GreaseSpot Cafe

Another VPW snowjob?

Bogey76

quote:
I don't recall Wierwille making such a big deal of his heritage. Mention it, yes, but I don't remember him making a big deal of it,

Raf -- he did make a big deal of it, tho not overly so. Hmmm -- is that an oxymoron?? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Let me re-phrase that -- He inserted "heritage" when it made "sense". There were times he inserted the "heritage" thing that made me think he was trying to "validate", "enhance", etc., his teaching, showing there was an historical side to what he had learned from the scripture, and was "passing" on to us.

I could have this totally wrong, but that was/ is my perception of him mentioning his background/ heritage.

It always seemed to come out only, when he told folks the "correct" way to "act", "work", "study", etc.

Kind of like your folks telling you -- "I had to walk to school uphill, in the snow, both there and back!" icon_eek.gif

He added it as he needed it.

quote:
Originally posted by gammacoffey:

So I'm guessinng then that we should all prounounce "Wierwille" with a transylvanian accent?

That sounds about par

Kat

Actually "W" is German is pronounced as "V", so Wierwille would have originally been pronounced Vierville. The spelling change probably occurred when the family moved from France to Germany.

quote:
Originally posted by Raf:

I know I wasn't in for a very long time, but I did listen to a whole bunch of tapes and I don't recall Wierwille making such a big deal of his heritage. Mention it, yes, but I don't remember him making a big deal of it, like it made him more spiritual or anything.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

RAF,

He made a bigger deal about it when he was around than he did on teaching tapes.

They sold a print of his family tree for years in the bookstore for Goodness sake! How much more can the weasel make of it?! Any of you have YOUR family tree sold for profit at your church's bookstore? The guy wanted me to pay for the privilege of having HIS family tree on my wall?! Why would any...

Stopping now as the arrogance of such behavior has me too annoyed.

I think I remember having to sit through a tape of at least an hour or so of him talking about his family, his heritage and the coat of arms he designed/altered to be "more accurate". Maybe it's CRS creeping up on me, but I swear I know more about the man's "heritage" than I do of my own.

quote:
Originally posted by JustThinking:

Raf,

For what it's worth, the Way's bookstore used to sell a copy of his family tree. How's that for a bit self-involved?

JT

Ohhhhh k. That answers my question. icon_smile.gif:)-->

"Wierwille" is definitely French. It means something like "city of dams" or "city of weirs"

Looking at some old Huguenot records I found the name "de Vierville" listed. This Huguenot family fled the same area of France where Vierville is located in about 1685 - after the Edict of Fontainbleu which restarted persecution againstthe Huguenots.

While this partucilar family fled to Ireland, it is plausible that other "de VierVilles" fled elsewhere. The Huguenots that fled to Prussia (Germany) fled after the 1685 Edict of Fontainblue which is the same time that the "de Viervilles fled to Ireland.

Also, the area where Vierville France is located became predominatly Protestant(Hugeunots) during the 16th and 17th centuries.

So IMO, it is quite plausible that Wierwille does have roots that go back to the Huguenots and to Vierville France. So what?

Why would VPW take particular pride in that when his teachings rejected the Calvinism that his Hugeunot ancestors were perscuted for?

When I first became involved in TWI, there were many "spiritually mature grads" who were all sorts of impressed by the "gifts" that Dr. would give out at such special occassions. Many of them lamented that no such regard was shown to the believers during LCM's reign. I remember being impressed by that plate they gave out (another anniversary celebration?) that had a picture of Dr. and Mrs. Wierwille on it too. There was also a leather bound, gold-edged book of famous Wierwille quotations that was given at another occassion. People brought these "gifts" home like they were the most precious things they'd ever received---shows the extent to which the man was worshipped.

But during LCM's reign to the present, they don't "give" ANYTHING to their followers, except a photo of the BOD enclosed in the annual "Household Holidays" card. Oh, the joy and rapture of it... icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->