GreaseSpot Cafe

How must money did you give the Way for classes and etc?

year2027

Hey Roy- When I took the First Pfal Class I think it was 200. Over the years between classes advanced class specials, Abs and donating to the Auditorium, SNS tapes, The Way MAg and books it was a lot- I was a good source of revenue. icon_smile.gif:)-->

If I add offshoot time, I think I gave somewhere around the $5,000 mark. That's a rough estimate, and does not include books.

Without offshoot time, it's more like $200-$300, again, not including books.

Geeze, weren't you guys REAL wafers? I'm almost ashamed to call you ex-wayfers. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Lets see. My best year as an innie was the year paid off my school loans. (because I was working two full time jobs) That year I made a whopping 30 thousand. This was just after the first teaching where LCM gave everyone a guilt trip and said up your ABS percentage. Well, as a Junior corps I never thought of giving less than 15%. I did kick it up a notch, but for now lets just say I ABSed 15% of 30K. That would be $4500, just in ABS that year! That was half of what I paid on my loans that year. Then there were classes and the Adv. Cl. Special.....yes I was an idiot.

I voted 2-5K. Clearly I should change that. Over the years it must have been over 10K.

Lesson learned. If I would have stayed in school, I could have gotten my degree 7 years earlier, a job paying more than 30 and paid my loans off just as quick, plus I would then still have a decent paying job. Oh well.

On the other hand, what would I have done without all that table waiting and plant watering experience? icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

After I left TWI, I mathematically estimated the amount I had ABS'd over the 15 years I was in and it came to around $7,000.00.

I don't think I included Corps sponsorship, books, refreshments, transportation, events, love offerings, etc.

I dont know how much money I have spent on TWI. I think most of it was well spent (compared to drinking it).

Back when I first got into TWI, they would pay us four months pay inadvance exactly one week before we went under. I would get $6,000 in one day, and not know what to do with it. After a few patrols, I saw that most of my fellow sailors were flat broke when we surfaced months later, and we had not been anywhere to spend it, so they had spent it all on drinking in that last week before we went under. I saw guys spend their pay on WOW girls, paying their rent in advance, filling their cupboards, buying dresses, fixing cars, etc.

I know that I would have done much better to have invested that money in something, but I was in a culture where we drank most of that moeny before we went under. So spending it on believers did seem better.

I have seen many get their $45k re-enlistment signing bonus and spend it all on a car, then get drunk and wreck the car.

Spending the money on a Bible ministry is much better.

Once I got into investing and tax-planning, I started keeping track of all money spent on TWI (and on beleivers), and have used it mostly as tax-write-offs ever since.

Our last ten years in, we probaly gave 30k in ABS, more when you count classes, advances etc,etc.

Many months we just scraped by, on one income with little kids, paying one bill or another late. Our savings usually were earmarked for some way event. Oh! And renting was more expensive than the mortgage we gave up to be good Wayfers.

We would not have tossed that extra money away on drinking--we could have had decent cars, for one thing. Medical bills wouldn't have been so long and drawn out. We could have started a college fund for our kids.

As far as I can see, we got nothing in return for giving that money to TWI. No services from TWI, that's for sure.

Due to the deaths of both sets of parents, we did inherit a great deal of money, after we left TWI. That has repaired the holes in our finances left by our years in TWI. College money for the kids is still a concern, though.

I don't know for sure but I doubt I spent more than $2000 total.

When I was most involved I was in college and was lucky if I had an extra buck each week to throw in the horn. After college, I slacked off big time and they hardly got any more of my money.

Adding up all the classes, books and going to the ROA was probably less than a grand. I was your basic "do just enough to get by" wayfer.

Now these last few posts have been great examples of committed ex-wayfers.

Evan, Paw, Brable and family, you guys are the best!

Now Raf, as I always say, find a disciplined ex-wafer and emulate them. Follow them around, be their shadow. That's how you learn to walk according to God's will.

Go Tiger!

Counting all I spent at the bookstore, classes, specials and books etc I'm sure it was $100,000 or more given the fact that I was in over 20 years.

Not bad for an underpaid teacher! And I'd like a check too!