GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I hear they offered him 6 million a year for two years, which seems like a lot for a 22 year old--especially with the amount of Latin talent out there for cheaper--- but at least there is no posting fee.

Bleacher Report

Name: Junichi Tazawa

Height: 5-11

Weight: 180 lbs.

Bats/Throws: R/R

Born: 6/6/1986

Delivery

Tazawa’s delivery has been the subject of concern for many fans. His arm lags behind his shoulder through his deliver, and his follow through is fairly upright and ends abruptly. These things are not uncorrectable and shouldn’t be a major concern for fans.

Tazawa lands well, which I think is one of the most important things for pitchers, and unlike many Japanese pitchers, his slightly awkward delivery is not used to mask his pitches or deceive the hitter, so mechanical changes shouldn’t throw off any rhythm he has or subtract from his production.

Tazawa balances his weight well, which maximizes his velocity and movement, and also puts the least amount of stress on his arm, compared to production of velocity as is possible.

Stuff

Tazawa features a low-mid-90s fastball, which tails in on right-handed hitters. His curve, which generally sits between 75-78 mph, is an effective offspeed pitch with sharp, late break. His slider, or possibly a shuuto, which he throws the least of all of the pitches breaks mostly down, and sits in the low-mid-80s.

Tazawa’s fastball has enough movement for backdoor strikes on the outside corner, and to cause lefties to chase it out of the zone. His fastball/curve speed ratio is ideal, and will cause hitters to swing on their front foot. His slider, perhaps the most impressive pitch in Tazawa’s repertoire has potential to be an out pitch in the bigs.

Pitching Style

Tazawa’s style is not dissimilar to that of Clay Buchholz, though he has a lesser fastball. Tazawa relies heavily on his curveball and slider, though less heavily on his slider. To go the distance in the major leagues, one mustn’t rely too heavily on their breaking stuff.

Similar to fellow countryman Daisuke Matsuzaka, Tazawa is a nibbler. In the majors, this could will be a problem. Japanese baseball has notoriously large strike zones, and it has taken time for Matsuzaka to adjust; he’s arguably still in the infancy of his adjustment process.

Tazawa controls both sides of the plate and changes speeds well, which is impressive at his age. It is rare to see a pitcher of Tazawa’s age able to throw the high-inside strike and strike a man out looking.

on parallel lines, with so many international players these days, what does a catcher or pitching coach say to someone that doesnt speak english when they go to the mound?

on parallel lines, with so many international players these days, what does a catcher or pitching coach say to someone that doesnt speak english when they go to the mound?

Dunno; my thought would be how does an umpire toss someone for getting to personal if they are doing it in another language?

Haven't seen any Russian players around, especially kids, so I don't get a chance to toss any of them when they say something mean and nasty thinking I don't understand them. But it would be fun to do!

Okay question here. . . I don't know anything about this kid other than what I just read tonight. With that kind of money. . . .

"Similar to fellow countryman Daisuke Matsuzaka, Tazawa is a nibbler. In the majors, this could will be a problem. Japanese baseball has notoriously large strike zones, and it has taken time for Matsuzaka to adjust; he’s arguably still in the infancy of his adjustment process."

would they possibly put him in the minors for awhile to get his footing?

would they possibly put him in the minors for awhile to get his footing?

It depends on how much they pay him and how long they control him I would think. If they do offer him 6mil-which i heard--that would rule out any minor league adjustment--they'll be expecting hime to contribute right away.

Thats way more than Lester, Masterson, Buchholz and Papelbon make--Combined

If its 2, 3 or 4 years for $6 they may consider it then.

The Sox sometime keep a miilion $ starter rehab project in AAA, like last year with Bartolo Colon, as insurance when a starter goes down. If they keep him at least for that role and hang onto him for a period of time as well it could be worth it.

Besides a glut of good young pitchers are always good to have around as bargaining chips. (Im thinking one of the Texas catchers)

Similar to fellow countryman Daisuke Matsuzaka, Tazawa is a nibbler.

