GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

The Dodgers released the info about Manny turning down the money, in a calculated manner to make him look as bad as possible. Which isn't hard to do.

It then comes out that most of that money is in deferred payments over several years, meaning no interest can be paid on money he has earned. In other words, typical Frank McCourt cheapness.

I'm sick of both sides.

At the same time, thousands showed up at a Dodger Stadium job fair, willing to work any job. cleaning bathrooms. security guard, for 10 bucks or so an hour. Many of them desperate to just feed their families.

As 'good ol' vp' once said-something must be wrong with our scale of values.

Ive had enough of this, it this looks to me like its about Boras trying to save face and his career more than it is about Manny.

This isnt 2001 or 2006--when Bobby Abreu gets 1yr 5Mil and Adam Dunn gets 2/20 it is fair to say the market has changed quite a bit.

Is Manny worth more than 5X Bobby Abreu or 2.5X Adam Dunn?

I like Manny but It sux he gets caught in this sh!t. It looks like a great deal to me $25mil and an option at $20 more?

I'd still lay that out there for 3 days and after that say enjoy finishing your career in Japan..

yeah, Boras is the real face of evil.

I do have problems with the 'deferred payments' though. The thinking out here is that McCourt doesn't have the money,which seems ridiculous , based ob his 2 Malibu homes, and the cash cow that the Dodgers are.

It's still a good deal. Boras could care less about the economy, morality, or even the reality that the Dodgers and Manny are the best fit the player is going to find. Boras doesn't care about what will make the player happy and successful-just how much money he can grab, any way he can.

He's also screwed up a bunch of deals in the last few years (didnt ARod negotiate for himself after the big "Im not going back to the Yankees" fiasco of last winter?). I know he "negotiated" Jason Varitek into a 5 million dollar cut this year. After all the ridiculous contracts (Barry Zito and Andruw Jones come to mind) management has wised up.

I doubt this is about Manny, Boras needs a "score" to save face and to remain relevant and he's not getting it.

I honestly think that Manny would just play baseball because he genuinely loves it and would probably still be with the Red Sox if he didnt have Boras whispering in his ear and manipulating him.

Manny's an interesting character but over the years here there were many issues but it was NEVER centered around money until Boras moved into the picture last year. I may be wrong but it seems counter to Manny's character

:asdf: :asdf:

Blizzard

:realmad:

Dear Geisha

I know your connected up well with the top dog residing behind the pearly gates. Please contact the Big Boss and remind him that spring training is now underway, games are on the tube and we are trying to get amped up for opening day down here.

We are pretty much all set with all this snow bullsh!t, we dont need anymore

Seriously--no more--no mas--fini

Thanks

mstar

:asdf::asdf:

Blizzard

Dear Geisha

I know your connected up well with the top dog residing behind the pearly gates. Please contact the Big Boss and remind him that spring training is now underway, games are on the tube and we are trying to get amped up for opening day down here.

We are pretty much all set with all this snow bullsh!t, we dont need anymore

Seriously--no more--no mas--fini

Thanks

mstar

Mstar,

I was in my favorite ripped jeans and faded Red Sox tee-shirt the other day. I felt like a kid! Nearly a warm breeze blowing. . . spring training was coming alive. . . so was I . . . I was riding high and happy. Seriously, silly grin all day.

This morning. . . I felt OLD!

In the fall, I asked for a mild winter. After the first and second snow I asked for no more. After January I was begging. . . here it is March and as you say. . . this snow bull. . .

I don't think He is listening to me.

All winter long. . . the same mantra. .. come quickly. . . BASEBALL.

You don't want me asking anymore. . . we may have a record snowfall for APRIL!! :)

Well Hiway Manny's back home in Dodgerville.

What a fiasco

Manny had a guaranteed $40m for 2 years from the Red Sox which was "mistreatment" so the entire drama of the last year has end up centering around $5million,

Given Boras is going to take his cut, Manny very well may have gotten another ring if he had stayed with the Red Sox, and probably would have gotten some more endorsements from that---Other than being entertaining--its all just about a wash moneywise plus he hurt his legacy some in Boston

At least he made some new fans in LA, but was it really worth all the drama?

