GreaseSpot Cafe

You Can't Leave

Belle

quote:
Cripe- even with the little pains in life, life is still so much better outside of that flea trap.

Amen, brother!

Someone posted something about not even being able to take a vacation - Heck, never mind that - I remember having to fill out a frekkin' form when I wanted to visit my mother in the next state, 90 mins away! If I left for a day it seemed like everyone wanted to know about it and upper leadership had to "approve" it - and I was almost 30!

HCW - I hear you about those "company men" who just wanted to climb the ladder. It seemed to me that some of the ones who were busy jockeying for a better leadership position were people who would always be "ZEROES" in the "real world" - the only place they would ever have a title or respect (even if it came from spineless yes-men) was in TWI. They were the ones that made me watch my back every moment - they would do almost anything to get ahead or to look good - real psychopaths.

However, when I was on staff there weren't people really looking to fill your shoes - this was in the late 90's. Guess things had changed, huh? I remember one couple telling me that they thought we were crazy to go and that we should reconsider because they had been and found it to be a snake pit. (They were right - wish I could thank them but they're still IN!)

I thought about this thread some more today and about my experience leaving - interesting thing I remembered was that when I made that last call to leadership to say I wasn't going to twig that night - or ever again! - They told me to take a "LOA" (leave of absence) and think about it. He was very cool about it and said he understood where I was coming from. He knew I was fed up with things - hell, I felt he was honestly sympathetic to my situation and cared! It was refreshing!!! (But not refreshing enough to keep me there...) I was invited to come back, if I wanted to (but call first to talk, okay?) - I was, in fact, given an open door to go in or out of, as I choose. I respected that.

I probably couldn't have asked for a more dignified way to exit, although I'm sure my name was mud somewhere sometime after that because of how gross the majority of the leadership in that area was. There was, however, the bright spot of that TC who I was on the phone with that night... I tip my glass to him!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Was LCM hired as CEO of Bally's?

Not to derail the thread or cause Belle to get another gray hair becuase of my being a bad girl, but...

LCM was hired as a trainer - not a CEO.

Interesting, because he said many times in meetings that he didn't have to be the president of TWI, he could have been running any corporation anywhere - he had the ability to do it.

(What he didn't fully disclose was that he'd be running it INTO THE GROUND!)

My point exactly ChasU.

Even if LCM did have the ability (which was just him being delusional) he didn't have the RESUME. If you don't have an MBA you have a track record like a 'Donald Trump' and a reputation (um, a GREAT one) that preceedes you by a blue mile.

I'd be willing to bet he actually applied for some high level positions. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall watching him get the "Thank you for your interest in the position. We have chosen someone whose qualifications we feel a match for the opening. " letter.

Sorry for the derail!

quote:
I thought about this thread some more today and about my experience leaving - interesting thing I remembered was that when I made that last call to leadership to say I wasn't going to twig that night - or ever again! - They told me to take a "LOA" (leave of absence) and think about it. He was very cool about it and said he understood where I was coming from. He knew I was fed up with things - hell, I felt he was honestly sympathetic to my situation and cared! It was refreshing!!! (But not refreshing enough to keep me there...) I was invited to come back, if I wanted to (but call first to talk, okay?) - I was, in fact, given an open door to go in or out of, as I choose. I respected that.
Hey that sounds pretty good. Can't complain about that.

So why are the miserable folks staying in twi? Just my two cents worth, but I think they should be honest with themselves and with their spouses or whoever, and just leave.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

23_1_48.gif

HCW--we left about 5 years ago. When we made the final phone call to the limb guy--who was calling my DH at work so DH felt he had to call him-- one of the things we heard was the whole spiel about --what about your children? You'll be outside the Hedge of Protection!

Our kids are doing great. No brain tumors or Mack trucks.

Easier said than done, OM. Everything isn't as black and white as you seem to think it is. Some things are harder for some, also.

It's also hard to admit that you're miserable when you're deeply involved with a group that claims to help you live the more abundant life. Many people turn their entire lives over to those people and would literally be giving up everything if they left. Not exactly a nice predicament. Sometimes the misery of staying seems better than the misery of leaving.

