GreaseSpot Cafe

Chicago.....

outofdafog

Outofthefog:

I remember when my oldest moved away to go to college (he's 28 now), it was so hard. I had had him at 22 and so felt like we kinda grew up together, so he was sorely missed, even though those first couple of years we saw him frequently.

Now, he's on the other side of the country from me and i still miss him so much.

I know you've probably give her a great foundation to build on and she'll do great, but I totally hear you that it's hard to let go.

((((((((((((outofthefog))))))))))))))

J.

Oops! Sorry. I spelled your name incorrectly.

(((((((((((((Outofdafog)))))))))))))))))

J. :blink:

My middle daughter Emily just espcaped Chi-town, as she lasted 6 years (4 college..two teaching) & basically "had enough" of the windy city's winters..so off to AZ she went..high of 101 today..so there's a trade off for sure..Poor Cubbie btw.,..but hey the White Sox are in the playoffs...also my past-poor Bengals whipped up on the lowly Chi town Bears!! LOL

Thanks guys for your nice thoughts. Yea I am wondering how long she will put up with the winter?? Especially traveling back and forth to trains and buses to get around.

And I did raise them as a single mom, so there is that type of bond too.....she always helped with the littler one (they are seven years apart)

Thanks for the hugs too :)

There are times when I miss Chicago. Winter isn't one of them. The last time I was home for Christmas (about 20 years ago) it was 25 below with a wind chill of 85 below! My family is welcome to visit ME for Christmas, but unless someone in the family dies, they won't see me in Chicago in December or January again!

Seriously, graduation is a GOOD thing, and your daughter will be fine.

George

I am feeling alot better, thanks to all.....

Yesterday, said daughter was really freaking out about the decision she had made. Fear and excitement mixed. For awhile I had kind of bucked her going to a big city (third largest in the nation) and I could have been selfish and used this fear to keep her home. But, that wouldn't have been right, because I want my daughter to be a success. I flat out told her to "Buck up". If the littlest things can discourage you, how are you ever going to make it in a big city? For the longest time she has been accusing me of not wanting her to go. It isn't that.

We are from a fairly small town. Sidney Ohio to be exact. This change was going to be a very culteral shock to her. She looked white with anxiety last night.

This morning she told me she took a break at work last night and while she was on her break she said she started praying. Shortly after that, she told me a real peace enveloped her heart and self. And it must be true, because when she came home last night, I had to break the news to her that the U-Haul we considered getting was 2 the 3 times more than we could afford. Now knowing my child, she should have started freaking out. Instead she told me about the story of her praying that night at work. She seemed like a different person all of a sudden, full of peace and confidence. She knew everything would work out.

Even today, total peace about her decision. And we don't even attend a church, TWI or any type of offshoot. Tells me alot about God.

Funny. I have been praying for Chicago. It's one of my favorite cities. It always sounds like a song to me.

Moody Bible Institute.

One of the first Godly orphanages, and still continues today. (Like Boy's town, Mercy Home for boys and girls.)

Some very nice people have come from Chicago.

Hope your daughter finds many good things in store for her there.

Kit Sober

This is interesting.......I told you the other day that my daughter prayed for the peace from God regarding this move. She said something tonight that really "blessed" me. That she has found her way back to God. She had been really turned off to God when we got "marked and avoided" from the ministry. But she seems to have found the true peace of God since she made this decision to move to Chicago. She is spending time in prayer. I told her today that I am so much more comfortable about this move, now that she is taking God along. Whatever that means to her, it seems to be working.

outofdafog,

I was born and raised in a very small southern town never lived anywhere else and even graduated from college there. As soon as I graduated I wanted to move to a "big city" as far away from home as I could get without being more than a day's drive away. :D Orlando is exactly 12 hours away from home by car.... Although "city folk" laugh that I thought Orlando was a big city and having been to Boston recently, I now understand why they laugh at me. :)

Anyway, it was my first time away from home. My first time being where nobody knew me and I didn't know anyone, no friends, no contacts, nuttin'. I learned some really tough lessons about people my first year. It was a really, really bad year and sometimes I look back now and can't believe I made it! I remember Mama saying, "You can always come home." but my pride wouldn't let me. I'm stronger, more "aware" and less naive because of it. I also became really grateful for the lessons my parents taught me growing up and see how those things helped me survive and keep out of trouble (well, out of too much trouble).