Boras is starting more and more to look like the a$$ everyone knows that he is--

and Hiway gets to watch my favorite swing in baseball for another 2 years

Well, I'm happy. I know I'll be getting a fair return on all the money I shell out for Dodger tickets now. I never think of going to ballgames in monetary terms, but for some reason it hit me that way.

The Dodgers are looking good now-certainly in the NL Worst.

I'm ready for the season, and welcome back Manny.

:biglaugh:

yea you might say that...

During his first 4 or so years he looked destined to be the best player of his generation, to me it seemed like watching a Joe Dimaggio when he walked to the plate. Its still too bad about that one pitch to the wrist.

Glad he found himself a job though--Hopefully he gets his first appearance back at Fenway since he left...

edit: I looked it up-its on July 6..

Lots of old friends and members of the '04 team coming back to Fenway this season. Lowe in June, Nomar in July, maybe a few appearances by Pedro or Schilling depending on where they sign.

Edited by mstar1

I'm not into this WBC thing. It's still early in spring training, and all these players are competing like it's mid season ? I'm sure there are owners, managers, and fans dreading the thought of one of their key guys coming up lame.

It also starts the regular season later. I almost paid big money for an early April game against the Brewers, and realized just in time it was an exhibition game. It's mystery why the Brewers are in Dodgers Stadium that late for a meaningless game, but at least I didn't bite.

Suddenly both the Dodgers and Angels are exciting- unless the economy ruins me, I'll be at the ballparks often this year.

I'll be treading water and watching more games on TV myself this year

I dont get the WBC thing either.

MLB must have worked out something with the union and the teams to do this as a way to generate more interest in other countries ..or something.

Players are usually on a strict developmental and conditioning timeline in spring training set by their team which all goes kaflooey.

Im surprised the ML teams agreed to it, offering multijillion dollars of players up to potential injury doesnt fell right to me at all..

So whats goin on out there?

Im not watching much of this WBC thing--I just cant get enthused about it at all....

Red Sox just signed Jon Lester to an extension yesterday which I think is a great signing.

As much as I was rambling on about wanting Texeira in the early winter, The RS signed the homegrowns instead...the MVP and Gold Glover (Pedroia), Gold Glover and 3rd place MVP (Youkilis) and one of the best young pitchers in the game (Lester) for way less money than Tex.

I have to think we got the best deal there

Pedroia 6 years 40M + Youkilis 4 years 41M + Lester 5 years 30M = 111M

Teixeira 180M for 8 years.

Looking at it that way shows how inefficient the free agent market is....

It feels good to have great core of young players locked in

There's talk that the Dodgers are interested in Pedro Martinez. I think they should go for it , and how weird will that be? Manny and Pedro together again, on a team managed by Joe Torre, and coached by Don Mattingly. Worlds collide.

Now if I can only afford to go to some games this year...

Me too---I feel like the days of Hobo's will be coming back soon---I just may have to get out my harmonica and play some Woody Guthrie Train songs.

That would be an interesting way to watch Pedro go out--with Manny and Joe---, There has also been some talk around here about Pedro. As a fanboy I have mixed emotions, it would be good to see him back but its good having the memories of him when he was a God on the mound. It may sort of sour it just a bit if he showed up and was the shell of his former self---but---He is Pedro--- I think he still has a few great games in him before he exits...when Pedro is ON there was nothing as dominating on the mound that I have ever seen. ever. In his prime he toyed with teams--hopefully if he lands in LA, you'll get to see a few of those....

I had tickets to the wbc semi final offered to me for free the other day. Field level , right at first base.

I turned them down because my granddaughter is spending the weekend, and I wasn't really caring about the wbc.

I'm still not caring, but after the us comeback the other day, my curiosity was sparked.

now I'm thinking it would have been interesting, but the wbc is still weird-mainly because of the timing.

Oh well, real baseball starts soon. First game at the stadium for me is in mid April, and I am ready for that.

geez, I'm reading how banged up the USA team is, and I have to say this WBC thing has to go-or else play in the fall. I'm sure Mstar is thrilled that Youkilis is hurt. Chipper Jones strained an oblique-which is never good, David Wright is hobbling.

