GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I never associated Sox fans with republicans either (at least until this trip where I was among a large group of big Sarah Palin fans -they loved her because she kills moose and is against abortion-and were big Sox fans).

Hey, Yankee fans are forever being accused of one thing or another-I 'm only relating the weird week I had. I know mstar and geisha aren't republicans.

I never associated Sox fans with republicans either (at least until this trip where I was among a large group of big Sarah Palin fans -they loved her because she kills moose and is against abortion-and were big Sox fans).

Hey, Yankee fans are forever being accused of one thing or another-I 'm only relating the weird week I had. I know mstar and geisha aren't republicans.

I think both Mstar and I are registered Independents--which is pretty common here.

Dare I say it. . . .Red Sox Nation is not just Massachusetts. . . it is New England. Maine, VT, NH, RI, and parts of CT--much like NJ is Yankee Territory. So, it could be that the part of CT you were in had Republican fans of the Sox.

We are legion! :)

Of course I'm being somewhat facetious. I happened to be around a lot of red necks last week.

This is starting to read like a Sox fan site though, so I'm just pulling your leg a bit.

I know you're legion. Yankee fans are legion also-so are Dodger, Cubs, Cardinal fans. I know you love to think you're 'special', though.

Of course I'm being somewhat facetious. I happened to be around a lot of red necks last week.

This is starting to read like a Sox fan site though, so I'm just pulling your leg a bit.

I know you're legion. Yankee fans are legion also-so are Dodger, Cubs, Cardinal fans. I know you love to think you're 'special', though.

I am special! Am to!! I live in Massachusetts and am a Red Sox fan. . . what else is there to it?

Now Hiway. . . . you facetious? Nope. . . I won't believe it.

I bet there are more Yankees fans here. . . . maybe hanging back for some reason?? :)

Two of us here does not a Red Sox majority make! Besides, when I talk baseball the only other team I really know much about is the Twins. I don't want to put you all to sleep now do I?

Every once in awhile I pop in to add something or something really catches my interest, but you guys are WAY more knowledgeable than me.

I love the insight here---even when it isn't about Boston. I can't understand WHY it isn't about Boston though! :)

Hope you had fun on your trip. . . you didn't come say Hi? Maybe next time. . . meet you at the border! I don't think they let you in if you are a Yankees fan??

Actually, I agree that you're special-whatever baseball team you love.

I grew up on the 'Mason-Dixon line' in Ct between Yankee and Red Sox fans. It's obvious what side of the line I was on, but as I've said often in here, I always liked the Sox too. Rooted for them in the'67, '75' and '86 series, even.

Now that I've got some sleep, I'm not so grouchy. It would be nice to hear from the Ranger, Indians, and other fans discuss their teams to balance out the Sox talk once in awhile.

Now that I've got some sleep, I'm not so grouchy. It would be nice to hear from the Ranger, Indians, and other fans discuss their teams to balance out the Sox talk once in awhile.

Even if we Tribe fans talk about how we bugged the Yankees before blowing it against the Sox last year?

I think CC wants to stay on the west coast, and am not optimistic about the Yankees getting him.

You don't even like Jeter ? I guess there's reasons to dislike anyone if you dig deep enough, but Derek's been nothing but good for the game in my opinion.

Okay, so who can afford him on the West Coast? Only the Angels if they get rid of Teixeira right? The only other teams who can afford him are the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox(Who have enough pitching) Cubs, and the Tigers are trying to dump everybody. . . If CC gets his 150mil first then the price for Burnett and the rest goes way up.

Is the only reason you are not optimistic is because he wants to stay on the West Coast? Just curious.

Once CC is signed than everyone else will start going quickly before the coffers are empty.

Some teams will have to dump two or three salaries just to be in the running for him. The Red Sox have basically signed this kid from Japan--the Yankees may increase their offer even though they are claiming they won't---with Mussina retiring and Petite leaning towards Huston again.

I think he may go to the Yankees?? With no effort being made to resign Giambi and Swisher being able to cover first as well as outfield. . . money is freed up.

CC has also said he wants to stay in the NL, although Angels money could change that. That's the main reason I don't think the Yankees will get him.

The Dodgers can afford him, though they won't want to pay for him-unless they decide they will.

Honestly, the money is so huge I have no idea what will happen.

NEW YORK (AP)—Career steals leader Rickey Henderson heads 10 first-time candidates on this year’s Hall of Fame ballot, joining holdovers Mark McGwire and Jim Rice—eligible for the final time.

Other newcomers are Jay Bell, David Cone, Ron Gant, Mark Grace, Jesse Orosco, Dan Plesac, Greg Vaughn, Mo Vaughn and Matt Williams.

Just 23 players are on the ballot, the smallest group ever. Holdovers include Harold Baines, Bert Blyleven, Andre Dawson. Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Tim Raines, Lee Smith and Alan Trammell.

A 10-time All-Star who played from 1979-2003, Henderson holds the career records for steals (1,406) and runs (2,295), and his 2,190 walks are second to Barry Bonds’ 2,558. Henderson also is first in caught stealing with 335.

