GreaseSpot Cafe

How Do You Handle Reproof on Greasespot?

satori001

What the hell is reproof, anyway? I mean, in the real world.

In the absence of respect for one another's bibilical rebuttals, most Greasespot reproof is an appeal to logic, or to emotion.

Logical Reproof: "If x is true, and y is true, than z is true, and you are wrong."

Emotional Reproof: "Excuse me, but you're incorrect on that last point, motherf*cker!!

Stealth Reproof: "If only certain people - wink, wink - of the baser sort wouldn't be so wrong, and be more like me."

What other kinds of extra-biblical reproof are there, and more importantly, how do YOU handle them?

Does it matter where it's coming from? Or from whom? Does it matter how it's "motivated?" Does it matter if their spelling is correct?

Are you embarrassed or ashamed? Are you angry? Are you quick to apologize, maybe even too quick?

What are your thoughts? (There is no guarantee someone will not reprove you for them, but they themselves will then risk reproof reproof.)

--

edited to add this question so it stays in the "About the Way" Forum, which is where I intended to put it:

How does GS reproof compare with, differ from, TWI reproof you have experienced?

Edited by satori001

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, excuse me, are you lost? This topic doesn't belong here, bucko, now does it? A more intelligent person would have known to put it in Open.

It definitely depends on who(m?) -- where's Zixar? -- it's coming from. It either annoys me, amuses me, puzzles me, infuriates me, surprises me (though rarely enlightens me), depending on all those things you mention: tone, source, content, intent, punctuation, repetition. Am I too quick to apologize when someone else takes offense? Well, if I am, nobody's pointed that out to me. Yet. I eagerly await their insight.

Personally, I don't mind the "logical" reproof. The "emotional" reproof usually doesn't inspire me to look inward for ways to improve myself. I feel like I'm being manipulated. The "stealth" reproof (another form of "emotional" if you ask me) has the same effect. I dismiss it, eventually, with or without letting the person know what I think of his/her sage advice. Also, I think that whether or not something "sounds" like reproof to me sometimes reflects my own mood, rather than the other person's intent.

Overall, though, the "reproof" has been good for me. Before GS, I had a knack for remembering every slight and was skilled in holding grudges. Over time here, I've learned it isn't worth it, if only because it's too much to try keep track of it all. There are too many insults and too many handles that are phonetically similar so I can't remember who it is I'm supposed to be indignant with, or why. If they leave enough of an impression, though, I'm tempted to get even.

Truthfully, I think the "reproof" says more about the person delivering it than the recipient. For example, it often seems like the most stubborn people are the ones who complain that others are close-minded. And the most selfish complain that others aren't "loving." And on and on. I think Jesus said something about taking the mote out of our own eye first. It's good advice. I occasionally manage to follow it.

Are you planning to answer any of your questions? How about you? Are you a "stealth," "emotional," or "logical" reprover? Are you embarrassed, ashamed, angry, when you're on the receiving end? How about when you're on the giving end?

What are your thoughts?

quote:
Truthfully, I think the "reproof" says more about the person delivering it than the recipient. For example, it often seems like the most stubborn people are the ones who complain that others are close-minded. And the most selfish complain that others aren't "loving." And on and on.

Well said!! icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)-->

"How about you? Are you a "stealth," "emotional," or "logical" reprover? Are you embarrassed, ashamed, angry, when you're on the receiving end? How about when you're on the giving end?"

All of the above and none of them. Depends on the day, my mood, the other person, the context - there are a ton of variables.

However, in general, when I disagree with someone and express my different opinion I don't see that as reproof, just an exchange of thoughts and opinions. I try to see the other POV and be respectful. But, there are days when I just vent and there are those (very few) who I simply don't have much respect for. I'd say the same is probably true when someone expresses a difference of opinion from me.

In face to face situations, it's pretty much the same. If my boss comes to me and shows me a mistake I made, it is no big deal to me. Why? Because he is very nice about it and, like me, recognizes we are all human and make mistakes. So I correct the mistake without any fuss or embarrassment.

On the other hand, there is a girl at work who I think is a real bitch and tends to get rather rude with people. If she were to get rude with me, I'd most likely return the favor.

Laleo, I LOVE the way you write!

My answer to above question, Satori, is ditto to Laleo's dissertation plus, hum, recognizing that when some people snap at others and then expect them to apologize is expecting the snapee to go against human nature. Fight or flight syndrome comes into play and most fight on that point.

Reproof is a term I don't use anymore. If you tell me I did something to you that was insensitive, I usually apologize right away. If you tear into me, I usually fight.

How do I respond to Gspot reproof? It depends...

Are they right? Or did I communicate my point poorly? Either way, I usually apologize. People deserve to hear the word "sowwy" and the retraction if I just opened mouth and inserted foot.

Are they wrong, or are they insulting? I may go around with them for a couple of posts, but no more, on a given subject. It just isn't worth it to clog a thread with, "I am not!" "You are, too!" I think it makes me look bad, right or wrong, to continue to harangue. And I trust that most readers get it.

