GreaseSpot Cafe

now I'm pissed

Abigail

We have two new puters, running XP Home on both. and both are up to date with Windows updates. The upstairs puter is running through a router, has Norton's 2005 which includes a firewall, and the new microsoft anti-spyware program on it. I have blocked certain known tracking cookies through the Norton's firewall. Yet they are still coming up when I run Adaware. We had 14 tonight.

Computer downstairs is running on a wireless adaptor, has Norton's 2005 and the new Microsoft antispyware and I just took a hijacker off of it!!!

How many more programs do I have to run to keep these machines clean???????

Oh yeah and this really really has me confused. After I downloaded the Microsoft anti-spyware program I ran it and it came up clean. I ran it a few hours later and it came up with the hijacker. NOTHING had been downloaded in between so how did a hijacker get there?

The only think I can come up with is that when I downloaded shockwave yesterday for the kids games, it also installed that damned weather bug. I saw it as soon as it happened, uninstalled it and deleted it. It hasn't come back up on spybot, adware, the microsoft spyware, or Yahoo's spyware, so I thought it was gone. Did I miss something?

Abi I have lots of junk on this one too every day.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that in addition to the internet becoming a minefield.....this spyware may be set to count every little thing.

Your hijacker isn't little...I was talking about the cookies and junk we get every single day.

I*'m ....ed about it too.

That's why I won't download Shockwave, either.

Other than the fact that you're using Norton, I'm not sure why you're getting

so many tracking cookies.

*thinks*

I'd recommend considering switching to Firefox, since I get a LOT less

tracking cookies since I switched.

You might check your security protocols, and how you've told your computer

to respond to cookies and sites and things. (Under Tools-->Internet Options,

I think.) Set the security rating higher if it's on "low".)

I think kid-sites may be cookie-intensive, since cookies can make intrasite

navigation easier. That may not mean they meant to spy on your kids.

The Wolf speaks truth. Go HERE

for immediate Mozilla relief. You'll be much happier, it's easy to get used to a new browser and your PC will no longer seem like a flea infestation has taken over. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I use the MS antispyware, as well as AD Adware SE Personal, and a program called MRU Blaster, which has a very effective set of plug ins that clean internet cache files and cookies. These are all free programs. My cable modem has a firewall setup and I run McAfee. I've been pretty pest free since I switched out of IE, and run these regularly.

But for the everyday average mom & pop user who are non-technical and do not care to be it gets difficult. You who are in the computer industry take note of what is happening even from our little forum here.

Computers all across the world are getting fuczed up by spyware. Everyone focuses on Spam and its problem what with more than half all emails being Spam now.

But spyware is just as bad and in my opinion worse than the Spam problem or virus problem.

Just last week I was at a buddy's place and he had hundreds of what he called viruses on his Pentium 4, 3.0processor with 512MB ram and a fast hard drive and graphics. His computer was like an old Pentium II. Slow as molasses.

NONE were viruses. It was all spam yet he had Norton AV and a router. Using every tool I knew and some other little tricks I still did not get rid of it all. A couple of things were still in MSCONFIG even after deleting all related registry keys! And one stubborn *.exe could not be deleted because it was "in use."

I finally got the most vicious ones by booting into safe mode and MANUALLY deleting the offenders. This took 2 hours.

His computer was clean and performance was back to nornal. But I'll bet there are still dozens of empty (harmless)registry folders left behind on the baattlefield. What a mess.

Now what average everyday user would have a clue? It is complicated for them and very frustrating. I think they would rather just go watch TV where it is safe. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I am not being negative here, but I am being a little negative here. icon_frown.gif:(--> I see some real problems ahead and some real changes are going to have to be made somehow. This crap is on almost every computer I sit down at. I am glad I am not a technician or it would get tiresome.

Anyway, Abi, try booting into safe mode and using your tools while in safe mode. Also unplug yourself from the Internet until you get rid of it all.

Start by removing anything you are suspect of from ADD Remove Programs. Then uncheck things that are not needed in MSCONFIG. Then use your tools.

Beyond that it gets into registry deletions, etc. And be sure to Immunize. Take preventive measures that will put thousands of known spyware sites into your restricted sites zone in your browser so that you can't be affected by them in the forst place.

Abi,

If it is any consolation, I was working at a college in September. Specifically, we were helping students clean up their machines.

One girl brought in a computer that she had just bought. I literally unsealed the box and installed anti-virus and spyware checkers. I ran both for the heck of it and the spyware checker founds about TEN problems. I did some research and found that that is very common. Computer companies put in "free software trials" that actually have trackers in them.

Oh, that is classic. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->m PAW. I have seen a person get a virus almost as soon as he got on a cable modem.

I think they need to teach classes on "Spyware 101. But I bet some of the attendees would be spyware inventors and hackers so they can learn how to be more clever. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

By the way, what do spyware inventors hope to gain by infecting someone. None of it seems profitable really. I mean do they make money off it? It almost seems as if its done with a virus-like goal in mind to just mess people up.

I'm glad you said that Paw - I suspected it!

I installed SpyBot before linking this one to the 'net, but I didn't run it...I never figured!

I don't know why, but I'm not all that upset about cookies. I don't think they're so terrible...and if it makes certain web sites better, maybe the owner is "entitled" to that feedback. It's the other stuff I don't appreciate!

quote:
Originally posted by igotout:

By the way, what do spyware inventors hope to gain by infecting someone. None of it seems profitable really. I mean do they make money off it? It almost seems as if its done with a virus-like goal in mind to just mess people up.

Many virus and spyware writers do it because they are ....ed off at the number of people on the internet. They want their revenge.

Twisted, isn't it?

Paw is right about the spyware, even on 'NEW' never hooked up to the internet computers.

I know for a fact that Windows 98 SE has spyware in it before u even download it off of the CD disk (microsoft puts a spyware tracker right into the IE explorer, or the company that puts it together for them does it) and i wouldn't doubt that it's in all of Microsofts Windows programs.

I would bet that very few companies do put spyware in thier software.

Kazza is one program that i know is notorious for major spyware, or at least it used to be. I downloaded a copy ot it a couple or 3 years ago to download a couple of hard to find songs. That was back when i had an early version of ad-aware. Talk about spyware. i ran ad-aware and it picked up at least 40 to 50 pieces of spyware for about 30 to 40 minutes of online time.

Abi,

We had norton and it made our computer worse. In fact, after time our computer went down.

We had to start all over again and no way would I ever get norton again. We have McAfee and it works great!!!! We are very happy with it.

Hi Paw, yeah I do scans in safe mode when necessary. Thankfully we haven't found anything more than a couple of minor tracking cookies since that first day we got them up and running. icon_smile.gif:)--> Those too are becoming less of a problem as I adjust my firewall to block the specific ones which come up.

Thanks everyone.