the bridge to the promised land of the prevailing word".

They were the TRUE HOUSEHOLD OF GOD......

Disciples faithful to the teaching and the TEACHER ............... but darn-it!!!!!

They booted the TEACHER

So now they are the counterfeit of the counterfeit or something like that........ icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

or maybe now they are their own splinter,,,,, that's the ticket!!!!!! anim-smile.gif

quote:
Oldies, I don't think they actually put in print that they are the only household of God, but if you listen to them talk and the teachings, that's what they insinuate.

I just want to get my facts and opinions right. If they're saying that they're the "only household of God", that might suggest that they're saying other churches or Christians, aren't in the body of Christ.

I don't think that's true, I think they readily acknowledge others in "the family"; perhaps I'm confusing "household" with "family". My bad.

Oldies, there's always a "yes, but...." to the kind of question that you're asking.

Here's a brief synopsis on the definitions according to the twi(ts)

There's the family of God which includes everyone who is born again - all these people are in the body of Christ and all will go to heaven whether they deserve it or not.

There's the Household of Godthese are the people who are faithful and who rightly divide the Word. These are the people go go above the tithe and always obey leadership. Everyone who is in the family does not reside in the house with the Father. Only the truly faithful have that priviledge. There is also a portion of the body of Christ which actually practices the rightly divided Word. This portion of the body is called the Functioning Body of Christ. And only those who are in the Household of God are qualified to be of the Functioning Body of Christ. The only ones who qualify for Household/Functioning status are those in twi.

So, see, you may be born again and I can't deny that you're going to heaven, but by golly I can talk all day about how you're not of the functioning body of Christ and are no better to God than some empty floating by because being born again is the only thing you have going for you. Now.....if you wanted to start coming to fellowship on a regular basis, take all our classes and give your money to the outreach of the Word so that we can do good while we live on a need only basis.....then we could talk about possibly allowing you the part of, say, the hangnail in the functioning body of Christ.

Family and Body = everyone

Household and Functioning Body = twi(ts) only.

In fact, they go so far as to say when Paul addresses his books "to the faithful in Christ" that he is talking to them, twi(ts), they are the only ones they know who are faithful to the rightly divided word. Others may be sincere, but they are sincerely wrong and sincerity is no guarantee for truth.

What say ye? Interested in the open hangnail position?

edited because I can't get my bold and italic tags right.

Exxie,

That quote is a play off of a car commercial from a number of years ago. I think (but I am not sure) that it was Chevrolet.

"This AIN'T your father's chevrolet"

LCM meant that the NEW IMPROVED TWI was MEANER, LEANER AND FASTER....than the OLD twi.

I said it was a twi saying....not that it was a GOOD saying. LCM could come up with some pretty lame stuff icon_mad.gif

Radar

quote:
"This AIN'T YOUR FATHER'S WAY MINISTRY."

I got out in '98, but I remember words like this too.

I believe it was the sns tape where lcm announced that the Word was over the world, and we were going to the "PLofPW" somebody, and I believe it was he, said that he didn't believe that all the old timers were going to "go for it" - meaning, the promised land of the prevailing Word.

I remember that very well, it stunned me. I was wondering how old "oldtimers" had to be if they weren't going to "go for it" - and if my 20 years qualified me for that group.

"This is not your father's Oldsmobile,

This is the new generation of Olds."

My favourite commercial of that series was the one with Ringo Starr and his

daughter. His daughter saves him from screaming women who are old-time Beatles

fans by zooming up and letting him in-she's driving an Olds.

His line after getting in...."This is not her father's Oldsmobile."

I forget her line.

My favourite spoof of this....

We see Miss Daisy being driven, and she's giving her driver a hard time as always.

He pulls the car over, opens her passenger door, and offers her his arm to get out.

Miss Daisy: *getting out* "I didn't tell you to stop here."

Driver: "I know, Miss Daisy, I know..." *gets back behind the wheel*

"But it's 1992 now!" *drives off leaving her in the dust, literally*

The song: "This is not Miss Daisy's Oldsmobile...."

===================================================================

Figures lcm was ungrammatical when sub-referencing a commercial.

Insurgent,

thanks for clarifying their "we're not REALLY the only real Christians, but

nobody else is a real Christian anyway" position. THAT never changed, though the

buzzwords did.

I've been reading some old TWI-1 letters and found a letter written to me on Way Stationery from Bo Reahard, who I believe at that time (1978) was the Trunk Coordinator. I asked what was the meaning of Galatians 6:10 and the word "all". Here is an excerpt of his response:

quote:
Dear "oldiesman":

God bless and thanks for you recent letter.

The opportunity with Galatians 6:10 is generally not found in the Word "all" or its understanding. The opportunity, rather, is with the understanding of the word "good".

The verse reads:

"As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith."

... To do good is to do God's will. God's will is the only thing that is good. There is nothing good about the Devil or any of his purposes. It is the confusion regarding good and evil that causes opportunity with this verse. There is absolutely no opportunity with doing good (God's will) to all men everywhere. ...

And so what I've gleaned from Bos' response is, as long as we do good (God's will), it really doesn't matter "to whom".

I think his response is reasonable and is another reason why TWI-1 was different from TWI 3,4. I don't think we'd get a response like that from TWI today.