Page 6, this thread, April 15m 2005, 9:13am Eastern.

quote:
Originally posted by Oldiesman:

So why are the miserable folks staying in twi?

Page 1, this thread, April 12, 2005, 4:56pm Eastern.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

OM, again, you are showing your inability to see and understand the intense manipulation and perversion that goes on in TWI even to this day!

There are many people who are still "in" because, like I did for five years, they are fighting for their family because they know what TWI does to families when someone wants to leave. This is something you know nothing about nor can you comprehend it because of your cold TWI-1 loving heart.

LCM may be gone, but his doctrines, teachings and threats are still in full force! I know. I can't tell you how I know, but I know they are still teaching these things.

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza.

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, a hole....

(For those wondering, there were a few pages of answers to this,

this actually being a DISCUSSION on that very subject.

Those of you who READ the thread know this.)

quote:
Someone posted something about not even being able to take a vacation - Heck, never mind that - I remember having to fill out a frekkin' form when I wanted to visit my mother in the next state, 90 mins away! If I left for a day it seemed like everyone wanted to know about it and upper leadership had to "approve" it - and I was almost 30!

Amazing- can't leave, can't even leave for a LITTLE WHILE without somebody's nose all the way up your rear..

I'm glad they didn't get the saddle that tight on me, but it was close to it..

Remember the old saying we were taught in twi, it went something like: "lead, follow, or get out of the way?"

It's pretty harsh, tough medicine but gets the point across.

Stop complaining.

No excuses.

If ya don't like it, leave.

Of course it's difficult and shocking to leave twi! We all went thru it here, right? So why should I expect anything less from those who are miserable there? Well I don't!

There are folks who will help you, if you tired of it and want to leave.

Come on, be strong, you won't regret it!

12_6_17.gif

quote:

easier said then done

for some it would be like they teach at twi,

all that hedge of protection stuff is believed,

it has brought some to the brink of suicide

I hope they all leave but it's complicated

for many. How deep they are into it and family.

And I suspect some think either it will change

or they can change it. This was my thoughts at

one point.

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

Stop complaining.

No excuses.

Of course it's difficult and shocking to leave twi! We all went thru it here, right? So why should I expect anything less from those who are miserable there? Well I don't!

There are folks who will help you, if you tired of it and want to leave.

We did not "all go thru it" because there were hundreds of different "it"s.

Some left during mass exoduses, and thus had a support network.

Some left with their families, and thus brought their nearest and dearest.

Some were in areas where they lived in the middle of nowhere and could drop off

the radar.

Some were in the military and twi couldn't pin them in place for a number of reasons.

For some out on the field, to leave will mean they can't work for their current

employer (they "work for believers"), they have to move immediately

(they "rent from believers"), and, having been isolated from everyone they know OUTSIDE

of twi, they're now isolated from everyone IN twi who are now saying horrible things

about them.

Yeah, go ahead, leave. You've been "living at a needs level" and thus have no

savings and your most expensive possession is a beat-up car that will die sooner or later.

But, buck up!

You have no friends, no contacts, no job, no place to live, and no money.

However, you have PLATITUDES!

===

Hiya folks!

You say you lost your job today?

You say it's 4am and your kids ain't come home from school yet?

You say your wife went out for a corned-beef sandwich last week,

and the corned-beef sandwich came back but she didn't?

You say your furniture's out all over the sidewalk 'cause you can't pay the rent?

And ya got chapped lips and paper-cuts,

and your feets all swollen up and blistered from pounding the pavement looking for work?

Is that what's troublin' you...fella?

*marching music*

Well, lift your head up high and take a walk in the sun with dignity and

stick-to-it-iveness and ya show the world, ya show the world where to get off.

You'll never give up, never give up, never give up....*music stops*..that ship!

Hey there, friend.

You say your radiators didn't work all winter,

and now that it's summer they've started up again and you can't turn it off?

