GreaseSpot Cafe

Lining up for the evening teaching at the AC

Steve!

At the AdvanceDUH (as John L*nn would say it) Class in Empooria in 1984, before every evening teaching we would line up in twigs, and sing some stupid song on our way in, military style.

Ours was always a variation of the doo wah diddy diddy dum diddy doo song. Others did songs along the lines of the "I don't know but it's been said . . ." song.

I always found that revolting.

Of course, YMMV. Some of you may have liked it, and I certainly don't hold it against you.

To me it just seemed so . . . I don't know, common.

Does anyone else remember doing that?

I was in AC '79, and then again (for AC grads in Minnesota) in '81. No singing, or lining up was the order of *the day* back then.

Duk* Clark ran the '81 class, and he was pretty laid back about the whole thing. But -- at AC '79 -- we did have to listen to "Beautiful Ohio" each morning on our early morning march to the auditorium.

I mighta left then and there, if we were required to stand in line, and sing it! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Originally posted by coolchef1248@adelphia.net:

i took the advaneduh class in gunnison it the 80"s wasn't able to sleep with my wife for 2 weeks even though we celerbrated our 10th anniversary there. thank god there were plenty of woods around

but i always wooried about the snakes...reptile and human!

Coolchef -- ROFLMAO!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

hi one of the staffers was kind enough {remember these were the kinder genteler days] to lend us his 2x4 camper for the night of our anniversary so we could drink a smuggled in bottle of bubbly and bless each other.the day after that vp and troope show up and while walking bact to the vip chlet with him for a beer {yes we were invited, they thought i had potential}vp is caressind my wifes foot! i wonder if she was blessed that night.remember we had different housing!

redz, that's uncalled for.

From time to time I remember things, and I am interested in finding out if others remember those events the same way, or had similar impressions of them.

You've never reminisced at a high school reunion, or when you're with your extended family, about events from your younger years?

We never sang at my AC, Steve! In fact, a group of people were sitting around the lobby during one of the breaks and they were all singing together and sounded absolutely wonderful! It was spontaneous and uplifting and a joy for everyone around.

Sadly, they were told to stop and harshly reproved in front of the entire class during one of the meals. icon_frown.gif:(--> It pretty much dampened the spirit of the whole class and reinforced how legalistic TWI had become. How dare we have fun on our own and without some rules and micro-management of some leadership?

quote:
Originally posted by dmiller:

But -- at AC '79 -- we did have to listen to "Beautiful Ohio" each morning on our early morning march to the auditorium.

I mighta left then and there, if we were required to stand in line, and sing it! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I was there, too, Dave. Though we weren't required to, most of my "branch" wound up singing "Good Morning, Lord" which, as I recall, followed "Beautiful Ohio" every morning. It's amazing how you can learn to hate even the nicest songs if you hear them over and over and over and over....

George

Steve! - I may have been the inadvertant cause of your discomfort at AC '84. I was taking it then for the first time, too, but they made me a twig coordinator. My twig was living in Uncle Harry Hall.

Many of us were military veterans, so we decided it would be fun to march up to the class sessions, and chant along the way. Soon, other twigs were imitating us.

It wasn't any official part of the class. It was just some spontaneous fun, veteran style. I don't know if TWI made it a part of the AC after '84, but I think it would have been stupid if they did.

Please accept my humble apologies!

Love,

Steve

OLG Extraordinaire of the United States By Popular Acclaim

Edited by Steve Lortz

• 3 weeks later...