Henderson played for nine teams, winning the 1990 AL MVP award with Oakland.

----------

So, will anyone make it in this year besides Ricky?

Probably not, though strong cases can be made for Tim Raines, Dale Murphy, Tommy John, and really most of the 'holdovers' listed.You could easily pick a personal favorite from the list and who's to say they'd be wrong ?

I always thought Don Mattingly would be a shoo-in, but the bad back brought him down too soon.

I think CC wants to stay on the west coast, and am not optimistic about the Yankees getting him.

You don't even like Jeter ? I guess there's reasons to dislike anyone if you dig deep enough, but Derek's been nothing but good for the game in my opinion.

Ever since you moaned about maybe being the lone Yankee fan around, plus my reply, you should know that my yankee hating talk should all be taken with a few grains of salt. :) As a special bonus, here is an essay written a while back about Jeter by a senior research meteorologist, Chuck Doswell.

Why a Yankee Hater Loves Derek Jeter

by

Chuck Doswell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 26 September 2005 Updated: whenever

This is my normal expression of opinion - nothing more, nothing less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask anyone who grew up in Chicago. We hate the Yankees with an undying hatred, a purple passion. In fact, if all New York sports teams lose every game from now until eternity, we still won't feel the score is settled. Fine. Now that you know where I stand, let me comment on Derek Jeter and why I think so much of him.

I watched "60 Minutes" last night, where Derek Jeter was the subject of one of their segments, with Ed Bradley doing the honors. I was expecting something different than what he turned out to be. Derek is the son of an African-American father, and and Irish-American mother. There are those who scorn such children because those with that attitude are simply racist idiots - something of a redundancy, that. May children like Derek Jeter help put the .... of racism to rest. May we all live to see an age where such irrelevancies are no longer something even worth mentioning. Derek Jeter's a man any parent should be proud of, beyond question. The more such childern exist, the better, in my book. Let the fallacies of racism die as soon as possible in the face of contrary evidence.

Derek Jeter was clearly portrayed sympathetically on the show. I don't know him and I don't know the extent to which the interview was representative of him as a real person. But what I saw makes me proud to be a member of the human race, and that doesn't happen every day, unfortunately.

First of all, he's an articulate, intelligent sports hero who apparently had a father who instilled some really important values. He doesn't do steroids, he isn't a crackhead, and has tried all his life to live up to the expectations laid on him by a caring father. Not every young man responds equally well to the lessons such a father tries to convey to his son. It says a lot about the man. Derek Jeter respected his father and his father deserved that respect, because he gave his son a sense of responsibility. In fact, his father deserves respect because he was there, living up to his responsibilities as a father, and didn't abandon his children. Sadly, it seems that many fathers have failed their sons even in this most basic sense. I admire Derek Jeter's father, as well as Derek.

Furthermore, Derek Jeter is apparently not so impressed with himself and his achievements as an athlete to be unwilling to accommodate his many fans, of all races and creeds. He signs autographs, poses for pictures, and cheerfully puts up with not having a private life. Most people can't begin to appreciate what he puts up with, and he does it with obvious gratitude for the support he receives from his fans. He's not some spoiled multimillionare jock, with an ego to match his paycheck. Again, Derek Jeter breaks the stereotype.

By being the child of an interracial marrage, he's evidently been the subject ot ignorant taunts and heckling all his life. It would be easy for such a man to be bitter about his lot in life as a result of his heritage. Instead, Derek Jeter is simply a man, and seems impervious to the racist nonsense he undoubtedly has to deal with on a regular basis. I admire the man for his attitude. He's focused on being the best athlete he can be. Winning in a team sport depends on him supporting his teammates, including Jason Giambi, the admitted stereoid user. Why? Because, he says, Giambi supports his teammates, and so deserves their support in turn. I place a big premium on loyalty, and Derek Jeter scores high in my book.

He's a man to be admired, in a sport that is wracked by scandal and various forms of bad behavior by athletes who are privileged to be playing a kid's game for a king's salary. Derek Jeter exemplifiies what we desperately want our heroes to be - he actually is a role model for our own children. He's a Yankee that I'm willing to cheer for, and that says a lot. I hope his team loses, but I hope he goes 4 for 4, with 6 RBIs and hits for the cycle. We Americans search almost desperately for heroes among the athletes we support, but usually get something far less. Derek Jeter is a man. The man, in my book, despite my being a diehard Yankee hater.

Derek Jeter is a class act. I'll even cheer for him when he comes to bat against the White Sox or Cubs. Imagine what we all could do if we could overcome our stupid, irrational prejudices. Derek Jeter has shown us the way. Can we not follow his example?

Edited by Lifted Up

Holdovers include Harold Baines, Bert Blyleven, Andre Dawson. Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Tim Raines, Lee Smith and Alan Trammell.

Poor nice guy Dale. He got plenty of exposure in the '80s when TBS came of age with all their braves games, but he wasn't flashy enough I guess.

there are alot of good names on that list--Blyleven seemed to always be winning about17-18 games if I remember correctly.

