GreaseSpot Cafe

Bull Riding School

skyrider

As finances rolled in and numbers swelled, the way corps program became a testing ground for "believing God".....those who failed the tests did not graduate. Some of the tests were:

1) L.E.A.D.

2) Bull Riding School

3) Lightbearers (and get a pfal class together)

4) Hitch hiking to destination (and back)

Talk about risks!! Twi had us sign a waiver before anyone was allowed to ride a bull. WHY??? Because they knew there were risks involved!! And, corps DID get hurt......while trying to ride a ton of raging, snorting, twisting, kicking hell. This was another bonehead test to weed out unwanted corps.

Vp's corps program was an extension of his pfal class........where the law of believing was the incarnation of his corps. The tests and risk-taking adventures can be traced back through martindale and wierwille.....whose narcistic behaviors were always trying to "up the stakes" of each incoming corps.

The Bull Riding School was high risk.....and vpw watched it with great delight.

skyrider

So he we can add malevolent to a description of him....

That sounds like companies that have ridiculous standards that no one really attains but they only enforce the standard when they want to get rid of someone. e.g. A bank that has a $5 variance rule on the till for each teller. Most tellers are off more than $5 at least 5% of the time, but only those tellers whom management does not like get fired for being more than $5 off.

Skyrider,

The way wasn't the only company to test people like that,and it wasn't just for the men...I heard of an outfit that wanted to test company loyalty for the new female CEO they planned to appoint....Of the three finalists,they instructed each to take a pistol,go in the next room and kill their husband if they wanted the job...The first finalist,who was about 30,handed the gun back to them and said "no way,you can keep your job"...The second one,about 40,went in the room,returned about a minute later,and said "I'm sorry,I just can't do it"...The third finalist,a fifty year old,went in and returned about ten minutes later saying "sorry it took so long..Some idiot put blanks in the gun and I had to strangle the s.o.b. to death"....

simon.....LOL

Yeah, I heard about that one.

Good thing twi didn't test people like that.....there would be more DEAD corps than there are. icon_eek.gif

If they were just testing our LOY-alty....that's one thing.......... But, if they were testing our BE-LEAVING.........I wish that I'd had the good sense to LEAVE. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Admiral Rickover used to test officers when they applied to be part of the Nuclear Power Program. There are lots of funny, as well as horrifying tales. This was one of my favorites.

Admiral Rickover asked the applicant if he was engaged.

The applicant said "Yes."

Rickover handed him the telephone and told him to call his fiancee and break off the engagement.

The applicant did so. When he turned the phone back over to Rickover, the Admiral said, Get out of here, you !@#$%. I don't want a ^&*() like you in MY navy!"

Back to TWI. Lightbearers was what broke me. For the first and last time, I willingly, knowingly manipulated a person to sign the green card. The coordinator had placed soooo much emphasis on how we HAD to sign people for the class. Then, when we got back to Gunnison, he told the people who hadn't signed anybody up that it wasn't really a big deal. I dropped out at the end of that block.

Love,

Steve

Steve...I know exactly what you mean! When we went out lightbearers, they told us that if we didn't put a class together we would be dropped from the corps...that is, until we all got back and only 1 or 2 groups had got their class together...suddenly they changed their minds...they had NO integrity at all....NONE.

There were numerous people who were so stressed out over this, they were crying and shaking...it was all a test...they never intended to boot us out...they lied to us.

quote:
Yes, LCM did ride the bulls - I'm pretty sure more than one time. He hurt and screwed up his back because of it - although he didn't tell many people that.

Yeah.......he could have heating pads, massages, medicine, sauna, chiropratic appointments, comfy lounge chair, the works! and NOT HAVE ANYONE IN HIS FACE TO CHALLENGE HIS BELIEVING.

The lowly corps were berated by corps leadership if they missed one class or meeting.

Charles was the only rider to my memory,who stayed on the bull for the full eight seconds....When he finally fell off,as he was raising his hands in celebration the bull came from behind,picked him up by his rear end and flipped him about 15 feet in the air...Afterward,Charles wondered aloud just where in the hell the rodeo clown was....

I remember thinking people that were thrilled to have the oppportunity were nuts. I grew up helping an uncle at rodeo's in his arena. Not a sport for people who know nothing about the "beasts" involved.