You say your wide sent your lightweight suits to the cleaners,

and that means you'll have to wear your itchy tweeds this morning,

when they say it'll hit 106,

and ya gotta meet an important businessman in an hour, and your bridge just broke,

and you pasted it together with bubblegum

and ya hope it don't fall apart while you're doin' some fast-talkin' to this man.

and....

and your shoelace just busted

and you opened up a big cut on your cheek tryin' to even out your side-burns

and your daughter's going out with a convict

and your wife just confessed she gave your last $60 as a deposit on an airplane hanger?

Is that what's troublin' you...friend?

*marching music*

You'll never give up, never give up, never give up...*music stops*...that ship!

Hey there, cousin.

You say you can't pull your car out of the mud,

and you're in the middle of nowhere, and it's pouring rain,

and ya can't get the top back up, and your paycheck's all blurred,

and your foot went right thru the gaspedal,

and your girl's screaming bloody-murder she's scared of the dark,

and a stroke of lightning splits your motor in half,

and your suit's shrinking up fast,

and you start up the windy road in foot,

and 60 yards of barbed-wire hits you right smack in the face

and a wild animal comes over and runs away with your shoes

and your car blows up suddenly

and your windshield wiper ends up in yer mouth

and you can't move, and the mud's risin' up to yer nostrils,

and yer sinkin' fast,

and you don't hear yer girl screamin' any more?

Is that what's on yer mind....cousin?

*marching music*

You'll never give up, never give up, never give up..*music stops*..that ship!

And now,

this is the Old Philosopher saying,

So long, folks!

=====

As to people who are on grounds, their situation is detailed here

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/waydale/edit.../prisoners.html

(he said, posting it AGAIN on the same thread.)

Oldies - those words and $1.50 won't even get you a cuppa coffee these days...

Again, you're over simplifying things - people in a complex situation won't buy what you're selling. Leaving TWI these days involves a lot more than just "finding the door" for most. It means having to get a new job, move, get a divorce, be ready to fight for custody of your kids, having your name dragged thru the mud in a public setting (I had some LCs who were great at that - it was horrific to listen to because you wondered, "Shoot... Who's next?"). Those are just a FEW of the obsticles that could be in the way of current innies - never mind the lack of support they'd have on the outside because they've got little or no friends or family left to go to... Many have had to get professional counciling (as opposed to the unprofessional version we were offered in TWI)...

It's also hard to change -- people don't like to change even when they know it's the best for them - even when they're in an emotionally unhealthy enviroment. I'm sure it's a lot harder on those who have been in for a long time or have been in upper-leadership positions. They have to come to grips that it was wrong to remain in the organization...

I respectfully say this to you, and any others who may share your, "So-Just-Leave! What's-Wrong-With-You?" mentality -- How entrenched were you in the lifestyle that TWI leadership thought you should be leaving? How long and what years were you in? What Belle, myself and many others have said here is that "IT'S NOT THAT EASY - BUT - IT CAN BE DONE!"

Those of us who have recently been there have posted about it. Have you not read what we've written?

We're just trying to help you broaden your scope and view of what this is about Oldies...

You seem quite narrow minded on some of these things. You may not be-it seems that way though.

There are many stories and situations...

Many are very different...

quote:
How entrenched were you in the lifestyle that TWI leadership thought you should be leaving?
Forget about twi leadership and what they think. When I was in twi and the times I was miserable because of it, I didn't care what leadership thought and didn't hang around and complain, I left. Don't listen to people who don't give a fig about you.

Yes it meant doing things alone and not going to their fellowships anymore, and distruption of your life. It may mean losing your job. It may mean losing your spouse, although for some that might be a good thing.

It may mean losing contact with your children. A very tough decision, but no more than a miserable marriage that breaks up. Misery may cause ulcers, what good are you to your children when you have them?

It can be a hard decision, but I maintain that if you are miserable in twi, you owe it to yourself to get up and leave. God doesn't want you to be miserable. Your children will understand your decision some day if they can't now.

I like the idea of the tough love concept. It toughens you up. Sort of makes you think your life through, and shows you how to decide one way or the other what you want to do with your life. Puts you in control.

Sometimes the answer to a problem is just to take the damn medicine instead of rationalizing this and rationalizing that.

I know its harsh, but we're in the big leagues now.

And there are folks who will help you if you need it!

