GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Rice's numbers could be considered 'borderline', but I think he's long overdue to get in. My 2 cents is that the Hall is about more than numbers. It's the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of who sticks around enough years to pile up numbers. Jim Rice was in the elite class of great players of his time.

I'm sorry to read that Young wants out of Texas. Who's this 'phenom' that they want to move Young to from short to third for-to the point of causing Young to demand a trade ? Most teams would love Young , for sure, but unless the Rangers are inept, they'd have to get fair value in a trade, which means trading a key player of their own. You never know with trades though.

I was surprised to hear about the Michael "Mr. Ranger" Young thing too...

Hopefully Tom will weigh in--it reminds of the Jeter conversation we had a few months back (ie whether he should move positions).

By my eye(and admittedly I dont see the Rangers very often) his range is declining at short. It might be the right thing in a defensive sense to move him but dealing with it sure has created a giant can of worms.....

Congrats to Big Jim Rice, joining the near unbroken line of Sox Leftfielders in the Hall going back to the 30's Ted Williams and Yaz......and Manny will be sure to follow someday.

I agree he was on the cusp but there was about a 12 year period (pre steroids) when he was one of the most feared hitters in the AL consistantly putting up big numbers for that era

t's a good thing... and about time... isn't it? at least I think so but I've never looked at his numbers in comparison to others...

Heres Rice compared with some HOFers

Jim Rice: 2,452 hits, 382HR, .298 avg, .502 slg, 8 100+ RBI years, 7 25+ HR years

Billy Williams: 2,711 hits, 426HR, .290 avg, .492 slg, 3 100+ RBI years, 9 25+ HR years

Goose Goslin: 2,735 hits, 248HR, .316 avg, .500 slg, 11 100+ RBI years, 1 25+ HR years

Orlando Cepeda: 2,351 hits, 379HR, .297 avg, .499 slg, 5 100+ RBI years, 8 25+ HR years

all of which seems pretty comparable

Edited by mstar1

I just finished watching the press conferencewith John Smoltz

I am loving that signing--- :)

Adding Smoltz and Penny to an already good pitching staff? Ay Carumba...

potential starters--- Beckett, Lester, DiceK, Smoltz, Penny, Wakefield, Buccholz, Masterson, Bowden, Bard

I think that ought to be enough for the long haul

plus The bullpen is looking really really deep..

enough of this freezin my kazongas off--lets play some baseball already

Edited by mstar1

well then now you guys can come off of a couple of those pitchers in a deal for Salty... we'll even throw in a Shamwow!

they went to Young trying to better THE TEAM... I don't think anyone expected his reaction and today he rescinded his demand and agreed to the move... I don't know if it was because of all of the negatives that were tossed out by about every "baseball man" that was questioned but it was really out of character for him and took a lot of us homers by surprise...

the whole idea behind it is that Elvis Andrus is either ready or almost ready to make the jump and having his bat and glove on the team would make it stronger... the reactions I heard from the 'baseball men' was almost all of them talked about how Young is very well compensated ($16m/yr starting this season for 5 yrs) and the stRangers want to do something to improve the team... they're not even sure if Andrus is ready for the jump, spring will give them a better indication, but they do think it will be at least by the break and this was the time to approach Young rather than in the middle of the season.

Cooler heads prevailed, maybe El Presidente talked to him... but I'm glad he's still around.

Now... starman... tell Theo that we'll give him Salty and Blalock and a shamwow for a couple of your young hurlers...

O buzz off Rock --25 frikking Below zero last night--nasty..painful, pipe burstin cold..the only way to be outside is to dress like Nanook of the north..at least the good news is that ST is within sight...

and we'll have to see Tom--Im still holding out for Teagarden -....(and 4 shamwows)--- theres a little buzz about Salty from time to time, but the Sox picked up Josh Bard, an everyday guy who calls a good game and had a better year at the plate than Varitek so he may do for now...especially with that pitching staff.

'Tek and Pudge Rodriguez are still both unsigned, I dont know why there doesnt seem to be a market for catchers this offseason but I think the price is bound to go down as we get closer to spring training---I see the Dodgers are cutting loose Andruw --maybe saving their $$ for Manny??