One Dicek already drives me crazy (3-2, 3-2, 3-2, bases loaded--Geisha knows what I mean) I like him but I dont know if I could handle that type of game twice a week.

EDIT: Since I have no real baseball to watch this time of year I dug up this video of him. His stuff looks pretty good but its hard to tell what kind of league it is, judging by the age of the players I'd guess its similar to AA or AAA

I also just found THIS ARTICLE that google translated. Its tough to make out some of it although I love the way he refers to Daisuke as "The Presence Above The Clouds"---Just wait til he meets Lester and Beckett

Edited by mstar1

If they keep him at least for that role and hang onto him for a period of time as well it could be worth it.

One Dicek already drives me crazy (3-2, 3-2, 3-2, bases loaded--Geisha knows what I mean) I like him but I dont know if I could handle that type of game twice a week.

Yes, that was what I was wondering--too much money not to use him----but, I had the exact same thought as you! If he doesn't adapt that strike zone --- bases loaded--bases loaded---bases loaded!! I too love Dicek, but it is often STRESSFUL to watch!!

What does Eckersley say "I want to throw up when I watch Dicek pitch."

Tazawa looks great, but remember, with Dicek it seems he has this uncanny ability to settle down at 3-2.

Where would they put him in the rotation?

We need another Fidyrch--The Bird. . . . now THAT would be fun!!

:biglaugh:

The Bird was great--and fun--but he lasted all of one year if I remember right.

I dont know where they'd put him in the rotation, but you can usually count on needing at least 8 guys over the course of a season--some are bound to be off, some may get injured for a period..If there is no opening he could be the long relief /spot starter guy for a while if necessary with Masterson going into the rotation until something opens up. He could work on his adjustments from out there

Then you also have to wonder if Tim Wakefield will be coming back--He's a marvel, but he's getting up there in age--He could stick around til he is 50 but you never know what he may be thinking---I dont know if you heard about the 16 year old Girl in Japan who signed a professional baseball contract last week breaking the gender barrier- she credits her inspiration as----Tim Wakefield---apparently she throws a great knuckler.

I dunno of course but with Masterson, Buchholz, Bowden and now Tazawa as young arms, i think that one of them may be dangled in front of the Texans for either Saltalamacchia or Teagarden

Tomorrow is the 5 year anniversary of Theo's famous Thanksgiving at the Schillings, which was a big part of the new Red Sox era. I wonder who he'll be sharing drumsticks and cranberry sauce with tomorrow...Teixiera? CC? AJ Burnett?

Edited by mstar1

Theo should be having Turkey with Varitek as all these young pitchers are coming up. Granted he had a sub-

par year, but are there any catchers with his skills out there? I wonder if they will let their Captain go for an

unproven?? Do we really want a new catcher with the pitching it looks like we will have? Although . . . he

doesn't catch Wakey-- since Mirabelli --who can? I love Wakefield--most knucklers stick around. . . :)

Do they have someone for Wakey this year? Is Cash signed beyond last year? I gotta catch up!!

What about Lugo and Cora? Is there any place for them? Will they move Dustin to #4 and Papi down? Hmmmm

questions questions??

Good questions all! Id be for keeping 'Tek for two years at a reduced salary and move him eventually into a longterm coaching position but his agent the baseball antichrist Scott Boras wants about 4 years 50million--which as much as I love the guy--and we really need his leadership ---I unfortunately dont see happening the way he has been tailing off the last few years..

Cash caught Wake pretty well last year but didnt hit much at all--I dont know his status--I like him but I doubt that he'd be an everyday player--maybe thats just me--

I read the scouting reports on Taylor Teagarden last winter and havent been able to get my mind off him--Of course he could fizzle but it sounds an awful lot like the Varitek we heard about when he was a minor leaguer coming up a dozen or so years ago...I'd love to at least give him a look see for a year if Tek does go elsewhere.