One question about Jeter that I have never had answered is that his full name is Derek Sanderson Jeter..Ive always wondered if "Sanderson" was some family name or if he was named after the BOSTON Bruins legend from the 70's Derek Sanderson.

Ive never seen that addressed anywhere--Sanderson was a great defensive center and star for the Bruins so if Jeters parents were hockey fans its plausible--but he was also turned out to be a drug addict, who lost everything and became homeless before being rescued by Bobby Orr and other former teammates--Great player--didnt really turn out to be agreat role model though

just curious

I gotta again give applause to Dustin Pedroia--since when has the best player in the league ever signed a 6 year contract for 40 million.

Will this be the beginning of a return to reason?

He could have leveraged his position for a helluva lot more money over those years

Clearly, Dustin Pedroia could have held out for more. Maybe he should have. But in an age when professional athletes are criticized for making decisions based solely on money, we cannot possibly pass judgment on a deal that seems, in a word, reasonable.

Or on a man who has made a career out of defying popular belief.

Pedroia's captivating story just got better today, folks, the Red Sox' spunky second baseman agreeing to a six-year contract worth a guaranteed $40.5 million. Should the Red Sox exercise a club option for 2015, the deal would be worth $51 million over seven seasons. All of that ensures that Pedroia will remain in Boston for the foreseeable future, that the Red Sox just locked up a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger award(s)-winning second baseman who just happens to be the reigning American League Most Valuable Player.

During the length of the deal, depending on whether the option is exercised, Pedroia will earn an average of between $6.75 million and $7.3 million per season -- let’s call it $7 million a year for simplicity’s sake -- which seems like an extremely team-friendly number for one of the very best players in the game.

Pedroia for $7 million a year?

Sign us up.

"It’s something we’re thrilled about. It’s definitely something we wanted as a club and Dustin wanted as well,’’ said Sox general manager Theo Epstein. "He really embodies just about everything we look for in Red Sox players."

Unselfishness, for starters....

... in the real world, $40 million is a lot of dough.

"I understand all that stuff," Pedroia said when asked about giving up some of his long-term leverage. "I knew if I had gone year to year I would have made more money. I understand that without a doubt. But I’m in a place where they treat me and my family unbelievable. I’m happy with this.

"I want to be here. I want to play for the Red Sox," Pedroia added. "I don’t want to play for anybody else. It seemed right to do something."...

Naturally, the question here is whether Pedroia deserved to be on the high end, though we all know Pedroia’s makeup and personality by now. Quite simply, he doesn’t give a damn, which is how he arrived here in the first place. Two years ago, many of us wondered whether Pedroia should be mentioned in the same breath as Mike Benjamin. Today, we’re putting his name up for comparison with Utley. Through it all, Pedroia has continued to act like only Dustin Pedroia, operating with the kind of genuine self-assuredness that we should all be so lucky to possess.

We know this deal is good for the Red Sox. And if the deal is good enough for Pedroia, too, it should be good enough for us.

As Pedroia would be the first to tell you, who cares what anybody else thinks?

We've had Dustin on the radar for 2 plus years now, its sooo refreshing to see someone who gets it on just about every level, how you play the game, why you play the game ...and that 7 mil a year is enough for anybody

Four consecutive Cy Youngs, seven seasons in a row in the top 5 in voting, nine times in the top 5, 17 Gold Gloves, the 2nd and 3rd best single season ERA+'s since the Dead Ball Era.

I've kinda forgotten how good he was but looking back at his stats they just seem incredible. He slowed a little the past few years but he could still probably be a pretty good number 4 on most teams.

If anyone should get 100% of a vote on the first ballot its him...

A story that was circulating a few years ago was that Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz would all hang it up the same year, in an effort to go into the Hall of Fame together. The last I had heard was that Smoltz was going to give it a go next season, not wanting to end his career by injury, and that Glavine was leaning that way as well.

If Maddux retires this season, that would put the kibosh on the "ride off into the golden sunset together" plan for the Braves old Big Three. Not a big deal one way or the other, but it would have made a pretty cool tidbit to see them all go into the Hall in one class, as they will forever be associated.

Maddux' stat page at baseball Reference

Edited by mstar1

Good to see you Dr Strange!

There has been an entire mini industry revolving around "The Texas Catchers" in these parts since the close of the season....Its spread out to a lot of others since then --but seems to always come back to either Salty or Teagarden---Of course at this point everything is only rumors...and right now the rumor is that the asking price is too high (two young arms - Either Masterson or Bowden and Buchholz) ....but the winter meetings are coming up and Im sure both Theo and Daniels would like to come home from those meetings with something to look like Santa Claus to the hometown fans

Im sure both Theo and Daniels would like to come home from those meetings with something to look like Santa Claus to the hometown fans

lessee....what would be a good gift for the fans??? Cutting ticket prices??? :)

P.S. I remember this franchise eons ago, as the Washington Senators, having the highest ticket prices in the AL. That isn't the case now, is it?

Edited by Lifted Up