GreaseSpot Cafe

The New Pope

GarthP2000

quote:
Originally posted by outofdafog:

Hey I always thought the pope would be the "antichrist". You know, over a billion people in the world worship him and he comes across as the "angel of light".

I never thought it was JP2, but always felt like his successor would be the one. Still do.

Me too Outadafog. I don't know if TWI taught this, but they certainly encouraged the idea. Ya gotta admit it makes some sense. If the devil doesn't know when his time is up, he's gotta have some guy ready to step in and take over. The papacy is a great holding-pattern institution for that, methinks. So if you can get a really rotten guy in there-and there have been some really rotten Popes--you may have yourself an antiChrist-in-waiting. Time will tell.

As silly as it sounds, and as implausible as it is, I hope he does turn out the AntiChrist cause then Jesus will come back soon and save us from the madness that is our world. Yay! As farfetched as it is, that's worth hoping for.

Pax

JerryB

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
well, he was a member of the Hitler youth program, on two occasions, later claiming he had no choice. I don't know enough about him, the program, or Germany to pass judgement, but it is not an encouraging resume.

Given his age at the time, I doubt he had any real choice in the matter. You either joined or were dealt with. He was released when he made it known he was entering the priesthood.

When actually "forced" into the army, he chose desertion rather than serve and follow the orders he was given.

Sometimes it's too easy to put a label on somebody and have it stick!

Oh I almost forgot! There's an interesting aspect of the "Labors of the Sun" motto for Pope John Paul II. The website indicates that he was born on May 18, 1920, during a solar eclipse. His funeral, last Friday, also took place on the date of a solar eclipse.

Hmmmmm. Verrrrry interesting. But spooky.

Pax

JerryB

Jonny Lingo...you're a riot!!!!!!!

Holy Moly, Garth....that pope DOES look like VPW himself....

Major scarey.

The buzz around town here is that he's a friggin' nazi. People around here, and I must say people are either pagan or roman catholic...is, that people are displeased to the hilt...I, could give a ratz a$$...just what Jonny Lingo said...!!!

At 78 this guy's a wee bit long in the tooth already, no? I guess they like all the pomp and circumstance surrounding the whole election thingy, as they'll most likely being doing it again real soon.

Good grief, why didn't they find somebody in his fortys or fiftys anyway? How silly...

quote:
Originally posted by Linda Z:

I don't mean to offend, but honestly, this reminds me of the "Passing of the Mantle" in twi. Same old heirarchy, very political, followers divided on the choice the cardinals made.

It very well may be, but maybe you should say that the passing of the mantle is a rip off from this. After all, this is the 264th time this one has happened over 2,000 years.

quote:
I heard a Catholic theologian from Boston College interviewed. He was polite and respectful, but it sounded to me like he wasn't too thrilled with the choice.
You will find a lot of people that aren't thrilled with the choice.
quote:
Oh well, it doesn't look like the rule forbidding priests and nuns to marry will be lifted anytime soon. I think that's a shame. Although I'm sure there are many priests and nuns who are celibate by choice, I think it should be just that: their choice.
They have a choice. Nobody forces them to make their pledge before God.
quote:
I hope this pope will address pedophilia and other abuse by Catholic clergy more aggressively than his predecessor.
He has referred to the pedophilia scandal as "filth," while in his previous job. That may give an indication.

quote:
Originally posted by Jbarrax:

The kicker? Including Petrus Romanus, there are only two left. The motto for the newly installed Pope Benedict XVI is "Gloria Olivae" or the glory of the olive.

IF--I say--IF the prophecy is actually valid, this might be a reference to the close of this age, spoken of in Romans 11:11-25, in which Israel and the Gentiles are referred to as the natural olive tree and the wild olive tree. We wild olives were graffed in to the natural olive tree and, when the fulness of the Gentiles --wild olives--is come, God will bring the natrual olives back. This would of course deal with God gathering Israael again and fulfilling all of the remaining prophecies in Daniel, Revelation, etc.

The motto for Pope John Paul II was "De Labore Solis" meaning Labors of the Sun. If one is apocalypse minded, one can interpret this in light of John 9:4

quote:
I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

This interpretation (a bit of a stretch I know) would project the papacy of J2P2 as the last one before the world's descent into the darkness of the Great Tribulation.

So if ole St Malachy was "tuned in" Pope Benedict will preside over the advent of the Great Tribulation. And who better to usher in an age of unprecedented darkness than a former Nazi??

Isn't this fun? :-)

Fore more information on the Prophecies of St Malachy, CLICK HERE

Peace

JerryB

P.S. My wife thinks this is all nonsense. She rolls her eyes whenever I mention it.

She's probably right.

Well, as a point of interest, JPII was born at a solar eclipse. He died at a partial solar eclipse. For centuries, the Benedictine Order of monks has claimed that the 265th will be a Benedictine. And so this guy picks the name Benedict? (The Benedictines claimed this because they have a sub-group, called the Olivetans. (BTW, Ratzinger is not a Benedictine--he was a diocesan priest rather than a religious).

