GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Damn that was a great game-After the two out walks in the 8th and wild pitch then tied up by Hunter i was sure that the game was over, , that Francona was channeling Grady Little, that the sox were going back to anaheim, losing and it would be a long winter. The top of the ninth SUICIDE Squeeze lived up to its name --how fast that adrenaline rush kicked in---

What a ninth!!! The adrenaline is certainly pumping now!!

If I was on the outside Id be with you Rock, the Rays are a very very good team strong on every single point, and the Red Sox not only finished second to them but are banged up as well-- but Im not on the outside of this one --Im gonna take it a game and a pitch at a time... These are two good teams and it promises to be one very good series.

WELCOME Dont Worry Be Happy!! I agree!!

Go Sox!!

Edited by mstar1

should be good... Rays were up 10W/8L for the regular season...

Rays seem to be unaffected by the post season (so far)...

from the regular season though it looks like it's a home/home series in that the Rays were 8/1 at home and the BoSox were 7/2 at home...

LAD v Phillies is harder to pick, all their games were played after the trade with each team winning their 4 home games...

should be very nice...

But it is the post season, for the right to go to the WS... which team has shot all their bullets?

should be good... Rays were up 10W/8L for the regular season...

Rays seem to be unaffected by the post season (so far)...

from the regular season though it looks like it's a home/home series in that the Rays were 8/1 at home and the BoSox were 7/2 at home...

LAD v Phillies is harder to pick, all their games were played after the trade with each team winning their 4 home games...

should be very nice...

But it is the post season, for the right to go to the WS... which team has shot all their bullets?

I think it was the Angels that had shot all of their bullets... on Sunday. The made yesterday's game pretty good anyway however.

Depending on how many days' rest, all four teams could be at or close to full strength for their respective LCS games.

Good article... love reading folks who write like I feel...

On the baseball anti-christ:

Let's pretend you were Boras last spring. First, grow fangs and imagine you sleep in a coffin. Second, divorce yourself from all parameters of human decency. (Concentrate on those dollars signs. Keep concentrating. Block everything else out.) Third, convince yourself the relationship between a player and his fans, no matter how long it has been cultivated, doesn't matter even remotely. Fourth, keep reminding yourself, as long as you can weasel Manny out of that '09 option with Boston, you're looking at a four-year contract elsewhere for $80-100 million ... as well as a big fat commission for yourself. You feeling it? You feeling like Boras yet? (Touch your new fangs to be sure.)

on Manny:

Will Manny understand the real reasons when it happens? How much does Manny understand in general? He's dumb enough to leave uncashed paychecks sitting around and smart enough to earn those checks in the first place. Dumb enough to get seduced by Boras, smart enough to heed his advice. Dumb enough to burn bridges in Boston, smart enough to get what he wanted in the end. Dumb enough to betray his old team, smart enough to embrace his new one. He's unredeeming in every way until you add up every little moment that made you like him in the first place. Then he's not so bad.

And the writer is (sadly) correct I think... Odds are he will be wearing pinstripes next year... and Alex will benefit greatly... finally be the impact hitter he has always thought he was...

as much as I believe that Manny would inject life into the Yankees ( in the short term, at least), I really would rather he stay with the Dodgers. He fits in perfectly here (so far), and I want to see him when I go to the Stadium.

Maybe the fan boy is growing old. Here I am hoping the Yankees don't get him. I don't know what that means.

And Boras is the anti-Christ.

Maybe the fan boy is growing old. Here I am hoping the Yankees don't get him. I don't know what that means.

...maybe your just a Manny fan.....I'd really rather see good, exciting baseball right in front of me in the present everyday if it were possible than, no matter how wonderful they were, live off the memories of the past. I'll keep all those great memories --but maybe your turning into a Dodger Fan :)

Winning and winning in exciting ways is just ..... fun

Ive said it a billion times to the point Im sure its old with you guys but Manny injects *Something* into a game that makes it incredibly fun to watch..Ive never seen anyone like him nor expect to again. Im sure Hiway knows at least alittle what Im talkin about after a few months of experiencing it.

If he can captivate your baseball heart and soul away from the 10 year old and transplant him into the present (which he is thoroughly capable of doing) its very liberating-and exciting -at least it was to me...

It looks like LA is getting a taste

1013_large.jpg

(Now please no SI cover jinx--I want to see him in a few weeks!

Edited by mstar1

Good article... love reading folks who write like I feel...

On the baseball anti-christ:

on Manny:

And the writer is (sadly) correct I think... Odds are he will be wearing pinstripes next year... and Alex will benefit greatly... finally be the impact hitter he has always thought he was...

crossed-fingers-thumb.jpg

as much as I believe that Manny would inject life into the Yankees ( in the short term, at least), I really would rather he stay with the Dodgers.

NOT ME!

<_<

Well yea of course thats true --- Im not in LA Hiway could speak better than I on this, but aside from the hits and HR's--look what he has done for a city of millions of people---whether it really amounts to anything in the big picture is difficult to guage---but if there is enthusiasm, adrenaline and a 'feel good' attitude about the Dodgers it spills over into other parts of the life of a city as well....at least I think so......

I loves in the article i posted the bit about Manny leaving uncashed paychecks for $900,000+ in his locker. There were plenty of stories when he was here---ie --after the clubhouse boy washed his car, Manny telling him there was some money in the glove compartment for him, and the kid finding $75,000 in cash stuffed in there... :biglaugh:

I dont think $$ is the huge issue to Manny so much as it is to Boras to drive the overall market..

Im guessing that Boras will want him around 25mil/4yrs...Its expensive but what he could do for a team and a city would be well worth looking at....

This isnt ARod chasing records ---- Manny is a totally different thing..I know what he did in Cleveland, I know what he did here, and i see what he is doing in LA--He has rejuvenated three franchises...Whats that worth? hard to tell

Yea uh oh

I know you posted last night--but De Bums are in a hole now, and into the bullpen in the third and could go down 2-0-

I dont know enough about Park but they cant afford to burn the whole bullpen this early in the series imo.

Looks like Torre's got his work cut out for him

8-2 Phils in the third

bummer

I know ---

i love the way playoff games s t r e t c h out time :biglaugh:

It seems like a month since the Red Sox played--Hopefully DiceK keeps his walks under 4 tonight and nothing has to be played off the ceilings and catwalks in Tampa but thats still an hour and a half away may as well be a day--

Manny pops out on a 2-0 high fastball as I type---FWIW he looks more emotionally engaged than Ive ever seen him before...

Edited by mstar1

Well that got exciting in the ninth--I cant tell if Lidges drop off the table slider is really that good or if plate discipline needs to be improved --it seemed like Kemp and Nomar swung at way too many bad pitches when it counted--but still an exciting game...

Dodgers have got some work to do....