GreaseSpot Cafe

The Pope is Gone (formerly last rites thread)

Raf

The Pope was given his last rites this afternoon (American time).

quote:
The sacrament does not necessarily mean that the pope is dying. Last rites -- also known as the sacrament of the sick or extreme unction -- are commonly given to people who are seriously ill as well. The pope received the sacrament after he was shot by a would-be assassin in 1981.

CNN

Edited by Raf

There was an apparently incorrect report earlier that he had died. I started a thread, and Paw was kind enough to delete it at my request. I apologize for spreading the false alarm.

quote:
Drudge: Italian media gave contradictory reports about Pope John Paul's vital signs on Friday, first saying his heart and brain activity had stopped and then reporting this was not true...

quote:
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope John Paul's health worsened further on Friday when his breathing became shallow and his blood pressure deteriorated, said the Vatican, and one Italian news agency reported he had lost consciousness.

Church officials tried to prepare the world and its 1.1 billion Roman Catholics for the end of one of the longest papal reigns in history after the Vatican said the long-ailing Pope had declined further hospital treatment.

"The general conditions and cardio-respiratory conditions of the Holy Father have further worsened," said Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls.

"A gradual worsening of arterial hypotension has been noted, and breathing has become shallow. The clinical picture indicates cardio-circulatory and renal insufficiency. The biological parameters are notably compromised."

Sky Italia TV, quoting a report from Italy's Aplomb news agency, said the Pope had lost consciousness but there was no independent confirmation. "There's no hope any more," the ANSA news agency quoted an unidentified medical source as saying.

The 84-year-old Pope received the blessing for the dying after his health suddenly deteriorated overnight, drawing anguished prayers from Catholics around the globe reluctant to accept his end may be near.

"The Holy Father -- with visible participation -- is joining in the continual prayers of those assisting him," said Navarro-Valls.

Catholics flocked to churches to light candles and pray for the man who became Pope in 1978 and revitalised the papacy. Groups of faithful gathered in the Vatican's vast St. Peter's Square, some gazing up at the papal apartments.

None.

Best thing to do is check every report and what their sources are. I failed to do that this time, figuring no one would blunder on something this big. Me! And I'm in Florida! smile.gif:)-->

Raf,

I would really... really like access to the kinds of news sources you have at the tips of your fingers.. but seems one must be a paid subscriber first. Even getting the latest AP can be a challenge.

And FYI, just before I posted on the now deleted thread, Fox on-line had not yet reported El Papa's demise.

sudo

While I mourn for his loss and appreciate the many significant strides he made, not only for the Catholic Church but for mankind as well, I have to temper that with firsthand knowledge of the cruel history his sect represents.

Karol Joseph , you had a good run and I believe you have a place in God's heart

Salve Regina, mater misericordiae: vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve. Ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevae. Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes in hac lacrimarum valle. Eia, ergo, advocata nostra, illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte. Et Iesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui, nobis post hoc exsilium ostende.

O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria. Amen.

Ora pro nobis, sancta Dei Genetrix.

Ut digni efficiamur promissionibus Christi.

Requiescat in pace Papa

The nuns were ordered not to pray for his recovery.

it is assumed he will die now, I watch the priests this morning saying he is "tranquil" .

How can I be ordred to pray for a peaceful death?

man that is strange to me, but it as the church dictates.

mj, I understand requesting prayer for a peaceful death. That's exactly what's needed sometimes.

When my aunt, who had cancer, reached the point where she was in great physical pain and mental distress, that's exactly what my family and I began praying for her. She was suffering and she was ready. Within a couple hours, she slipped peacefully away.

mj, it is kind of strange to think of it, right now, but it is hardly a surprise. And its not like they haven't had to go through this before, once or twice. With 263 pontiffs preceding him (out of a total of 266, if you subscribe to the writings of St. Malachy) they probably have a very refined process by now.

Edited by markomalley