GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

People are fans of different teams --and --thats baseball--I think its healthy-it gives us something to talk and think about besides wars, rumors of wars and a coming depression...

for along time I was stuck with the Red Sox, I loved them but had constant quarrels with front office mistakes and mismanagement and oodles of other things but I stuck in there it wasnt really an option to change allegiances...

Im not going to apologize for it either--.

I probably would be dancing if Tex signed but in another sense Im glad that they held the line. To me its starting to look like one of those 'blessing in disguise' moments. With the Yankees possibly close to their off season spending limit the Red Sox are left in the best position to snap up a few free agent bargains that more obviously fill their needs and to trade some of their emerging minor league talent for other in their prime major leaguers to improve the team where it's most needed.

The bottom line at this point is that the Yankees and Sox have surprisingly comparable teams in terms of overall talent though the Bronxites are spending about $80 million more per season.

A few tweaks to bolster Sox catching, solidify their reserves depth and possibly (optional at this point) upgrading their pitching staff are all that is necessary to make this a successful off season for the Sox. Extending as many of their core player in the prime of their careers is also worthwhile. I have no doubt that Sox management will again make smart moves to improve the team and that they will compete with the Yankees and Rays in their tough Division.

Lost in the hoopla of the Texeira negotiations and signing was Baseball America naming Theo Epstein as ML executive of the year.

In six years under general manager Theo Epstein, the Red Sox have enjoyed more on-field success than any team in baseball. Boston has been to the playoffs five times, winning two championships and coming just one win short of reaching two additional World Series.

During that time, the primary goal of the Red Sox has been, in Epstein's words, "to build a healthy foundation that could put us in position to have sustained success." By all indications, the Sox have done precisely that.

Over the last few years there has been some swings and misses but overall its well deserved imo.

Its almost as interesting watching how these two teams play the off season as they play the season. Two distinctive different styles-

The biggest signing the Sox have had under Theo is JD Drew at 75m/5 years which is miniscule compared to some of Cashmans signings. It all seems to work--In Theo We Trust

Congrats to Theo... Tex would've been a perfect fit in Boston as far as his abilities are concerned... could play first and/or third just like that bald guy with a beard who sweats profusely :)

...but you wouldn't like his influence in the room... he'll fit right in with the other egos in NY... (not speaking of Jeter there)

.but you wouldn't like his influence in the room..

Id love to have someone who is .300/35/120 every year, but 'in the room' is asjust as big of a factor imo , if not more...

Bostonians spent alot of years having one or two big names and teams that went nowhere-it took a long time to learn that lesson...It used to be a daily occurrence in these parts hearing which players were discontent and who was ....ed off at who---its been fun NOT hearing that except once in a very great while (and of course once ayear with Manny for afew weeks) ----IF that was going to be a factor in the Tex deal -then its another one of those 'blessing in disguise moments--dont want it-dont need it-I'll take Mike Lowell at third and Lars Anderson next year at first -and wish Good luck to Tex in the Bronx

Omigod. They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

We can only hope. <_<

eo... Tex would've been a perfect fit in Boston as far as his abilities are concerned... could play first and/or third just like that bald guy with a beard who sweats profusely :)

Youk-alip-tis?

Wow, big bill coming due for the Yanks. . . from RiverAve.blues

This year’s damage: $26.9M. That’s up from $23.9M last year, and it’s the most they’ve owed since 2005. It also brings their total luxury tax payout to $148.3M in the six seasons it’s existed. The only other team over the $162M threshold this year are the Tigers, who owe just $1.3M. Checks are due January 31st.

Is that divided evenly amongst the teams--anyone know?

If so its very nice of the Yanks to want to help pay for the new grandstand seats at Fenway.. :)

--The Luxury Taxeira will be pretty high for awhile--

I wonder what they'll buy us next year for Christmas

I am pretty sure it goes to the smaller market teams. Something to do with exclusivity rights. . . meaning they can't move to higher market areas. The better revenue areas are "Promised".

It is SUPPOSE to be a deterrent to one big market team signing all the talent. HA! I think it goes by team payroll as to who gets the money.