Take a check up from the neck up...

You who are miserable, rise up and make your life better. You can do it!

You CAN leave The Way!

12_6_17.gif

You guys remember "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest"?

There's a segment where Randall P. McMurphy is talking to his fellow mental prisoners and asking who is committed?

Turns out there were very few of them committed. Randall P. was committed though, but most of them were in the nuthouse voluntarily.

"all you do is complain and complain and complain about this place, and then you don't have the guts to just walk out"?

Come on man, what's up.

And so some folks in twi are told they are prisoners. From this website. They are prisoners, but you don't tell them to walk out of their prison?

How are YOU really helping them? By telling them how f-up twi is? Those who are IN and MISERABLE already know that.

And so you complain, you coddle their misery. You incubate their pain, but you don't relieve it.

Are you really helping them leave?

Think about it. You say they are prisoners, but you give them no incentive or encouragement to leave their prison?

Of course it's not easy. It's a damn hard choice!

And telling twi to give them money, or change, or help them leave, it like expecting a turtle to be a cheetah. It ain't gonna happen.

12_6_17.gif

quote:
I like the idea of the tough love concept. It toughens you up. Sort of makes you think your life through, and shows you how to decide one way or the other what you want to do with your life. Puts you in control.

Lemme tell you something...

Anyone who's been in TWI 2 has experienced "tough love" - it's more like "no love", IMHO... Again, you didn't tell me when you were in, Oldies, so I have no frame of reference for your possible experiences.

Here's some tough love for ya:

When hubby & I were 'released' from staff we were given 8 hours to pack our stuff and get bus tickets. Since we hadn't been on staff for very long and used all our resources (read: sold everything but our books, clothes and very few personal belongings to go on staff) we didn't have much money for bus tickets or for what was coming next.

We were sent back to TN but to a city we had never been to. It was upon arrival that we were told we were on "spiritual probation" - which, I suspected we might be - but the real stinger was that we were NOT to contact ANYONE standing in the ministry. We were told we had ONE WEEK to get jobs and housing or we'd be M&A'ed. We were also told we were not going to be staying with anyone but in a hotel - and then we were promptly dropped off at a rather expensive hotel - $60+ a night - we weren't asked if it was okay for us - it was what was most convient for the jerk who picked us up that night who had the title of 'area coordinator' at the time...

We had to swing into survival mode - it wasn't freedom of choice - it wasn't our choice to go to that city, to be put up in that hotel - none of it. We learned about what our situation would be like off-staff one little ugly piece at a time. If I wanted to try to save my marriage - and I gave it one last chance - I had to go along with it. I had been married 5+ years already and wasn't ready to let go - not yet, not totally. I had to go along with it - it hurt like hell because we'd given and given and given but when we had a weak point we had no one helping to strengthen us - they just shunned us - we were like disposable to them.

The TWI I experienced was all about tough love - to an extreme. Weakness wasn't overlooked and mistakes were forgiven - it was just the opposite.

So, if tough love really works, how come TWI had so many people walk away?

It's like getting an operation for a chronic problem...

You get an operation to have something removed or fixed. You want the pain to be gone!

You get the operation, but the next couple of weeks, now you are in INTENSE pain from the cutting.

But in the long run, you are better off because of it! Your pain is relieved!

4_7_8.gif

quote:
How are YOU really helping them? By telling them how f-up twi is? Those who are IN and MISERABLE already know that.

And so you complain, you coddle their misery. You incubate their pain, but you don't relieve it.

Ummm...

If you read many of the posts of people who were in, under situations like my own, who have moved on and have new lives, you will see how we help them leave. It's the same thing that helped me to leave. I found people in similar situations who left and weren't "grease spots by midnight" - I've written about my new life already on this thread... I'm blessed, strong (youknowit!), and love my life today.

It is through connecting through personal experineces and seeing there's life on the outside that will help innies get out. You miss that we're NOT saying it's a prison - we're saying "We know it's hard to leave - but look at us! We've been where you are - you CAN DO IT! It's not always simple, but it can be done!"

It's easy to say "get over it" - it takes work and love to say "here's how to do it."