The Cone of Wilma

Raf

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafe,

Do you think maybe you should move?

I mean, it seems like everytime I take a peak at GS, you are in the path of yet ANOTHER hurricaine! Is it just your charm? Your charisma? Your beauty? :D

Gotcha in my prayers, dude, as always. And all the others in Florida (Hope and the Tampa Bayers). Hang in there y'all. If ya need a place to run to, Atlanta seems like it will get passed by!

hugs,

Robi

I didn't write this, but I wish I had...

By xxxxx xxxxxxxx

As Hurricane Wilma stalled over the Yucatan, delaying landfall in Florida until Tuesday at the soonest, print journalists struggled to keep readers interested in what the once-threatening storm was not doing.

I didn't write this, but I wish I had...

By xxxxx xxxxxxxx

As Hurricane Wilma stalled over the Yucatan, delaying landfall in Florida until Tuesday at the soonest, print journalists struggled to keep readers interested in what the once-threatening storm was not doing.

Boy Raf, you have quite a challenge don't you. :mellow:

Robi, as far as us Floridians moving, we wouldn't think of it. We still think that we have the best deal of anybody else in the country. In spite of everything, we still live in paradise (which is why Ted is going to be moving down here instead of me moving us to Ohio).

By the way, he's coming down here tomorrow and staying until Tuesday (unless Wilma changes that). B)

Edited by moony3424

The Wait Begins

Looks like this storm is finally moving away from Mexico and is heading toward Florida. I don't know how many chances I'll have to post. We're under a hurricane warning, which means we should expect to experience hurricane conditions within 24 hours. It's an admittedly premature warning this time, but they wanted to make sure everyone was ready.

I have no idea how bad it will be for us. Once again, the models show it well to the north of us, but that did not stop Frances and Jeanne from hitting us hard last year, or Dennis and Rita hitting us hard this year (though the latter two were well to our south).

I won't be posting much, so don't get jittery if you don't hear from me.

My prayers are with Hope and Jon, Belle and others to my north. Let's be able to laugh about this one next week, okay?

See you guys on the other side of the storm.

Raf

Right now we're under a tropical storm warning (but the hurricane warning starts about 10 miles south of here and we're told that could change at any moment). They said as of now to expect sustained winds of at least 40 mph with gusts of at least 60 mph. But, like Raf said, I remember last year and how I lost my home then. Like the rest of my fellow Floridians...Just waiting

Well, Wilma stayed away long enough to let me and my brother enjoy the reception and to visit with our Italian cousins. Actually, the weather in Sarasota was pretty fair during the weekend. Now that I'm back, I'm praying that the rest of you avoid any severe unpleasantness. (It appears that the storm will pass quickly through Florida.)

George

Check out the Hurricane Info forum at this site:

http://www.cancuntravelonline.com/forum/index.php

As for the American press, there's a story in the Yucatan that they are mostly ignoring, preferring to cover the listless wait of bored Floridians to an epic struggle for survival against a monster storm a few hundred miles to the southwest. Oh, it's only about Mexicans and a few tourists? No story there.

Raf, sometimes your profession really goes out of its way to earn its poor reputation. I suspect it's the fault of editors and producers mostly.

You'll understand if the coverage IN Florida is about Florida. I can't speak for the rest of the country.

But yes, it would be nice if American media understood that when hurricanes hit Latin American countries, it's a story.

Well, since I'm not at my winter home in the Keys right now, I'm gettin' the national news.

I think the print media needs to take on the electronic media. Show 'em who's boss. How about it Raf? I have to remind myself that the electronic news media is, with some great exceptions, hardly more than the entertainment between commercials most of the time.

You have to read the paper(s) to get any quantity of information.

Edited by satori001

Moony, I can't believe they made you go into work!!

Here in Orlando the winds started at 3:45am pretty fierce considering how far away we are. They say the winds are sustained at 40mph right now with gusts up to 60mph. We were told to call in at 10am and I suspect that they will tell us to stay at home and call back at noon to find out which departments they want to come in.

Thankfully we still have power and my neighbor's wi-fi is still up and running. :D Yes, I'm a freeloader! (with permission, of course)

The rain is freezing cold! They say it's 75 degrees outside, but it feels much cooler than that! The trees are being whipped around like whisks beating eggs in a bowl. There's been many tornados spawned around here, especially in Brevard County, which has just continually taken a beating in almost all the hurricanes and still trying to recover from last year.

I hope y'all in in the southern peninsula are hunkered down and staying safe!!

Robi, as far as us Floridians moving, we wouldn't think of it. We still think that we have the best deal of anybody else in the country. In spite of everything, we still live in paradise (which is why Ted is going to be moving down here instead of me moving us to Ohio).

B)

Moony,

I know, I know....I grew up in Miami and I miss south Florida every day. I just have to get my digs in at Rafe every once in a while! I love Florida and wish I were there. Believe it or not, I even miss the hurricanes!

Rafe....

I'm holding my breath until I know you (and everyone else there) are safe. Post, will ya? :unsure: :)

It could have been worse.

I can't post long, because I am at work and there's much to do.

But I made it.

My car got smashed by, of all things, a palm frond (proving that mass times velocity equals holy crap get out of the way.

Our Fort Lauderdale office is not passing fire safety code.

Downtown Fort Lauderdale is...

I can't describe it. It's unusual to see traffic lights that are not working. It's more common to see intersections where the lights are missing entirely.

The enormity of what we've been through here prevents tears. One lady in my neighborhood introduced herself to me twice. I wanted some of what she was smoking until I realized she had lost her roof.

Trees uprooted. Windows blown out. Power lines down.

Me? No power. No water. Smashed windshield.

And I'm one of the lucky ones.

Very lucky.

Raf

You are safe and unharmed though, aren't you? I'm so glad to hear from you. I was getting worried since I know you got it worse that predicted. I hope things start getting back to normal (whatever that is) as soon as possible. At least the cold front came in (do you have it too) so the heat isn't so unbearable without power.

My prayers are with you, my brother.

Raf, I'm so sorry! It's a creepy, twilight zone kind of atmosphere, isn't it? At least that's how it was for me last year. Like Moony said, I hope things start to get back to normal quickly. Florida officials are experts at hurricane recovery now, so hopefully people won't be inconvenienced for too long.

You have family down there, too, right? Are they all okay?

Please do let us know how the restability goes for you.