GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

"Sixteen Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford?

George

CORRECT!

At least, that is the song, and one of the artists who did the song.

I compared 3 versions of the lyrics when posting the quote.

Those of you who ever saw the beginning of "Joe Versus the Volcano"

heard this song make it into this section.

Go, George!

In a bar in Toledo, across from the depot, on a barstool she took off her ring.

I thought I'd get closer, so I walked on over, I sat down and asked her the name.

When the drinks fin'lly hit her, she said "I'm no quitter, but I fin'lly quit living on dreams.

I'm hungry for laughter, and, here ever after, I'm after whatever the other life brings.

In the mirror I saw him, and I closely watched him, I thought how he looked out of place.

He came to the women who sat there beside me, he had a strange look on his face.

The big hands were calloused, he looked like a mountain, for a minute I thought I was dead.

But he started shakin', his big heart was breakin', he turned to the woman and said:

I'm sure that answer is correct, so here is another:

I found a dream that I could speak to

A dream that I could call my own

I found a thrill to press my cheek to

A thrill that I had never known.

This one has been covered recently by a very big name in Pop.

What I am looking for is the original, which far surpasses any covers ever done. (Though there is a vocalist who works out of Central Ohio who can bring down the house with her take on it. She does a pretty good take on "High Heel Sneakers", also, a song made popular by her Daddy, Tommy Tucker.)

One more clue----The original artist is in The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Wasway----------Yep. Teeny comes as close to "nailing it" as any I've ever heard.

Christina Aguilara also recently covered it. Calling it limp would be a compliment.

But, what I'm really looking for is the original. I'm not sure, but I think it was her first big hit.

Also, I think she may have been the author. Not completely sure on that either, though.

OK----Here's a hint. It was listed on Cowgirls' recent thread,"Romantic Oldies".

Actually,

wasway gave the correct song, and the correct name of an artist that performed it on a broadcast

(or whose performance was later broadcast.)

I'm not sure about Waysider's special provisos for that round, but it looked like WS agreed

the answer was correct, eventually. (Maybe not.)

I'd wait for Waysider to clarify.

If Waysider wasn't being so specific, it would OBVIOUSLY be wasway's turn.

Of course, if it IS wasway's turn, wasway can just cede his/her turn to you, and we move on.

Just trying to stick to the few rules we have....

Yes, indeed. It was The Matriarch of the Blues,herself, Miss Etta James who made this her signature song. The key clues were the reference to The Rock HOF. and the mention that the answer could be found in the "Romantic Oldies" thread.

I think most people regard that version as being the "original" even though it technically is not.

It is from her album by the same title. That album also has "Trust in Me" and "A Sunday Kind of Love". I check the CD out of the library a couple times a year.(Can you say "cheapskate"?) :rolleyes: