GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Dustin.jpg

DP age 4

:)

Yea he is a great kid , he has been so much fun to watch. We're very very lucky to live in such a great baseball time in Boston.

dustin-pedroia.jpg

'll let the little big man express my sentiment-

4y5od5g.gif

I agree... all except for that ugly wad of 'baccy in his mouth in that last pic...

Yeah, but no more Coco Crisp. . . not that I will REALLY miss him that much. . . not like Manny. . .but a little. . . he was a scrappy leadoff. . . won't help KC THAT much either.

"He played through injuries. He played hard," Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said of Crisp. "With the emergence of Jacoby Ellsbury, we felt like we would be able to find a (backup) outfielder on the market easier than we would find a valuable member of the bullpen."

The Royals got Ramirez, a 27-year-old righty, in a trade with Colorado before last season. They were so impressed with his stuff that they projected him to be their closer.

With a fastball that reaches the mid-90s mph, Ramirez is a power pitcher who seems suited for the late innings. He was one of the primary setup men for closer Joakim Soria and flourished in that spot, going 3-2 with a 2.64 ERA and 70 strikeouts in 71 2-3 innings.

"He's very quietly had a tremendous amount of success in the major leagues over the last 2 1/2 years," Epstein said.

Ramirez figures to play a setup role for closer Jonathan Papelbon and could send Justin Masterson back to the rotation, where he feels more comfortable.

I'll definitely miss Coco, When Ellsbury didnt develop as fast as everyone though he was going to, it certainly was nice to have Crisp as the fourth outfielder-he had some hot streaks this year that sparked the team--and never mind his fielding--I still think he should have gotten a gold glove in 07.

I can understand the dilemma, there are only so may peak years in someones career and of course they want to play everyday during that time. As much as I'd like to see him stay, its only fair to him because he'd still be a part timer here.

Im not familiar with Ramirez but his numbers look sick -- It could be a crazy good back end of the bullpen if he pans out, probably as Papelbons setup guy along with Okajima--and Masterson could either move into the rotation (?) or if he stayed in the pen ==they'd have an awesome four guy lock down in place

EDIT: I responded before I actually read your article ( early- no coffee yet) After going back it basically says the same things I just wrote -sorry for the repeat --Although its good to see Theo and I are on the same page :biglaugh: --Great Minds and all that---

Edited by mstar1

I don't know Mstar. . . when you gotta go--go in style! LOL That was funny.

Last night I was near Boston and I noticed something. . . . everyone was wearing their Red Sox shirts, hats, and jackets. . . no Patriots gear around??

I thought it kinda odd.

As for Theo. . . I have learned to trust him(In Theo we trust), but the loss of some players. . well it is sometimes hard. I am okay with Coco going.

It started with Nomar. . . . . . . . . . .

Anyway. . . they want to get rid of Julio Lugo somehow. . . . that is alot of money to pay out for him.

Yup 16 degrees in the Berkshires today-- Lots of sox hats, jackets and sweatshirts as I was out and about today but I dont think I saw a single Patriots thing all day long.-It is sort of strange in a way but I have to say baseball generally runs much deeper in these parts (I have my 1781 hat around here somewhere!)

-In some parts of the country football is religion--I know people who love the Pats--(i was a season ticket holder for about 3 years in the 70's) but even then it rarely seems to really grab people and pull them in for a lifetime like the Sox do.

The Patriots are like the minority religion around here--sort of like the Mormons or something.

Ive also been hearing some rumors about Lugo, mostly for Dontrelle Willis since the Tigers need ...., but I cant see trading one bad contract for another one. If Willis could lower his BB rate he might regain who he was, but it has been steadily declining for about 3 years although an extra starter is always good to have around.

I think it would be interesting to keep him around as the utility infielder replacing Cora. With Coco gone the speed would be nice to keep to complement Ellsbury....I dont know how amenable Theo would be to paying a utility guy $10million a year though. In my book thats a little steep for apart time job

Lots of rumors circulating about A.J. Burnett as well ....mmm m mm :)

Another tidbit from my interim corps/Philly WOW year.