I also remember most of the people that went came back very humbled and some injuired for life.

Don't you think that some of these "experiences" would make a great reality show. (Fear Factor, Amazing Race come to mind).

Sky,

It was called "Rodeo School." It was completely voluntary, unlike LEAD. There was a choice between bull-riding, and "bucking horses."

One of my best friends was instrumental in starting Rodeo school up, and teaching it for a number of years.

Like many things in twi, the "idea" was great...the application sucked. I remember the Rodeo School of 1985 the year VPW died, it was my last year in residence in the 13th corps. My friend Pat, was there teaching and participating and when he came back to Emporia, he was a different man than he had been just 3 weeks before. He was disappointed, disgusted, disillusioned with the ministry and maybe even God. He couldn't explain or verbalize it...but the difference was STARK and COLD.

I am still amazed at how twi could take a great idea and F**K it up....and hurt every one involved at the same time.

ror

I clearly remember part of his main complaint was that twi was allowing completely incompetent people, in no way READY, physically, mentally, spiritually in grave physical danger by allowing them to participate. He felt that people were being placed in NEAR DEATH SITUATIONS without the proper consideration.

I needed to start a new post for this one.

HITCHHIKING

My first year in residence with the 13th corps, I was sent from Emporia to HQ for the last of the in residence year. I traveled with one of my corps brothers. I thought I knew him well, and we were friends. While we were in residence we had been *allowed* to run a PFAL class in Kansas with John Townsend. I was pretty happy about traveling to hq with him (I had a broken ankle at the time, I had broken it half way out of Emporia on an 8 mile run, I WALKED BACK four miles with a broken ankle!) Anyway, I was happy about going to HQ with this guy cause I trusted him and felt safe with him.

He eventually became a twi clergyman.

After I left twi, I found out that he had SHOT HIS WIFE TO DEATH with a shotgun just a couple of years before he entered the way corps. He found her in bed with someone else, and the state he lived in had a "heat of passion" defense that allowed a no time sentence.

Okay....I cannot tell you what that did to me emotionally to find out I had spent endless hours alone with a man that had murdered his wife in cold blood.

ror

quote:
o be clear....

The bull riding was optional.....but with vpw hyping up the event, few men declined.

It was a test.....at corps graduation week.... and to see who was REALLY believing.

Oh come on, what a crock Sky. It was optional, period. It wasn't to see "who was really believing". If that were true, then Charles Henry Rix and very few others were the only true believers in the ministry. Even Cowboy Bob (Donaldson) told me that he rode at least twenty times before he began to make the full eight seconds and that he'be very surprised if any of us did. And, none of us did! Hah!. Rodeo school was cool.

I rode a mechanical bull on my interim year, and I prayed that I would get the chance to ride a real one. And, it was Craig who really did the hyping, not VP. But I remember distinctly when the first "official" High Country Rodeo school was discussed at Gunnison, Craig said that if anybody didn't want to do it that there was not to be any embarrassment about it. He said he had done it and that it was one of the scariest and coolest things he had done and that if any of us wanted the same challenge, it was there for us if we wanted. So, I signed up and did it. And I am proud of it too. It was fun, it was scary, I got hurt (two cracked ribs a huge bloody abrasion on my chest, and I had a concussion for a few hours because my head whacked the ground), and I dug the hell out of it. Old "Strichnyne" was the bull that got me that day, and no one (at the HCRS ever rode him for more than three seconds), and at our graduation he kicked everbodies a$$. Strichnyne went on the be a major contender in professional rodeo. And I rode the next day after I got hurt and made seven seconds! Aggh! Almost made it! But no, Black Sabbath bucked me off in the end.

And then, Donna Martindale found me limping behind the chutes (got my right thigh stepped on) and prayed for me there on the spot. And then she looked at me and says; "I don't know what's with you men , but you all are tough sonsabitches". Hey, I loved that. Laugh if you want, but extreme sports are things that people have done for years. It's not for everybody to be sure, but I am glad it came my way.

I love the sport of rodeo and am proud to have been a part of it. And I'll bet you that most of the guys and gals that participated really enjoy it when they get to say publicly; "yeah, I used to ride bulls....."