Regards,

Shaz

Just as an aside, my opinion, if they insult me I try not to come back in kind because that just adds fuel to the flame. I do, however, state my point again and hopefully, more clearly, to try to clarify what I meant if they misunderstood me.

I think it's better to try to gain a friend than to make my point if they still don't get it. After that, I usually just let it drop.

I decided to look up the word reproof/reprove in my handy dandy Oxford Concise Dictionary.

quote:
Reproof: n.formal1. blame (glance of reproof). 2. rebuke

Reprove: v. formal rebuke (a person, conduct, etc.) [Latin: related to REPROBATE]

Rebuke: v. (-ing) express sharp disapproval to (a person) for a fault; censure. n. rebuking or being rebuked. [Anglo-French]

After reading those definitions, I'm not interested in partaking in any such actions. Just a tad too harsh for me thank you very much.

I try to stear clear of reprobates myself.

I handle reproof well when deserved and handled correctly.

When someone comes up to me and starts with I'm wrong and they are gonna prove it. WATCH OUT. Come up to me and say hey lets talk about this and see what we can do. Well I bend over to try and resolve the problem.

I tell all my employees that there are only two types of people who don't make mistakes. Dead people and people that don't do anything. I have found that if I show them what was done wrong and what the right way was, then their is no argument.

I don't take confrontation too well. I do change my ways and get allong with people very well when agression is kept down.

quote:
Um, excuse me, are you lost? This topic doesn't belong here, bucko, now does it? A more intelligent person would have known to put it in Open.

Now, here's an example of someone making a joke and it was taken seriously:

quote:
In deference to laleo's reproof, I will add a TWI reference to the introductory post.

Sheesh.

How Do I Handle Reproof on Greasespot?

Ohhh god,..................

I............

can't... cope!

It,....

it devastates me. It's like some ol' devil spirit slugged me right betwixed the ol' earballs.

I crawl over to a corner, assume a sitting fetal position, grab my blankee and suck my thumb and start stroking my nose. Sometimes I like to rock back and forth too.

I lose my appetite for days at a time, the idea of food in any form absolutely repulses me. In times like this I rarely eat more than eight or nine times a day.

Self esteem, I have none. I am reduced to the four year old child who, when dad was mad at me, had to go play in the basemment of the outhouse.

I am so filled with self loathing I pull out my cat-o-nine-tails, and start flagellating my back. I try, I flail, I flail, I cry out and try harder and flail some some more, it is so hard to flagellate when your back is against the wall. I am covered in a pile of shredded wallboard dust, insulation, and framing splinters. But the fresh air from outside mixed the plaster dust both delights and chokes the soul.

Yes, I'm starting to feel better. I break out of the gloom, I break out of the spiderwebs. (Where'd these come from? How long have I been in the corner?) I put on the teakettle just so I can built up some self esteem. I boil some eggs so I can break outta the shell. I put on Rodney Dangerfield.

Oh yes, I am definitely coming out of it and now I want revenge. I want e-vile revenge, I want bloody revenge, I want sweet revenge, I want freddy kreuger revenge, I need an aspirin. God, I also need a thesaurus.

I read and re-read the offending poster. I pick apart the weaknesses in his post until my hands get tweezer spasms and I must stop. My mind boils at a thousand miles a minute as I plot out a scalding reply. I want to put the fear of Bob in him. I want to reduce him to a smoking okie, like a texan on a lambchop. I want to make him wish he'd never left the comfort of the household of the way!

MuuuHaahahaaaa.....

Feeling ready now, I turn on my beast and power on the net.

I find the GreaseSpot.

I find the post:

OH YEAH!

Lal-Lay-Yo, you are dead wrong!!!

It wasn't "Jesus said something about taking the mote out of our own eye first." it was:

Quit trying to take the moat out of your neighbors eye when you got Jim Beam in your own eye!

.......SO THERE!

icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by shazdancer:

How do I respond to Gspot reproof? It depends...

Are they right? Or did I communicate my point poorly? Either way, I usually apologize. People deserve to hear the word "sowwy" and the retraction if I just opened mouth and inserted foot.

Are they wrong, or are they insulting? I may go around with them for a couple of posts, but no more, on a given subject. It just isn't worth it to clog a thread with, "I am not!" "You are, too!" I think it makes me look bad, right or wrong, to continue to harangue. And I trust that most readers get it.

Regards,

Shaz

Exactly how I feel Shaz...why fight? Or try to even stick up for yourself after a couple of posts? It makes that person look even worse. Better to shrug it off and let it go...its not like its someone you see personally everyday anyway.

What was the official TWI definition of "reproof," according to abusage?

Wasn't it more to do straightening you out, or was that correction?

Doctrine = "do this"

Reproof = "you didn't do this, you did that"

Correction = "now that you know that's wrong, do this"

How does all this compare with ordinary, run of the mill, human interaction - without all the cult baggage? People reprove one another all the time. They use other standards than the bible. Which standards?

-

edited for punked u-ation

Edited by satori001