I actually went to a few Philly games. Well, where else can you be around a lot of people? (Can't say I got any of them signed up, though.) And, between seasons, I rememebr all the hype about Pete Rose coming to the Phillies. The word was that the fans wanted him, and he wanted to come. reportedly when asked if he would take less money to come to Philly, he said yes, but not a lot less. Well, of course, things got worked out. I think it was 800 thousand a year for four years. OK, someone index that to inflation, and I bet it is still quite a bit less than todays contracts. Right? Wrong?

When I was a kid, it was a big deal that Mickey Mantle made a hundred thousand. I've had years where I've made in that neighborhood myself-though where it went is beyond me. I think Mantle was making more signing junk in a couple weekends, than he made playing. Somehow, the whole concept of money, value, and worth has gone off into the Twilight Zone.

I'm mind boggled by the entire economic realities of today. They just gave 700 BILLION to bail out the country, but noone knows what to do with it, and the market continues to nosedive. Then there's the fatcat ceo's of the auto industry with their hands out. Everyone I know is tightening their belts and wondering if they'll have their jobs and/or homes a year from now.

The rich get richer and the rest of us scrape by. Thanks to free agency and Scott Boras, a huge chunk of ball players are as rich as the fatcat ceo's. The 140 million offer is 'crazy', as are dozens of contracts if you want to start looking at them .Another 'star' may have an 80 million contract. Suddenly that looks reasonable compared to the 'crazy' numbers. I don't even try to bring it into reality, because who can even begin to relate to any of it.

My personal opinion is that baseball should have set a salary cap long ago. Of course, that will never happen.

I'd like to see teams at least attempt to bring salaries down to a reasonable level. Its tough with guys like Boras

out there (asking Barry Zito money for Derek Lowe and Posada money for Varitek) but every year it seems there is some team like the Rays that somehow pull together a winner without spending astronomic money.

I know the Red Sox have been lowering there total salaries for a few years and are but at the same time feel compelled

to stay competitive with The Yankees.

The book on Billy Beane, "Moneyball" was a good way to beat the system, but everyone gets wise to the metrics so they seem to be ever changing..

...on that 700 Billion--It just boggles the mind...what boggles it even more is that it just seems to disappear and there is nothing ever to show for it. If it were my 700Billion Id put the 10million unemployed to work making 50K a year making all sorts of things we need--they'd work, get out of debt, keep their houses, stimulate the economy from the ground up and at the end we'd have something.....and Id still have 200Billion leftover

Yup 16 degrees in the Berkshires today-- Lots of sox hats, jackets and sweatshirts as I was out and about today but I dont think I saw a single Patriots thing all day long.-It is sort of strange in a way but I have to say baseball generally runs much deeper in these parts (I have my 1781 hat around here somewhere!)

-In some parts of the country football is religion--I know people who love the Pats--(i was a season ticket holder for about 3 years in the 70's) but even then it rarely seems to really grab people and pull them in for a lifetime like the Sox do.

The Patriots are like the minority religion around here--sort of like the Mormons or something.

Ive also been hearing some rumors about Lugo, mostly for Dontrelle Willis since the Tigers need ...., but I cant see trading one bad contract for another one. If Willis could lower his BB rate he might regain who he was, but it has been steadily declining for about 3 years although an extra starter is always good to have around.

I think it would be interesting to keep him around as the utility infielder replacing Cora. With Coco gone the speed would be nice to keep to complement Ellsbury....I dont know how amenable Theo would be to paying a utility guy $10million a year though. In my book thats a little steep for apart time job

Lots of rumors circulating about A.J. Burnett as well ....mmm m mm :)

Well, if Willis could gain a tenth of what he was. . . . maybe and if he could hit the plate instead of their heads!LOL Isn't he still young? Kinda a young Randy Johnson?? Maybe. . . it would be an interesting gamble. . . might actually settle down --focus and perform--oh and stay OFF the DL.

Don't many players who switch leagues settle in? OR Tank! Doesn't seem like a middle of the road thing. Maybe the place for him is Boston? I think that is an interesting rumor.

I heard the real reason the Yankees are after Sabbathia is to replace Giambi's bat!! LOL Pitch one day--DH the other three. (They always want EVERYBODY, but it is a save face thing for Hank)

A.J. Burnett will still get the big $$$ cause he is a SP--but there are enough closers to go around--K-Rod better make up his mind before his stock goes down. LOL

I hope and hope Schilling DOESN"T pull a Clemens. I love him--he has to go gracefully. Boston will always owe him a HUGE debt!!