Man, it was a lot of fun seeing our friends out there riding those broncs and bulls. One gal, Linda Featherstone won the whole shebang by making seven seconds on a bull during our graduation rodeo! It wasn't an official win, but she bested all of us. Her bull bucked straight out and didn't spin or anything and ended up just running straight out, but man, we were proud of our sistah!

I don't know, surely there were alot of things really wrong with the ministry, but, I guess it depends on how you want to look at it when it comes to rodeo school. To me, it was totally voluntary and the bad that came with it (aches, pains, injuries) were my own damned fault for signing up, and no one elses.

Oh, yeah, there were tons of men who declined. In the overall scope, very few men participated.

I was there to see Charles Henry Rxx get sent airborne by that huge bull, too. Scared the bejeebers outa me.

My good friend was hellbent on riding a bull. She did. She dislocated her shoulder--just in time for her wedding right after graduation.

My mother raised no fools. I chased little calves around to try to get a ribbon from one of their tails. Ha! It was then I knew that smoking and high altitude don't mix.

It's true that it was totally voluntary, and I clearly remember that no one was pushed into it, and it wasn't held up as some big macho thing to do. It was just offered, and lots of people didn't participate.

I guess I remember people going to Gunnison and paying for rodeo school, but ours was a freebie for graduating Corps week or whatever they called it.

Slight derail: About 15 years ago I was in Oregon visiting my ex-husband. He was dealing blackjack in this bar, so I was sitting at the bar nearby when a couple rodeo clowns came in.

We started chatting and, after hearing I was from Ohio, they said, "Did you ever meet any real rodeo clowns before?" I said, "Well, just one--Bob Donalxson." They said "Whoa, really?" I guess he was pretty well known around the rodeo circuit.

That Charles Henry was something! He made his ride of eight seconds, and instead of running for the fence, I guess he raised his arms in victory as the bull came up from behind him and tossed him in the air! I guess he got chewed out for it, but then, he turned around again and rode the next one for eight seconds! Too cool..

And yeah Linda, Bob Donaldson had actually won the coveted "Gold Buckle" at the National Finals Rodeo (NFR! Yeah!), and what was really too bad was that Bob actually gave that buckle to LCM out of his respect for him! Oh man, I remember being terribly embarrased that Craig actually wore the damned thing. I'll complain about that aspect Sky, no problem!

One time, when we were out at Gunnison, we went to a local rodeo in town, and Craig wore the buckle. And while there, some real cowboys noticed the buckle and asked him about it, and Craig said that a friend, Bob Donaldson gave it to him. This apparently confused the cowboys who could not understand why Bob would give it away, and why on earth would anyone wear it if they didn't actually win it?

I wasn't part of the conversation for I wasn't sitting close enough to Craig. I could hear snippets here and there, and the buckle was the topic of the conversation. I heard Donaldson's name come up and etc, and I was really embarrassed about it. LCM didn't seem to be a bit embarrased either. No surprise huh?

Does anyone know whether Craig gave the buckle back to Bob or not? I sure hope so! For no matter what Bob may have been thinking when he did it, I wouldn't doubt it if he sorely misses it. Winning that buckle is like getting The Ring from winning the Super Bowl. Yep, Donaldson was the real thing when it came to Rodeo

Yes, the buckle was returned finally. After leaving RC, it grated on Bob's mind that Craig had it. As I recall, it was quite some time afterward (over a year) that it finally came in the mail, and it was a thrill to see it reunited with its winner. Side note of information: Bob won the the NFR bullfighting buckle BEFORE being involved with TWI, in case anyone was confused. PFAL had NOTHING to do with it.

Bob and Robin and their family are STILL the real deal, in every way. I love them all.

While some were probably injured, I have to say I was healed at a CG rodeo. Long before TWI I had been shot, by a friend, accidentally in the foot. One toe healed in an odd shape that constantly became a sore when I did a lot of walking. It was a problem for 8 years.

While standing next to Robin while she was on her barrel horse getting ready for the Grand Entry of the rodeo, someone opened a nearby gate. The horse, trained to jolt at the opening of the gate, started, and Robin pulled him back, causing him to rear up. When he came down, he landed on my foot. You guessed it, it broke that one toe. I have never had a problem with a sore foot again.

~HAP

Edited by HAPe4me