We probably won't see any of it, but it would be sweet in a way.

Looks like the Sox are going to pick up Brad Penny. If he's healthy, that's the steal of the year.

I'll never understand how teams pay players millions to sit on the dl, only to let them go when they're presumably healthy.

I also don't understand players who take millions sitting on the bench, only to bolt for free agency at the first opportunity. I've been riddled with guilt over having to take a 2 week medical leave from work lately, with a huge part of me needing to get back in and work twice as hard. Maybe I'm over reacting, but I feel obligated to make up for lost time, and to show appreciation to the company.

You must have been born with a darn conscience,

What a rip! I think I might have one too (most of the time) and it keeps my $$ factor lower than it could be--

It has its benefits but I may go in for a consciencectomy and have it removed <_< :rolleyes:

or at least have a guiltoectomy--that never does me any good..

but seriously--- I hope you are doing OK

I like the Penny deal too--It seems to be what the Sox do---low risk (5mil) -high possible return--plus he is in a contract year --It'll be interesting what he does compared to AJ or CC especially at the bargain basement price..

Good deal....

The MLB network finally began yesterday. It's predictably jammed with glitzy sets, that overpower the actual human beings. I'll give it a couple of months before getting too critical, as I still recall ESPN in it's first days.

What was wonderful, was the airing in it's entirety (minus the first inning which has disappeared) of the 1956 perfect WS game pitched by Don Larsen. THAT was fun. Mel Allen announced the first few innings, and who but Vin Scully !! did the rest of the game. No 'color' commentators, no bells and whistles, just baseball.

They also had the commercials ! Casey Stengel shaving with his Gillette (how are you fixed for blades?) razor.

The game was tight and suspenseful. I never appreciated the catch Mantle made in deep left center until seeing it in context. And just to see Jackie Robinson, Gil Hodges, Yogi, etc in a real game context.

Don Larsen and Yogi were on hand in the studio, interviewed by Bob Costas between innings.

It was all grand. Of course a new cable network only has so many hours programming, so I've been able to see it 3 more times since then if I choose to.

They claim to have hundreds of hours of old classic games. That's a feature to look forward to.

I think they're airing 26 games this season. Sounds like a 'game of the week' thing. I hope they're creative in games picked, along with the usual 'you know who' teams.

If you don't get it, contact your cable company ( yeah, right). I'm still surprised mine has it.

bummer-mines on channel 429 !!, and I only stumbled on it by accident. Maybe it's buried deep.

I hate cable companies, and the power they have. I've got 500 channels I never watch. Like I said, I'm amazed I'm getting MLB, and I hope you all can also, now or soon. I know it seems futile, but letting the company know you want it can't hurt.

starman (and others) go HERE...

...you can type in your zip code and it tells you what channel it's on in your area

here it's on 213 on DirecTV, 86 on FIOS and 198 on Time Warner here (I just looked and it's there! they're showing highlights from the world series, then it's "Red Sox memories" and then "hot stove"...

The ex GF in the next town gets it but not me <_< --so right now its...um...complicated...Im watching alittle when I can...

I did get to catch the last few innings of Larsens perfect game---What a treat that was--I found myself rooting for Furillo and Campanella -- hoping that theyd get a hit and pull the game out :biglaugh:

I'd love to see Ken Burns series again--but I dont know if that is in the cards right now...keep me posted if there are any other cant miss shows---its gonna take some finagling

In other news, I thought THIS was a cool story about Sox owner John Henry

It's been a rough go for Red Sox owner John Henry, as the team winning championships in 2004 and 2007 might have been the only thing that kept him sane.

He made his fortune at John W. Henry & Co., a hedge fund that specialized in commodities and futures, but his system let him down in recent years and the $2.5 billion under management plunged.

But, very quietly, John Henry had apparently had a great year in 2008, as the rest of the economic world started hurting. The S&P 500 posted its third worst year ever, down 38.49 percent. The Dow was down 33.8 percent for the year, its biggest decline since 1931. Meanwhile, John Henry's funds were counting the cash.

