GreaseSpot Cafe

The Cone of Wilma

Raf

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here's the deal. I have a wedding reception to attend in Sarasota on Saturday, so I plan to fly into Tampa on Friday and leave Sunday. How far south does the storm have to go to leave Sarasota relatively safe? (I don't mind a bunch of rain, but I won't be there if there's a likely problem from storm surge or high wind.) Is there a "clean side" to a storm in Florida? The south and west sides of storms hitting the Texas shoreline are much better than the north and east sides, due to the counterclockwise rotation of the storm.. For example, Rita brought only a little rain and minimum hurricane force winds to my home south of Houston; but Louisiana got hit pretty hard. I have a feeling that because Florida is so narrow there is no "clean" side.

George

Actually, the bride and groom were married in Milan a couple weeks ago. (My cousin is Italian. She's been living in the US for a few years now.) They're just having a reception in Florida for the non-jet-setters among us.

More to the point: what's the likelihood that the reception will be held in a hurricane shelter? :unsure:

George

Actually, the bride and groom were married in Milan a couple weeks ago. (My cousin is Italian. She's been living in the US for a few years now.) They're just having a reception in Florida for the non-jet-setters among us.

More to the point: what's the likelihood that the reception will be held in a hurricane shelter? :unsure:

George

Hey George B)

Just go ... you will get brownie points for being there if the weather is bad ... and it will be more exciting to boot ... and if you are flying .. you ARE a jet setter :) Milan ... WOW, fashion capital of the world I think ... thank God the US protects them so we can have good fashion.

Even in Florida, there is a left and right. I think if your earring is in the right, you will attract gay guys ;) Unless you are REALLY ugly, or showing obvious signs of disease. :o

OK, I guess that stirs the pot

double ouch! It's been a long time since we've seen a threat this far north. We get hurricanes, but they are few and far between. This could be the year, though. It's been a crazy weather year!

I don't mind though - at least it's not the Gulf Coast - again.

I'll probably decide about noon tomorrow (Thursday) what to do. If Wilma hangs around in the Caribbean long enough, or if the track moves more southward (Come on, cold front!) I'll give it a shot. Right now, though, it looks like a Cat 2 storm hitting south FL late Saturday. I don't think I want to be there for that. :blink: :o

George

Rhino, have you been using nasal spray again?