It is going to be sooooo fun to watch Dustin. . . . sooooo fun!!

I heard the real reason the Yankees are after Sabbathia is to replace Giambi's bat!! LOL Pitch one day--DH the other three. (They always want EVERYBODY, but it is a save face thing for Hank)

Then they should go after Micah Owings... he could be had from the Reds for a lot less than CC in free agency...

good grief- you are joking that they want Sabbathia to hit, right ?

I don't know what you 'heard'. The Yankees are pretty much done with Giambi, and they obviously need to get pitching. If that's 'replacing', then so be it. I'll reserve my rant on how much I hate that irksome internet abbreviation 'LOL'.

I'll be enjoying Thanksgiving in the part of New England that's Yankee centric. Hope it warms up a few degrees before I get there.

good grief- you are joking that they want Sabbathia to hit, right ?

I don't know what you 'heard'. The Yankees are pretty much done with Giambi, and they obviously need to get pitching. If that's 'replacing', then so be it. I'll reserve my rant on how much I hate that irksome internet abbreviation 'LOL'.

I'll be enjoying Thanksgiving in the part of New England that's Yankee centric. Hope it warms up a few degrees before I get there.

Yeah, it was a JOKE--I read a batting trivia question somewhere and Sabbathia was the answer. . . . which is why I used that irksome LOL!! When I use the irksome smiley face I hear from other posters how they dislike THAT--no pleasing everyone I guess!

M. Owings used to pinch hit once in a while--I think? Right Rocky? You are a DBacks guy?

Hope you have a great Holiday Hiway--but bring warm clothes--18 for the HIGH today in Boston. Windy too. . . I was in Wellesley last night and the car was tossed around the road. Bring a scarf-hat-and gloves!!

Yikes-I don't HAVE a scarf or gloves, and I don't think my coat is made for that weather. Looks like my first stop will be a clothing store. The rental car had best have a good heater. I'm having flashbacks of the 200 dollar heaps I drove while in the way, that never had heaters that worked.

Maybe reliving some of the New England winter experience of my youth is good for me. I'm getting spoiled with fires and earthquakes out here.

OK, before anyone corrects me, Norm was a catcher and sometimes caught Larry.

And Larry wasn't that GREAT a hitter, looking up his stats. I think what happened is I remember a game when he was 3 for 4 with a home run and that made an impression on my young-eventually-to grow-older mind.

Maybe reliving some of the New England winter experience of my youth is good for me. I'm getting spoiled with fires and earthquakes out here.
:biglaugh:

Its not all that bad --Ive been questioning my sanity working OUTSIDE for the past two days--The first day reached a high of 8 degrees (and windy too) where I am--. But we'll be having a veritable heatwave today at 39--its regular swimming weather! -- Bring shorts!! :)

:biglaugh:

Its not all that bad --Ive been questioning my sanity working OUTSIDE for the past two days--The first day reached a high of 8 degrees (and windy too) where I am--. But we'll be having a veritable heatwave today at 39--its regular swimming weather! -- Bring shorts!! :)

Well, if it is that warm where you are--I CAN probably wear shorts here today!! As BEAUTIFUL as it is in the Berkshires--I don't like to go in the winter. Of course I always end up there in the winter. . . . Got caught in a BLIZZARD up there a few years ago. 2 days I was stuck in a hotel room.

We are lucky--no snow yet and surely none in CT. It is a bit warmer there I think??

Hiway--bring a scarf just in case. :) I will loan you one if you like. . . .blue okay?

Tazawa leaning toward Red Sox?

Posted by: The SI Staff01:20 PM ET 11.25 Share

According to reports, 22-year-old Japanese right-hander Junichi Tazawa is considering offers from four major league teams -- the Indians, Braves, Rangers and Red Sox -- but is leaning toward signing with Boston. Definitive terms of the offers are not clear, but the Rangers are said to have made the best offer.

In the Boston Herald, Michael Silverman noted that:

"One major league scout from an AL Central team said recently that he personally clocked Tazawa at 94 mph. Other reports say that he tops out in the low 90s. He also reportedly throws a plus curveball, changeup and splitter."

hhhmmmmm..........