Your daughter is showing you the Proverb about raising a child up "in the way he should go"... She's falling back on what you taught her and your example to her while she was growing up. She'll be making friends quickly and experiencing whole new things in life. It's an exciting time! She'll be growing right before your very eyes in phenomenal ways. You'll get smarter too!! ;) You'll be surprised at how smart you become. LOL!

I grew up i n Chicago and use to work in the Loop (downtown).

It's a bustling city loaded with world class museums and awesome restaurants and plenty of things to do .

She will fine..I hope she moved to a good area tho.

My daughter was away in Turkey for 2 yrs. I was given carte blanche to call her anytime I wanted.This was post 9/11.

Hang in there...be glad for her ability's to choose the right steps.

thanks everybody...

well the deed is done....she is there and in a beautiful neighborhood....she is in Lakeview....alot of young college and young college professionals

i feel alot better now that I see where she is living and meeting room mates and all....I had never been there and I just "LOVED" it.....there is so much life there.....

the public transportation system is awesome, so in a couple of weeks her car is coming home....parking in Lakeview is nearly non existent. we woke up sunday morning with a $5o.oo parking ticket

eagle.....I can't even imagine mine going that far....I have the same persmission hahaha to call anytime....

I rode the subway for the first time in my life....it was great.....

coming from such a small town....I was awed at the life there is out there.....it is so different.....everyone is so different, but you can just be you....it was great

Okay, day 7 of daughter living in chicago............two jobs, a recruiter who found her resume on careerbuilders.com looking for her a job in her field.......while she gets some cash flow going she is bartending in the NBC towers in downtown and waitressing during the Christmas season at Marshall Fields in the Walnut room (they have to wear tuxedo uniforms). They told her a bad night there in tips is $200.00. Between $500.00 and $600.00 is a good night (thru december).

New boss gives her cab money every night so she doesn't have to take the subway home. Her first night in the NBC towers working, all the guys from Jerry Springer show come in (the studio is right above the restaurant and bar that she works in.) She gets tickets and back stage passes for me and some of my girlfriends to come up one day for the taping of the show. All I can say is this girl goes for the top........

How fun to be 23 and living in Chicago, we talk about 3 times a day....I am sure that will level off the more she gets her life going up there....but all is well and thanks for the prayers........

not that Jerry Springer is the top or anything....... :P

but I am still going.......and I am going to have fuuuuuuuun........I looooooove Steve!!

she lives in Lakeview. anybody know that area......looks like a great place and everyone is so nice.

Edited by outofdafog

me too dmiller

I guess Marshall Fields was recently purchased by Macy's but retains the name (at least for now). I was reading about the Walnut room and I guess it is pretty swanky.

At christmas they put a 40 foot tall tree in the center of the restaurant...the saying is the closer to the tree, the better the tips. Must put people in a holiday mood to give hahaha

Awwwww, Outofdafog..... :wub: :(

It's so hard! When I got homesick, I called my mom to get the recipe for my favorite dishes that she used to make.

One of 'em was a dish we called "Comp'ny Chicken" and we ONLY had it when we had comp'ny. ;) It's not just the dish though, it's the green beans, the mashed taters, the crescent rolls and the bananas foster for dessert.... She gave me the recipe for the Comp'ny Chicken and it was sooooo friggin easy! I yelled at her, "It's THAT EASY and we ONLY had it when we had company????" She laughed and said that the reason we had it when we had company was BECAUSE it was that easy. :D

Maybe you could send her a few recipes for her favorite dishes y'all had together and a funny little card to make her laugh. PM me your snail mail and I'll send you a funny card to make YOU laugh. I'm good at picking 'em out, if I may say so myself, and I LOVE to send 'em! B)

Belle, I did ship her a birthday box yesterday. I called it "Birthday in a Box". It has candles, plates, food, candy and best of all - all kinds of little presents and trinkets wrapped up inside. I got her roommates silly string. All they needs is a cake and their preferred beverage. Party favors and all.

I am hoping that it cheers her up. She can have a birthday party on me.

Good idea on the recipes too!