GreaseSpot Cafe

Breakfast Recipes

Cindy!

My favourite *breakfast* (usually eaten at 2 AM after me and the gang got done picking for the night), has always been the Garbage Omelet.

Ya need a dozen eggs, onion, green pepper, tomato, ham cubes, sausage, cheese, tabasco sauce, and hash browns.

Saute the veggies, cook up the hash browns, then toss it all inside the omelet, with liberal doses of the tabasco sauce.

Granted -- we got ours from a restaurant (at that hour), but I've done the same here at the house occassionally.

Everything is inside the omelet, and if you make it right, it should be overhanging a regular size dinner plate, by an inch or two on BOTH sides of the plate!

And don't forget the coffee! wink2.gif;)-->

Eggs Ozarkia

Take a pound of ham, a pound of pork loin, a pound of venison loin and a pound of bacon and grind and mix them altogether with some salt, black pepper, sage and oregano making a sausage. I keep about ten pounds of this sausage in the freezer all the time.

Take about a half pound or whatever it takes to feed your family, crumble it up in a skillet with some chopped onion and fry it up. Then take about a half cup or so of flour,then mix it up real good with the fried sausage until it's soaked up the grease. Put in some milk, get the skillet good and hot, and mix it all up, stirring constantly until it becomes gravy. Don't let it come to a boil.

Take a nice hot biscuit, split it in half, butter it lightly, then cover the halves with your sausage gravy. Put a fried egg on top of each biscuit and then a slice of extra sharp cheddar cheese. Stick it in the broiler until the cheese melts and eat.

Goobered Hash Browns (to go with the eggs Ozarkia)

Get some potatoes and grate them into a skillet with hot fat, add some chopped onions, a cup or so of UNSALTED dry roasted peanuts and some chopped sweet green bell pepper. Fry it all up until the potatoes are golden brown, then place them on the plate next to the Eggs Ozarkia. Eat.

Best cooked over an open fire and best enjoyed with coffee perked on a campfire.

This breakfast is popular those cold November mornings in deer camps here in the Ozarks.

I just found this recipe and thought of this thread. I haven't tried it, but once I'm off my diet...I will icon_smile.gif:)-->

French Toast with Bananas and Walnuts

6 eggs

1/4 cup milk

4 very ripe bananas

1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

1/8 tsp, freshly grated nutmeg

8 slices egg bread

4 Tbs. butter

Powdered sugar, for dusting

Maple syrup or jam, for serving

In a large shallow bowl, using a fork, beat the eggs until lightly

frothy. Stir in the milk and set aside. Peel the bananas into a small

bowl and mash them with a fork. Stir in the walnuts and the nutmeg.

Spread the banana mixture over the 1/2 of the bread slices, leaving a

1/4-inch border uncovered on all edges. Top with the remaining bread

slices and press down gently to seal.

Place 2 sandwiches in the egg mixture and press down gently. Turn

over and let soak for a moment until evenly saturated on both sides.

Repeat with the other 2 remaining sandwiches.

In a frying pan or on a griddle, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over

medium heat. Place the sandwiches on griddle and fry until the

undersides are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining

butter, flip the sandwiches with a spatula and fry until golden

brown.

To serve place the toast on plates and dust with powdered sugar.

Serve with maple syrup or jam.

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Show: Paula's Home Cooking

Episode: Southern Brunch

-www.foodnetwork.com

ok Cindy, this is my favorite Banana Bread recipe

I never put the icing on it, but I'm sure its good if you want to use it. This bread is moist everytime I've baked it. I give it as christmas gifts, the mini loafs, to people at work and the bread never makes it home since they eat it right away!

Cinnamon-Banana Bread

Bread:

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 cup butter or margarine, divided

2 ripe bananas, cut into small pieces

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Frosting:

1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar

1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened

Preheat oven to 350*F.

For bread: combine brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter is melted. Add bananas and pecans, stirring until well coated. Cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl, cream remaining butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs. In a small bowl, sift together remaining ingredients. Stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in banana mixture. Divide batter evenely between 2 greased 3 1/2x6 3/4-inch loaf pans. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

For Frosting: combine confectioners sugar and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Drizzle frosting over bread. Store in an airtight container.

Yield: 2 loaves of bread

The Spirit of Christmas Cookbook 1996

Here ya go Chef.....I plan to start mine this week-end. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> I've actually tasted this before from authenitic Jamaicans and it's AWESOME!!!!!

They said a white bread girl like me would never be able to get the recipe so I'm tickled to have it!!!

Let's compare notes when it's done. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

It won't upload so e-mail me at scarlettbelle @ gmail dot com (spelled out with and with spaces to avoid spam)

Here's the full recipe.....I think i might try the full recipe, but there is a halved recipe for smaller crowds below:

Caribbean Christmas Cake/ Wedding Cake

This cake is versatile and you can substitute strawberry jam with marmalade or any other flavour of jam. You can use alcohol to flavour it or not. You can ice it or leave it plain. You can serve it as a Christmas fruit cake or use it to make a wedding cake.

It does make enough cake to fill a set of three graduated wedding cake pans (7.5 in, 5.5 in, and a 4 in pan).

Each cake is about 2 inches high and the total weight is about 11.5 lbs. If you cut it up for a wedding cake, it would probably serve anywhere from 100-150 ppl depending on how small you want the pieces to be.