The chart below has the numbers for his funds through November, which is the latest update we have. Maybe the Red Sox could have afforded Mark Teixeira after all.

John Henry Funds Through November

FUND ASSETS UNDER MANAGEMENT 2008 PERFORMANCE

JHW GlobalAnalytics $135 Million +82.78 percent

JHW Diversified Plus $50 million +38.22 percent

Intl. Foreign Exchange $29 million +76.10 percent

Financial & Metals $26 million +39.31 percent

JHW Financial Plus $9 million +34.57 percent

JHW World Commodity $8 million +68.57 percent

Its really good to see some good financial news for once--

looks like a lot of his money is out of the country!

I'm watching "Hot Stove" right now... have the DVR set to the Ken Burns thing, I've always liked that and can watch it at least once a year...

I guess Giambi is going back to the bay area... but he might be chasing the dreams of his youth...

Happy Birthday--Mr Tom--may this year bring you another enjoyable season

I stay away from the birthday threads because i know im going to miss someone --so I miss them all instead

I wish you a Happy Birthday here--blow out your candles and wish for a solid dominating front line pitcher now.

birthday-candles.jpg

(is that enough? too many?)

Of course for the stRangers to get a number 1 starter you may have to blow out one of those California wildfires... :biglaugh:

Sox are getting ready to sign Rocco Baldelli who I have been enthralled with since I saw him throw out two guys at the plate from CF on consecutive plays a few years ago...Now THAT doesnt happen everyday...its one of those things you dont forget...Not as sexy as a Tex signing but he'll be a good solid fourth outfielder. . .which is just as important

There is also some noise about signing John Smoltz, as the Sox annual low cost potential high yield old guy pitching insurance--I really love that move...

So the 25 are startin to fill in on this coast.....

Whats up with Manny?

Edited by mstar1

I wish I knew what was up with Manny. Unfortunately, I have little faith in the Dodgers front office, and won't be surprised to see the Giants or Angels (please-not the Yankees) grab him any day now.

Maybe I'm wrong. Dodgers with Manny vs Dodgers without Manny is night and day. Pennant favorite,vs .500 mediocre team. Excited fans vs 'leave early to avoid the traffic'. A reason why you have to stay in your seat vs wandering the park-the parties in the loge outdoor bar area where you can't see the game are amusing to me-cheaper to just go to the neighborhood pub.

Dodger management doesn't seem concerned. One bean counter said that no one is threatening to cancel season tickets if Manny isn't here, so no worries. Great.

I confess I'm a Manny convert.

For all his quirks he makes baseball fun thats for sure---I even love his quirks, which can be the best part..

I wish it couldve been smoother here--finish out his career then give him a talk show---which wouldve been great..but...who knows with Manny... I still think he's a fit for the Dodgers...although knowing him he could very well decide to go play cricket in Jamaica for awhile and have a great time doing it

Who knows?

manny.jpg

Edited by mstar1

thanks for the b'day wishes and no... that's probably not enough candles (but I confess I didn't count them).. I don't know what's up with Manny, but what's up with the Cubbies signing MB? No way he can field a position for a season... he couldn't even DH for a season here... but miraculously he was good in the room... maybe Simonzeeloaded has some Cubbie insight to offer...

Started DVRing a series on MLBTV last night called "inside the moments"... looks good...

Im jealous of all this MLBTV talk--Im gonna have to do some finagling with the exgf I guess--It sounds like agreat way to beat the winter blues...I heard that Ken Burns has updated the baseball series --- Id love to see whats on that--as well as just have the option to watch some bball on these cold winter nights...

I also thought THIS was a good read about a woman who found the worlds oldest baseball card and had no idea what it was---an 1869 Red Stockings card--tried to sell it on Ebay for $10 before she figured out maybe it was worth a little more...

I'm sorry that Mstar doesn't have MLB today, as they're showing 3 hours of Red Sox Memories as I type.

I'm enjoying it, as I really did like some of the Sox teams and eras of the past.

I expect the Sox, and Yankees memories ,so I was more interested in the hour devoted to the '85 Brewers-'Harvey's Wallbangers'- This is the kind of thing I hope to see more of.