I dont think Cora will be back he is like a statue in the field...also sorta stuck with Lugo in a bad contract for 2 more years at 18million, they'll either dump him for prospects like they did with Renteria (which eventually landed Coco) or platoon him with Lowrie I expect.

I dont know about the batting order from day to day half the time :biglaugh: --I liked Dustin in the two hole. of course Drew was great while he was there too. It sort of depends if Ellsbury starts getting on regularly

Heres my preferred lineup for opening day:

CF Ellsbury

2B Dustin

1B Texeira

DH Papi

3B Youk

LF Bay

RF Drew

C Teagarden

SS Lowrie

If the Sox do sign Texeira, either Youk or Mike Lowell become expendable. Id guess theyd trade Lowell--- maybe to the Dodgers who need a thirdbaseman--maybe they could pry Russell Martin from them somehow-(like take one their bad contract Ofers in the deal--or something) -which could also solve catching. Then Youk would move to third.

I dunno---I wish Theo had one of those "what do you think-tell us your views " websites like Obama has

A little change, but not off topic...back in my HS days, in the '60s, one of my classmates signed my yearbook as such....."To the trashcan shooting partner with the bounce shoot...the Tribe is going to finish behind the red Sox this year."

We had a number of friendly debates about the quality of our favorite teams.

In fact (the yearbook is buried somewhere in the basement)...this might have been at the end of my Junior year...spring 1967. Hmmm.....

What? No big Frank Howard fans, or Eddie Brinkman or Del Unser?

I loved watching those old Senators--mostly because when they came into Fenway there was always a doubleheader scheduled!

You werent all that far from the Orioles either-I would have loved to have an up close look of those Boog/Brooks/Frank Robby teams...

It was 5 years ago today that the Red Sox franchise changed. I remember the Thanksgiving night that some guy claiming to be Curt Schilling came into the Red Sox chatroom while he was considering signing --he now claims that coming in there and seeing the activity and passion of the fans was the final thing that sealed the deal.

Love him or hate him--that turned out well up until that point I had only known intense frustration as a Red Sox fan and thought that I would never ever see the Red Sox win a WS in my lifetime

HERES a video from the day after he signed in 2003

What? No big Frank Howard fans, or Eddie Brinkman or Del Unser?

I loved watching those old Senators--mostly because when they came into Fenway there was always a doubleheader scheduled!

You werent all that far from the Orioles either-I would have loved to have an up close look of those Boog/Brooks/Frank Robby teams...

Oh, now let's put this in perspective. I loved the Senators too; it's just that we never got to talking about how hi they'd finish.Frank Howard was always the favorite, of course, for his mammoth home runs especially. For a while I lived in the same apartment complex he did (River Towers in Alexandria) but never saw him there.

Of course, many teams would put the old shift on him, and he usually didn't get fancy; he'd just hit the tar out of the ball when he didn't K. The infields would play him far back; which made sense; only once did i see him beat this with a bunt. into no man's land where he had so much time to get to first that my grandmother could have made it.

Yes, Eddie to and his sharp fielding at SS, same for Del, usually in the OF. And don't forget Darold Knowles who went, I think, 2-14 as a reliever with an ERA not far over 2. In later years when they got Ron Hansen for a while, he pulled off his unassisted TP. Tom Cheney and his 21 Ks in 16 innings; etc. etc. etc.

For a couple years after Bob Short yanked them out to TX, I did go up to see the Birds several times at old Memorial Stadium. I was always impressed with how quickly I could drive up north though town to the stadium; the traffic light synchronization on those one ways was incredible. The only bad experience was when I drove up once for a scheduled doubleheader; just after 5 innings of the first game, the rains came, and when the grounds crew rolled out the tarp, it didn't reach the third base line for some reason, so that stood there getting soaked, and of course the game was called.

Edited by Lifted Up

The only bad experience was when I drove up once for a scheduled doubleheader; just after 5 innings of the first game, the rains came, and when the grounds crew rolled out the tarp, it didn't reach the third base line for some reason, so that stood there getting soaked, and of course the game was called.