It's crazy playing these games during spring training ,of all times. I'm sorry I turned down Saturdays tickets just for missing the fun of watching the mess.

and Pedroia

Ive turned the whole thing off --Its too distracting to me..

I did catch this Manny being Manny moment the other day

BDD_MR_cricket.jpg

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

He couldnt play for the Dodgers the other day but has plenty of time for a game of cricket---Its gonna be a fun year in LA--God I miss that guy.........

BDD_MR_cricket2.jpg

after signing for 45mil, i wonder if they know that he takes September off :biglaugh:

Like you wouldn't take Manny back in a second.

I've been warning my Dodger fan friends who treat the Red Sox and the American league like it's on another planet, that we're going to see the dark side of Manny, before we're done.

I still say he's worth the money. The NL west is so bad, they may have the division won by August, anyway.

Or, the pitching might stink, Manny could be hurt, and the Dodgers disappoint once again.

In baseball, you don't know nothing.

Just read a new bio of Yogi- not the best book I've ever read, but pretty insightful and in depth-to a point. Very revealing in just how important Yogi was to the Yankees, and really how underrated he is.

of course I'd take Manny back in a minute--Ive said a billion times that he is the most enjoyable player I have ever watched --aside from what he does on the field, He' s always interesting and has an element of humor with what he does and who he is...--So he plays cricket this year...last year at this time he was a ZenMaster

manny_ramirez_prays_for_royale_with.jpg

The year before that he was selling his stuff on ebay

mannygrill.jpg.

The year before was the first year of his dreads

No matter what happens he alsmost always fun to watch---The "darkside" of Manny isnt even really all that dark to me--so maybe he doesnt hustle one or twice amonth, In real life who doesnt dog it once in awhile?--I know that I do once in awhile--except I can hide it..Its just that he is more visible than most--Hes just being human

If he is great 28 days a month and he throws to the wrong base or forgets how many outs there are once in awhile its still a plus overall--and more a source of amusement

You said it, Kimberly.

Most of my baseball playing was with scuffed up balls, taped up bats, on rocky infields, with unkempt outfields, using whatever we could find for bases. There were rarely enough players, so there was no right field, any ball hit there was foul. There were no first or second base men, so you threw to the pitcher , who was 'first base'. Of course, someone on the other team was the catcher, but don't expect him to take any throws on runners coming home.

And I loved every minute of it.

When I played Little League, with real teams, uniforms and fields, it was like being in the big leagues.

i agree too---I still stop when I see kids playing and enjoy watching every bit as much as a big league game--maybe more...I still keep my glove in my car everyday and a pair of gloves at my shop....just in case someone comes in and wants to play catch........

That childlike simplicity is still the key essential element of the game and why I still get swept away in it....I went to about 20 major league games last year but my favorite moment of the year was when my neighbor. 9 year old Jimmy, made an absolutely astounding catch robbing me of the winning HR in the last inning of a pick up wiffle ball game after work one day.... He ran through the yard and dove into the bushes and came up with it.....No film crews from ESPN were there, it isnt on The "The 50 best plays of all time" but he still beams from ear to ear when ever he see me, and may be the best catch he will ever make in his lifetime.

I dont think he or any of the other 5 of us there will ever forget it-If he gets to be 50 and a judge--he'll still remember it..---------baseball gotta love it

So, what about Pedro? What about the rest of the unsigned pitchers. . . . is one of the small market teams going to grab Pedro cheap?

He may have to show some grace and do a Schilling. . . or did I miss something?

Any other free agent players like Frank Thomas out there?

Is Joba going to start the year in the bullpen or can they squeeze him in the rotation?

What is the deal with Miguel Tetejeda? Will he play this year?

Although hay field baseball is our family tradition. . . every birthday or cook out. . . . when the "Big Boys" play, . . . . that is still baseball in my book.

A special feeling and excitment being at the park. . . no matter where I am. . . Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, or Boston, it is still baseball and these guys give me lots of thrills. :)

Nice weather yesterday and that spring. . . . baseball. . . coming back to life feeling was in full swing.

Hey, this is how I live year to year. . . . can't tell me it is better playing in the hay field or more "Real" . . . just different. . . the Red Sox are almost like family around here.

Edited by geisha779