GreaseSpot Cafe

The Cone of Rita

Raf

True. We just sent a reporter and photog out there. It should be a hurricane by the time it gets there.

And God, please, don't let it turn north in the Gulf. Let it hit me; anything but the northern Gulf coast.

Likeaeagle,

I know what you're saying, but given a (false) choice between hitting Fort Lauderdale and hitting New Orleans again, which would you choose? I'd much rather have it hit here: we've got this down to an art form by now.

But I'll join you in prayer for everyone's safety... how's that?

We're on the outer edges of the storm: LOTS of rain, a little wind. People took this very seriously. I saw a lot of people boarding up their windows here in Broward County, even though the path of the storm is WELL to our south. We learned the "unpredictable path of the storm" lesson from Katrina, and we wanted to make sure we were ready in case Rita said "Ooh! Fort Lauderdale Beach! I want to go there instead!"

Seeing as how I live just north of Houston, I'm getting my hurricane supplies together. We're about 90 miles from the coast, so we won't be evacuated. We won't be affected by the storm surge.

But if it rains a ton, we could flood. And we are surrounded by lotza trees that probably will come down. We're prepared for the power to be out for a while.

Sheesh. Snow storms I'm used to, (having lived in the frozen north) but this is abit scarier.

The last major hurricane to hit here was Alicia in 1983. I was at the Rock at the time. By the time I came back, everything was fine. Rita may strengthen, even to category 5; but it will almost certainly be no stronger than a 3 at landfall. The water at this end of the gulf is never as hot as on the Florida side.

On the other hand, unless the projections take a decided southward look, Lucy and I will evacuate on Thursday.

George

George, I'm glad to hear you'll evacuate. icon_smile.gif:)--> I'd hate to be worried about you and your family.

Linda and our other beloved Texans, Charlie was still a Category 1 or 2 hurricane over 200 miles inland AFTER hitting the west coast of FL. Winds were gusting up to 90mph and caused way more damage in my area than the other hurricanes last year. (Different parts of Central Florida were hurt worse by others)

Please make sure you and all your loved ones do take precautions and make preparations as if you are going to be taking a direct hit by a Category 2 or 3 hurricane.

I apologize if this sounds insulting and is all things you already know, but just in case...here are some tips I sent to my family and friends before Katrina hit:

Put all very important papers and medical

prescriptions in zip lock bags and store them in the washing machine. It's the strongest, heaviest place to store most important items.

Fill additional zip lock bags with water and freeze them now! Believe it or not, but Ice and water are at a premium after hurricanes. Especially if you have medicine that has to be refrigerated.

Get out all candles, flashlights, oil lamps and

matches and put them where you can easily find them when the power goes out.

Unplug everything except the refrigerator. MAYBE leave one lamp on so you know if power is on or off.

Turn off the Air Conditioner when the worst of the storm starts. There will be transformers blowing up and power surges. You do not want to have to deal with a blown up AC unit or fire because of power surges through your computer or TV during this time.

DO NOT go outside in the storm no matter how tempting it is. Limbs and trees are missles as are anything your neighbors may have left outside.

Cell Phone text messaging is most likely to work even when you can not get calls in or out.

Fill every bathtub in your house with water. You may need it, even if it's just to flush the toilet. wink2.gif;)-->

The transformers are bright green when they blow and if there's lots of them it's like something out of Wizard of Oz (really cool). It's not green lightning though, like I thought it was in Charlie. This could be something kids enjoy watching and keeps them from being scared.

Kitty litter makes a good substitute for sand bags.

Red Wine is the best Post Hurricane Party Supply since it does not need refrigerating or ice to be enjoyable.

*grin*

In those famous Florida Hurricane Battle Cry Words:

HUNKER DOWN!!!!!!!!!

I'd much rather scare the hell out of y'all and have you prepared for no reason than for you to do nothing and have needed to do so. love3.gif

I'll be praying fervently for each one of you,

especially if you have to live without AC for a few days. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Turn off the Air Conditioner when the worst of the storm starts. There will be transformers blowing up and power surges. You do not want to have to deal with a blown up AC unit or fire because of power surges through your computer or TV during this time.

Belle, I would add: UNPLUG THE COMPUTERS AND TV'S FROM THE WALL!!!

If not, they are still "running", silently waiting for their dear owner to push the on button..

Here, I get all kinds of stuff to repair in the spring and summer. "Whadya mean you can't fix it.. I turned it OFF..." icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Plenty of batteries in all sizes. You'll need them for all the flashlights, radios, and other battery-operated necessities.

Lots of drinking water. I usually get a case of bottled water in the begining of season for this purpose.

The stove & dishwasher are great places for storage. For the most part, they are water-proof.

As far as the electric, turn it off at the breaker box. Then you'll be safe in case of a surge.