:biglaugh:

oops--Not quite like the groundskeepers of today--

I have a Pittsburg newspaper article from the late 20's --a game my dad was at at Forbes Field unde r similar circumstances as you -(it may have been a July 4 doubleheader---that rained --and after

the rains the infield dirt was covered with gasoline and set on fire until it dried out :) I have the front page picture of massive flames covering the infield :biglaugh: with the stadium full of people---something that they'd never ever get away with today.its agreat picture one of these days I may dig it out.

Ive said before on this thread that Frank Howard hit by far the highest popup that I have ever seen in my life--He was big slow and lumbering and was pulling into third by the time it came down...When I ran into George Scott, the Sox firstbaseman of that era afew years ago in Mississipi, he told me that the hardest hit he ever saw was when Frank hit a line drive just over the shortstops head in agame in Washington. The shortstop leapt and it ticked off his glove slowing it down and the ball still landed deep in the upper deck. The Boomer said it still wakes him up at night sometimes.

I swear I saw Franks popup but sometimes I wonder if Boomers story is a bit of a talltale or a trick of the memory as it seems a little too fantastic and legendary-- like Josh Gibsons fly ball that never came down or Cool Papa Bell who was so fast he hit a groundball up the middle and it hit him in the back as he slid into second :biglaugh:

It was said--"He was so fast -he could turn off the light switch and get in bed before the lights went out"

When I ran into George Scott, the Sox firstbaseman of that era afew years ago in Mississipi, he told me that the hardest hit he ever saw was when Frank hit a line drive just over the shortstops head in agame in Washington. The shortstop leapt and it ticked off his glove slowing it down and the ball still landed deep in the upper deck. The Boomer said it still wakes him up at night sometimes.

I hadn't hear that one but I believe it, having seen quite a number of his shots go into the seats that never got very high above the field.

Some that did go into the upper deck still going up made me wonder how far they would have traveled if RFK Stadium had not been closed in, say if it had been like the "Big A" before that was closed up.

There are some things you see that are eye rubbing "did I just really see that" amazing.

I know Frank was like that...Some of the shots Ive seen Manny hit are like that --about 525' to right center on a bad way down and in pitch, still has my head shaking,-- one he hit over the light tower a few years ago at Fenway (OVER THE LIGHT TOWER) and a blast into the FIFTH Deck in Toronto in 01 or so still boggle my mind.

I see them my jaw drops I talk about them for a few weeks, then they seem to get dug out on these cold winter days as a reminder of why I love the game so much.

I still occassionally wake up and think about a throw I saw Reggie Smith make . He threw out Dave McNally of the Orioles at home on a sac fly from the 379 mark in 1968. Guys rarely even reach the infield from there anymore-its always relayed in--- Reggie threw a perfect one hopper to the plate on a line like it had been shot out of a bazooka and had him by a step :)

Heres a story I know Geisha is going to want to read--A Pitchers Most Memorable Thanksgiving

A day that changed Sox fans forever

Edited by mstar1

I still occassionally wake up and think about a throw I saw Reggie Smith make . He threw out Dave McNally of the Orioles at home on a sac fly from the 379 mark in 1968. Guys rarely even reach the infield from there anymore-its always relayed in--- Reggie threw a perfect one hopper to the plate on a line like it had been shot out of a bazooka and had him by a step :)

I am guessing McNally was not going full steam because (1) he probably figured he had an easy trot home and (2) assuming he did, it wouldn't make sense to run himself ragged since he had to go back to the mound shortly.

The Indians' best arm I ever saw was Jose Cardenal. he was only with them for two years, but sure put in some strong throws from the OF.

Edited by Lifted Up

I was at that game and McNally was actually sent in to pinch run. He wasnt going full bore but he wasnt walking or jogging home like they do now either--he had a fairly good clip going then tried to pick up steam when he knew the throw was coming home but by then it was too late--Still an absolutely amazing throw.