Edited by mstar1

I set the DVR so I'll be catching those shows later this week

meanwhile --since its the middle of winter and theres not much to keep me occupied--Here is my new favorite baseball fight video--does anyone know wth is goin on? Im not up on my Korean customs---but I sure like 'em--- :biglaugh:

Edited by mstar1

what the ...?

The only sense, if you can call it that, I can make out if it is that they somehow got everyone to agree to do that foot grab and dance before fights break out, in hopes that the ridiculousness of it will defuse the situation.

I suggest MLB follow suit, though I don't think Prince Fielder can reach his foot.

Another week and no Manny. Would someone please put me in charge of the Dodgers for one hour.

Another week and no Manny. Would someone please put me in charge of the Dodgers for one hour.

I'd love to--I just read something that rated Ned Colletti dead last as a GM....It shows.... they need to replace him and soon...

It certainly looks like a no-brainer from here that Manny was built for the Dodgers.....

do yourselves a favor and set "Inside the Moments" on your DVR... also watch or record "Epic Moments"

...IF you get MLBTV

both are very good

we're closer to opening day than we were yesterday...

Well, I FINALLY got an HD DVR (free from Dish Network... for two more years' committment)... but Dish doesn't yet carry the MLB channel.

I just learned John Updike died. Maybe I should post this in the In Memoriam thread, I know he was a great writer of novels and essays but I will always remember him best for his famous essay, "Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu", It is his first-hand account of Ted Williams' last game as a Red Sox one of the first real baseball essays i read and one that sticks with me still

FULL ESSAY IS HERE

I still get a chill down my spine and a tear in my eye when I read his account of the last at-bat...

Like a feather caught in a vortex, Williams ran around the square of bases at the center of our beseeching screaming. He ran as he always ran out home runs—hurriedly, unsmiling, head down, as if our praise were a storm of rain to get out of. He didn't tip his cap. Though we thumped, wept, and chanted "We want Ted" for minutes after he hid in the dugout, he did not come back. Our noise for some seconds passed beyond excitement into a kind of immense open anguish, a wailing, a cry to be saved. But immortality is nontransferable. The papers said that the other players, and even the umpires on the field, begged him to come out and acknowledge us in some way, but he never had and did not now.

Gods do not answer letters.

Good Stuff

I just learned John Updike died. Maybe I should post this in the In Memoriam thread, I know he was a great writer of novels and essays but I will always remember him best for his famous essay, "Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu", It is his first-hand account of Ted Williams' last game as a Red Sox one of the first real baseball essays i read and one that sticks with me still

FULL ESSAY IS HERE

I still get a chill down my spine and a tear in my eye when I read his account of the last at-bat...

Good Stuff

Very cool. Thanks Mstar!

Its a good read-- I love the wording about Fenway

Fenway Park, in Boston, is a lyric little bandbox of a ballpark. Everything is painted green and seems in curiously sharp focus, like the inside of an old-fashioned peeping-type Easter egg. It was built in 1912 and rebuilt in 1934, and offers, as do most Boston artifacts, a compromise between Man's Euclidean determinations and Nature's beguiling irregularities.

great writing-I couldnt have said it better-I dont know many who could

anyway--

Its good to see Cards fans were hard at work during the snowstorm yesterday----

cubssuck.jpg

EDIT: I dont know why my picture wont post--its supposed to be THIS ONE

:biglaugh:

opening day must be getting close

Edited by mstar1

Yea if anyone should get it it should be him--although Im surprised that it didnt make the move to the new place.

I caught the video of various staff people carrying the World Series trophies across the street a few days ago.. as far as I saw no one slipped on the ice (which has been brutal on us Northerners--I kerplunked on my arse --myself yesterday).

Sox re-signed Varitek today--so unless he has a bounce back year I'll have a year of great gamecalling and and also a year of groans watching him coming to the plate and curses watching him miss a fastball by 18" with men on base.

I might have to install protective glass in front of my TV to protect it from hurled objects

It all depends on what you want Tom...I dont think you're going to get Buchholz or Bowden for Salty--plus with Tek signed we have a little more breathing room, a year to work it out (if necessary) and right now you need immediate pitching more than we need immediate catching.

I think it gives us a leverage point

Im still holding out for Teagarden by the trade deadline

besides---you still owe us a favor for Gagne

Edited by mstar1