GreaseSpot Cafe

Putting Down Roots

MTgal

hmm.

The first time I was 'booted' was in 1980. I already had orders in hand shipping me out to another duty-station [Va]; so I was really one foot out the door anyway.

We moved, got back 'in', moved again, moved again, moved again, then in 1990 got 'booted' again. This time as it happened I already had orders in hand shipping out to my next duty-station.

When we got to our next duty-station, we got back into things and after a few more years, got 'booted' again, this last time, I dont think I actually had the orders in hand yet, but we had been negotiating for them and it was pretty close to us shipping over-seas.

So, no each time we were 'booted' we never did stay there.

We immediately went somewhere else to move The Word, start Twigs and run PFAL classes.

:-)

I was "assigned" Tampa, FL when graduating 7th Corps in 1979. I asked to come here. We were allowed to request if we wanted. Permission granted.

I am still here. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I have only moved 3 times, the last being 15 years ago. Dumbass TWI leaders asked me to move a few times. They moved on, but I stayed.

I have a good tan by now. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

But where do I retire to?

When I left, I was in the same city, by choice, that I had been in since 1982. I left in 1988.

Still here in the same area. Had to finally settle down, both before leaving TWI and after.

It's just not normal to move around so much, like TWi caused so many of us to do.

MTgal --- I stuck around. This was actually my area of choice (at the time), and somehow the years have slipped right on by.

I was married when I moved here to Duluth (in '78), and in twi. Once here, both my ex and I decided to go wow, and since we had just moved into the area, we requested to be *sent* here (new town, no friends except *ministry folk* bla-bla-bla) and we were.

I was divorced, and out of the *ministry* in '85/'86, and had put enough roots down by then, I decided to stick around. I never had a lot of friends back in Indiana growing up, except for old-timers that I would pick music with --- and by '86 a lot of them had passed away. By then I had met a whole new group of folks up here in the bluegrass scene.

I think about moving back south every now and then, but that's all I've done about it so far. Guess my roots here are deeper than I thought. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Since I was a good little wayfer I didn't have any friends who weren't in TWI. My family is still in the south and I'd love to move back closer to home (but not home) and where the "real" southerners live. I just can't seem to get motivated to go through all the things you have to when you're moving. Maybe after I've been out a little longer, right now I'm just emotionally exhausted.

My wife and I both had careers here so we stayed put. Its been 16 years now and we plan on staying for another 6 years then move on. We found a nice little church that teaches that Jesus Christ is not God, the dead are dead So at least we found an outlet spiritually where we can teach and fellowship. I've since changed careers and as a result get to travel alot. We were "marked and avoided" the day I told LCM to kiss my A$$ about his loyalty statement.

What a long strange trip its been

Jerry Garcia

Our one and only assignment was in the Tempe-Mesa, Arizona area. We stayed there after POP cuz our oldest was in school and most of the believers had left en masse. We continued to "play twi" with D*ve St*ndage being the head of state and all the other leadership in tact except for a few smart guys like Simon.

Then when Dave systematically got rid of all the other leaders so he could have the big piece of the pie (I just want to be "full time ministry" - - I've never wanted to do anything else) (yeah, like have a real job) icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

we left the state and went back to Calif.

Since my divorce, I've moved due to job offers, but now am staying put til the youngest son finishes high school.

J.

People in TWI were harrassing us. They would put bumper stickers of twi all over and one place we lived they watched our house to make sure that anyone in their twig didn't come over. One time some did come over and they entered our house and demanded for those people to leave.

So we left and moved to minnesota. I left where I was from to get away from them.