1 3/4 cups slivered almonds

2 cups seeded raisins

2 cups seedless raisins

2 cups currants

2 1/2 cups chopped dates

2 cups citrus peels or mixed glace fruit

1 (12 ounce) bottle maraschino cherries

1/2 cup brandy or pineapple juice

1 (10 ounce) can crushed pineapple

2 cups sugar (additional sugar listed below)

1 cup strawberry jam

4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 lb butter

2 1/4 cups sugar

12 eggs

125 servings

1 hour 34 minutes 1 hr 30 mins prep

Day 1: Measure nuts, raisins, currants, citron peel into a large bowl.

Drain cherries and reserve juice.

Chop cherries (they should measure about 1 1/4 cups) and add to the fruit mixture.

Stir in brandy and soak over night.

I actually do this a few weeks in advance and leave it in the fridge and really let the fruit soak in the brandy for more depth of flavour but it's up to you.

If you're going to do it the day before baking however, I'd cover it with plastic wrap and leave it on the counter at room temp.

In a heavy dutch oven or large saucepan, simmer the entire contents of the can of pineapple with 2 cups of the sugar.

Cook uncovered until thickened, about 30 minutes.

Stir frequently and make sure the heat isn't too high.

When cool, stir in the juice from jar of maraschino cherries (it shouldn't be more than 1/2 cup) and the strawberry jam.

This mixture doesn't have to be done the day before baking but it does have to be cool before you add it to the cake.

In fact, I'd recommend that you do this step on the day of baking.

Prepare cake pans by greasing and then lining with w/a double thickness of heavy brown paper. Brown shopping bags do well or else you can use tin foil with dull side out.

Grease the paper or foil well.

Use whatever size pans you wish but leave an inch space at the top of the pan.

Total wt is 11.5 lbs.

Preheat oven to 275F.

Sift or stir the flour with the spices, salt and soda until well mixed.

Sprinkle a cup of the flour mixture over the fruits and nuts and toss till they are coated with flour.

Set remaining 3 cups of flour aside.

In a large measuring bowl, cream 2 1/4 cups of the sugar with butter.

Beat in eggs one at a time.

Stir in dry ingredients, alternating with pineapple mixture.

Make 3 dry and two liquid additions, combining lightly after each addition.

Pour over flour-coated fruits and nuts and mix until well combined.

Turn into prepared pans and they can be filled to about one inch from the top.

Bake in a preheated oven for 3- 3.5 hrs depending on pan size.

Put a shallow pan of water on a lower rack for added moisture if you'd like.

Cake should be fairly firm in the centre and a skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean.

Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 min.

Remove from pan and peel off paper and then let it cool on a rack.

When cool, wrap it in a piece of cheesecloth that has been soaked in brandy, rum, black wine, liquer, or fruit juice.

Then wrap the cake in tin foil (leaving the cheesecloth on the cake).

Freeze if not being used right away.

Note: I usually start soaking the fruits around the end of October for a couple of weeks in the fridge, then mid nov, i bake the cake, and freeze it.

Every couple of weeks, I take it out, re-soak the cheesecloth in liquor and wrap it back up and re-freeze.

By the time Christmas rolls around, you will have one moist and intoxicating cake!

(you can just use fruit juice if you don't want the alcohol... I think pineapple juice is the best).

You can decorate with an almond paste or icing of your choice or serve plain.

30 Servings

1/2 cup slivered almonds

1/2 cup seeded raisins

1/2 cup seedless raisins

1/2 cup currants

5/8 cup chopped dates

1/2 cup citrus peels or mixed glace fruit

1/4 (12 ounce) bottle maraschino cherries

1/8 cup brandy or pineapple juice

1/4 (10 ounce) can crushed pineapple

1/2 cup sugar (additional sugar listed below)

1/4 cup strawberry jam

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/8 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/8 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 lb butter

5/8 cup sugar

3 eggs

Nice firm dark french toast...not soggy

Top with wipped cream cheese instead of the usual stuff. I make a sandwhich of 2 sliced with chream cheese in the middle and then I become a pig....yum

CHRISTMAS SOUFFLE

9 x 12 Pan

Ingredients:

12 slices Pepperidge Farm bread. Cut off crusts. Butter one side of each

1/2 lb grated Swiss cheese

1/2 lb cheddar cheese

1/2 lb. chopped ham

4 eggs

1.5 cups milk

1/2 tsp. dry mustard (milk mixture)

crumbles corn flakes

Layer 6 slices of bread, butter side down, then cheddar, then ham, then bread, then Swiss.

Pour milk mixture on top.

Soak overnight in fridge.

Crumble cornflakes on top.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes

quote:
Originally posted by Zshot:

fruit and yogurt

two 32oz containers of either rasberry or strawberry yogurt

three pounds of assorted frozen fruit (blueberries, blackberries, rasberries etc...)

1/3 cup honey (aprox)

1 lb chopped walnuts

mix all ingredients together and place an airtight lid on the mixiture.

place in regrigrator.

when the fruit is no longer frozen, stir and serve...

Oh, Zshot, that sounds tasty. I have something similar to that for breakfast (or at least a major portion of bkfst) mostly every day.

I like to take a banana, container of lowfat fruit yogurt, a little milk, 1/4 cup uncooked oatmeal, and maybe a kids chocolate cookie and mix it all up in a blender and make a shake out of it -- sometimes even add a scoop of ice cream!!

I prepare the shake the night before, and fill a kids thermos full, with and the leftover (about 10 fl oz) going in a plastic cup. Both go into the fridge. I drink the cup of shake first thing in the morning (around 5:00 am) before going to work, and drink the thermos contents later in day (afternoon) at work for an afternoon snack.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

Per