GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way International Ministries sues TWI today

pjroberge

This is the religious group that filed 4 other lawsuits against TWI to oppose TWI's new trademarks.

TWI then sent a demand letter for this group to cease using their ministry name among other demands because they were infringing on TWI's trademarks.

This was the wrong group to pick a fight with. They are the people that I had talked to a few months ago and I recently warned about TWI's new trademark applications.

They have 5 lawyers on their board, one being a Harvard Law School grad and retired law professor. TWI will be spending a lot more ABS on this. Perhaps TWI should stop throwing their weight around like a school yard bully.

http://www.excultworld.com/TWIM_Lawsuit/Complaint.htm

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - they did their research, didn't they? Over 73 MILLION hits for "The Way" alone!

Personally, I wouldn't want my organization to have a similar name to a group that has been considered a cult by so many people. Yet, "The Way" really is a good name for a Christian group, considering that Jesus said he is "the way...". Hmmm, wonder if TWI is going to sue him for trademark infringement?

Actually, that part strains credibility.

quote:
(d) an internet search using the term or phrase “The Way,” resulted in seventy-three million, six-hundred thousand (73,600,000) search hits that use the term or phrase, “The Way,” in their name, many of which are ministries.

You cannot tell from an internet search how many organizations use the words "The Way" in their names, as opposed to somewhere in the copy on the site. For example, a web site about a buzz saw might talk about improving the way you cut wood. Or something.

I kind of feel like that cab driver right before the climactic battle in Superman II.

"Man, this is gonna be good!"

quote:
Plaintiff, ‘The Way International Ministries, Inc.’ (hereinafter-TWIM) is an Illinois NonProfit Corporation, duly organized in the year 2002 under the Illinois NonProfit Corporations Act. (TWIM) has its principal place of business located at 502 W. Public Square, Benton, Franklin County, Illinois located within the southern District of state of Illinois. (TWIM) is designated by the Internal Revenue Service, as a non-profit charitable corporation.

5. (TWIM) is principally engaged in mission outreach ministry to foreign countries including India, South America (Guyana, Suriname), and Africa. To date, (TWIM) has engaged in ten (10) foreign mission trips, distributed in excess of 10,000 Holy Bibles in the native language, provided construction funding for (7) overseas churches, and generally, provides support, food, clothing, medicine and encouragement for the impoverished including, orphanages, leprosy colonies, elderly, and the sick and physically handicapped.

My God, do you know what this means?

It means these guys (The Other Way Internationalicon_smile.gif:)-->) have done more of God's Word in two years than that Ohio wannabe cult has done in 60.

That's Power For Abundant Giving, baby!

White Dove: This bit of the evidence you supplied was very thankfully received and passed on by me to these nice people:

quote:
Plaintiff believes that there will be no dispute that the founder of Defendant’s religious movement, The Way, was a gentleman named Victor Paul Wierwille. Weirwille died in 1985. While living and shortly before the Defendant sought registration of “The Way,” Wierwille wrote the following:

I have noted in my teaching travels across the country that there are a number of groups who refer to themselves as “The Way.” I just recently heard of a radio broadcast called “The Way.” I have a small publication in my office which is being circulated rather widely in northern Ohio, published by a group called “The Way.” It is such a wonderful name and everyone who is a Christian is entitled to call himself “The Way.”

Victory Paul Weirwille, OUR TIMES, European Christian Press, 1995, (Complied and edited posthumously by Christopher C. Geer), page 195, (emphasis added).

In this same writing, founder Weirwille quotes an article he read: “It may be of interest to you to know that the name Christian, by which all followers of Jesus Christ are known today, is used only three times in the Bible, Acts 11:26; 26:21; I Peter 4:16. Long before the believers were called Christians they were called “Followers of The Way,” which is the oldest name for those filled with the power from the Holy Spirit.” Id.

I told you, you would probably do just fine to quote the Geer book.