I remember Cardenal--I saw him play --a little lean quick guy if I remember but I never saw him enough to recall any throws he made---Reggie had me captured though...During a long rain delay in 67 , when nothing was happening, he and Yaz came out near the dugout as the rain dissipated and were standing and talking for a few minutes. Yaz (i guess on a challenge from Reggie) threw a ball off the left field monster at Fenway which woke up the wet crowd...Reggie thenpicked up a ball and threw it not only OVER the wall but OVER the old net above the wall as well as the place went nuts cheering....I couldnt tell you who won that day, or even who they were playig but I'll never forget that

Yea people findit hard to believe now, where every Red Sox game has been sold out and packed in for about 5 years, that Ive been to games when there were just a few thousand people there.

I actually went to a Patriots game at Fenway Park in th early 60's on time and it was snowing so the entire crowd was huddled up under the roof, from certain angles it looked like no one was there

Now its not only packed but every single person has some Sox jersey, hat, jacket or something on flying their colors--I dont even think I rarely saw anyone wearing a Sox hat back then

I constantly hear talk about various stadiums being outdated or for whatever reason the team need something new and improved....I suppose the Sox will move out of Fenway when hell freezes over?

...edited to give Fenway its proper respect...I forgot to capitalize it!!!

Edited by Lifted Up

Okay, in the who-in the h*** cares department, I got my first taste of umpiring in some softball games, and of all times and places, it took place during my interim corps year as a Philly WOW in the early summer of 1979. There were some pickup games near our apartment, and it was outwardly an attempt (failed of course) at wintessing, just as going to Phillies games was :rolleyes: . the group decided it soul be nice to have an ump, and I volunteered.

But I've always had the temperament. In my late teens, in a fastpitch church league (even though our team wasn't really a church), I flabbergasted an umpire once by telling him he called a good game...I was on the losing team.

Just got back from Ct-no baseball there but an interesting visit to a Hallmark store in Southbury.

Big baseball junk displays, equal sized for Yankees, and Red Sox, and a 'by the way' corner for whatever Mets fans might be there.

If one were to generalize based on what I saw, it looked like red necks and republicans were Sox fans, and anyone going near NY to work were Yankee fans.

That's generalizing way too much . I'm sure I'll be hearing comments, since this is becoming more a Sox fan site than ever, at least some of those laughable trade ideas sound like stuff you read on a fan site. Lowell and some prospect catcher for Russell Martin ? If that catcher is so good YOU keep him. Youkilis for Martin is at least something to talk about, but in hot stove talk, it's always dumping people not needed, and picking up another teams star for them.

Guess I'm sounding grumpy. It was a looong flight but a good trip.

If one were to generalize based on what I saw, it looked like red necks and republicans were Sox fans, and anyone going near NY to work were Yankee fans.

That's generalizing way too much . I'm sure I'll be hearing comments, since this is becoming more a Sox fan site than ever, at least some of those laughable trade ideas sound like stuff you read on a fan site.

Okay, I'll start them off...

Without taking sides, I know there are Sox (and Yankee) fans in many places, but somehow I have never equated red Sox territory with Republicans.

:)

Yea people findit hard to believe now, where every Red Sox game has been sold out and packed in for about 5 years, that Ive been to games when there were just a few thousand people there.

I actually went to a Patriots game at Fenway Park in th early 60's on time and it was snowing so the entire crowd was huddled up under the roof, from certain angles it looked like no one was there

Now its not only packed but every single person has some Sox jersey, hat, jacket or something on flying their colors--I dont even think I rarely saw anyone wearing a Sox hat back then

That is weird to think of. . . an empty Fenway!! I used to go with my Dad when I could barley see over the seat. . . to my minds eye it was always crowded.

Now of course, you better get your tickets early! Packed and proud!

I read that entire article Schilling wrote that you posted. Thanks! The Sox were not even on his radar---the fans won him over. I wish I had been in that chat room. How fun! He was grilled but not worshipped :)

Well. . . . Welcome to Boston!!