I just consider this, btw, to be interesting coincidence...but if the next Pope takes on the name Petrus, watch out!

I don't like Ratzinger at all. He's the one that said that a politician that comes out in favor of abortion rights should be refused mass (he was the one behind the controversy about John Kerry), he's called gays evil, belittled religions other than catholicism, and is a mysogenist. He also seems to have religious views closer to Opus Dei and fundamentalist Christians than any Catholics than I know.

On the other hand, this is the guy that may be the right one to fight the child abuse and change the public perception of how the church deals with molesting priests. While I doubt he wouldn't call them to the Vatican, line them up in the streets, and shoot them...he is the type to at least excommunicate them and call the cops on them. He's made some statements against the molesters (although he included homosexuals in it as well) that were very clear and strongly against it.

The other thing is about his Nazi past. I can't really blame the guy since he was forced into it at a young age, and after being stationed at a place where he was to guard slaves, he wrote letters condemning his leaders and eventually went AWOL which was punishable by death. I don't think that you can associate this with any sort of white supremacist views or anything like that.

quote:
He has referred to the pedophilia scandal as "filth," while in his previous job. That may give an indication.
he also said he was convinced that the press in the USA intentionally manipulated the news about priests sexually assaulting children because they wanted to discredit "the church"

quote:
Originally posted by excathedra:

quote:
he also said he was convinced that the press in the USA intentionally manipulated the news about priests sexually assaulting children because they wanted to discredit "the church"

Whoa, Excie. That's not good, not good at all.

Oh well, at least he is old. Maybe he'll drop dead in a month, and they'll end up installing that dude from South America.

Danny

Panzer Pope! That was the nicknames his German constituants gave him. I guess he is quite unyielding in his devotion to church doctrine. He has an iron will. I like the nickname - the Panzer Pope icon_smile.gif:)-->

One of my best friend's fathers in NYC was Hitler youth. It was something you literally did not have a choice about if you were a "good" german. The alternative was "mark and avoid" - by everyone.

I find it unusual people find it odd he will uphold the Catholic dogma - that is what Pope's are supposed to do. Supposedly he and John Paul II had decided they would rather be faithful to the church tenants and lose people, than modernize and gain.

Remember, Panzer was hand-picked by JPII to be his right hand man. Panzer played bad cop so JPII could be seen as the good guy.

They also very deliberately picked an older person. JPII's shoes will be extremely hard to fill. Panzer is an "interim" Pope. They figure he has 5 or 6 years left (watch, he'll live to 100), this gives them time to seriously consider what kind of changes and what kind of person they want for the long haul.

I don't think any Pope who has to follow JPII can possibly fill his shoes. To me it seemed, JPII was a very real, deep, spiritual man of prayer who had a true love for people - all people - there was something about him.

Also, I believe the anti-christ will be a Jewish person - not the pope. Christ's prophecies in the OT were to his people. Jewish people would never follow a pope, or even consider one to be the Messiah. Nor would they let a non-Jew into the temple when it is eventually rebuilt.

I sometimes think the great Babylon spoke of in Revelations is the USA. We spread our culture, decadence, commerce, etc. all over the world. No one else comes close.

I think it will be interesting to watch this Pope in the days ahead.

I never liked the guy in his previous position and I like him even less in his new one.

He has demonstrated some Teutonic passions for bureauocratic interference and has, like the Nazis, been extremely intolerant of dissent. In my view he was very much the "power behind the throne" especially as JP2 got weaker.

His election, whilst repugnant, came as no surprise given that all but two of the voting cardinals (those under 80) were appointed by JP2.

He is likely to be even more conservative than JP2 and doctrinal purity will be dealt with just as harshly (though without the camps) as racial purity.

Given JP2's long reign younger candidates had no chance but many predecessors who were old at election managed to reign much longer than the lifespan statistics would have indicated.

The best Popes have never had long reigns.

Short may he reign, not to make him one of the best Popes but to limit the damage to the Catholic Church and the World.

Well outofdafog, I don't know if they're facts, just some logical conclusions. Thanks, it is a different viewpoint.

I also think the "abomination" in the temple will be some sort of "fallen angel" type being, pictures of which you can see in ancient sumarian pictures. Iknow that one's off the wall, but food for thought!

quote:
I sometimes think the great Babylon spoke of in Revelations is the USA. We spread our culture, decadence, commerce, etc. all over the world. No one else comes close.

Ya know Sunesis, that makes a lot of sense. I love my country dearly, but truly, we are way decadent. We are the worst. We may not be as permissive as, say, the Netherelands, or Germany when it comes to sexual liberties, but we are powerful, rich, and decadent. We are phat. Just look at our athletes and the money they command and receive. That stuff grosses me out more than the other lustful things so evident. Yeah, we could be the great Babylon spoken of in Revelation, fer sure...