Doesn't that book have an intro explaining that some of these were articles which appeared in The Way Magazine?

quote:
(d) an internet search using the term or phrase “The Way,” resulted in seventy-three million, six-hundred thousand (73,600,000) search hits that use the term or phrase, “The Way,” in their name, many of which are ministries.

I agree with Raf on this. The vast majority of the 16 million hits are not revelant to any lawsuit and actually do not indicate that "The Way" is in a group's name at all. That search will find stuff like "this is the way to brush your teeth."

But that's not a problem, you don't need 16 million hits to make the point - a few thousand ought to be plenty.

So I searched with Google, searhing only titles - like this:

-- Results: 398,000 hits

Then I further refined the search and added Christian OR Jesus OR Christ OR Church OR Ministry - like this:

Results: 9,980 hits.

Much more revelant hits. And more than enough to make the point without unnecessary embelishment.

The following evidence was also presented by this group's attorneys to the court, which I supplied.

quote:
Exhibit “H”

(a) in the state of Ohio alone, as of May 24, 2004, sixty-five (65) Churches employ the term, “Way,” in the name of their church organization,

(b) in the United States, three hundred and thirty-eight (338) Churches, employ the term, “The Way,” in the name of their church organization.

(f) early writings of The Way International Founder, Victor Paul Wierwille show that he understood that the phrase or term, “The Way” was a description commonly for Christians, and followers of the resurrected Jesus Christ.

(g) an internet website search shows that there are ninety-seven (97) websites ministry websites that employ the term, “The Way,” in the name of their organization’s ministry.

(h) an internet search shows there are one-hundred and four (104) religious category books, which employ the phrase or mark “The Way” or “Way” in their book title.

Pat I thought that might be of help. And I am still working on the voice version. Glad you passed it on.

Raf yes it does and it also lists the Way International as the original Copyright holders.

Pat has all of that info also.

But these are the same people that asked me to supply a copy of a receipt for PFAL registration or a copy of the filled out green card. They know full well that they never gave anyone receipts. They will spin anything that comes their way.

Side note to WGB you pfoot*d off the wrong person.

I wish I could have a refund of my donations to The Way from the last 6 to 10 years I was in and have it given to The Way International Ministries.

I feel as if I was defrauded and deceived into donating money to the one group while the other group seems to really be doing some genuine good works.

One group seems to me to have hurt and destroyed the faith of its followers through legalism, and immorality while the other group seems to be expressing genuine Christian love and helping people, not kicking them out.

I do not mind contributing to The Way International Ministries or helping them prevail in their lawsuit.

I think TWI should leave these innocent Christian people alone. Let them keep picking on their own followers like they usually seem to do.

John Richeson

Tampa, FL

Former member of TWI for 26 years.

I hate to seem like the devil’s advocate but here I go again.

I don’t see TWI as having picked this fight. I’d say that TWIM did, when it opposed TWI’s trademark applications. TWI may not even have known of TWIM until then.

If I had to bet on this right now, I’d bet that TWI prevails. I won’t go into the reasons at this time, if at all, but I will watch this with interest.

quote:
I don’t see TWI as having picked this fight.
Are you serious. TWI demands that the group not only cease using their so called trademark, but essentially tells the group to shut down. Change your name, give us your financial records etc. TWI did not have to make any demands beyond cease the "infringement". Oh, TWI picked the fight alright....

TWI instead threw their weight around like a school yard bully, but surprise! The kid they picked on is much stronger and has several brothers who will teach TWI a lesson in the courts.

The Way International Ministries has 5 attorneys on their board. Ron the head guy runs a very well known and respected law firm. One of the lawyers is a Harvard grad and is a retired law professor.

So, I will look forward with amusement to the next round of "legal analysis" about the case 5 attorneys put together, and how you think they are wrong.....

Igotout brought a question to my mind concerning money "donated" to twi...

I wonder how far back twi keeps the old "blue" and "white" forms?

These forms had detailed information on who gave how much.