GreaseSpot Cafe

Did The Way Ever Call the POLICE?

bliss

Just wondering. Legitamately of course, not for walking on grounds without calling first!!!!! I am talking a real crime.

I was thinking back around 1995 at the Indiana Campus. They kicked out an In-Rez family Corps guy from New Zealand, because he was a pedophile! (Accused of anyway). Sent him packing, but then what?

What about notifying the authorities and pressing charges on REAL perps? I know about Temple Lady's story, that is very disturbing. But are there any other crimes that have happend with people and the only punishment was being "kicked out?"

If they never got involved with authorities to just "save face" or "let not the ministry be blamed", yet allowed a criminal to go free, well, that is inexusable.

Of course it depends on the severity of the crime, but it may also be that they don't want to rat on a brother/sister in Christ if they don't have to.

But kicking them out immediately is strong punishment, and better than keeping them in, wouldn't you say?

So, let see.........

I see you , Oldies, brother in Christ, kill or molest or steal (example)

So, I (the BOD) kick you out, ( because, no, I don't want you in )and not call the police..........hummmmmnn

Then you go out an kill/molest/steal again.

If a crime is committed, isn't is a moral obligation to notify authorities?

I guess the criminal should thank God it wasn't the Old Testament, huh?

I don't think kicking the perp out is a real consequence Oldies, they just need to find another place to hide.

Of course it depends on the severity of the crime
And just what is "severe"?? Rape, Child molestation, Spouse battering, coercion fro sexual favors.........all present and all, even if not out rightly, condoned - a lot of looking the other way-----
but it may also be that they don't want to rat on a brother/sister in Christ if they don't have to.
Pure Gang mentality there
But kicking them out immediately is strong punishment,
Strong as to what??? Still free, no consequences --except not going to church anymore
and better than keeping them in,
better for the immediate fellowship All of that still begs the Question DID TWI ITSELF EVER actually contract the authorities when discovery was made of Child molestation or rape or spousal abuse.??? Edited by templelady

Of course it depends on the severity of the crime, but it may also be that they don't want to rat on a brother/sister in Christ if they don't have to.

But kicking them out immediately is strong punishment, and better than keeping them in, wouldn't you say?

Kicking them out, and not reporting them the authorities would be doing the criminal a favor.

As far as the *ratting on* aspect, twi (imo) wouldn't do that, just because of the involvement of the legal proceedings that would follow. Shucks --- anyone who has ever *danced* with that outfit knows that the only legalities they acknowledge, are implemented by them, imposed by them, and mandated by them.

I can't imagine anyone from the BOD (or BOT, or whatever they are called now) inviting criminal investigation anywhere near the grounds --- something else *suspicious* might come up, and Lordy, lordy --- "what have we got to answer for here?"

It's the coward's way out, to just M&A someone who should be doing jail time.

Jeez -- now that I think on it -- doesn't lcm fall into that category too? :unsure:

David

'oldiesman'=

"Of course it depends on the severity of the crime"

[This has already been adequately addressed by other posters.]

"but it may also be that they don't want to rat on a brother/sister in Christ if they don't have to."

[And I don't want to pay payroll tax, but it's the law and I do it.]

[ All states have similar legislation. Hq is in Ohio and is under the Federal and State laws

governing Ohio.

Ohio Revised Code section 2921.22 states:

" (A) No person, knowing that a felony has been or is being committed, shall

knowingly fail to report such information to law enforcement authorities.

(B) Whoever violates division (A) of (B) of this section is guilty of

'failure to report a crime'.

Violation of division (A) of this section

is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree." ]

"But kicking them out immediately is strong punishment, and better than keeping them in, wouldn't you say?"

[Trick question.

The proper response upon a religious organization's discovery that a member or employee has

committed a crime, is to report that individual to the local legal authorities.

Period.

Kicking the person out is independent of the MORAL responsibility to protect the community,

and the LEGAL responsibility to report a criminal.

Here's an example of how Ohio law views this sort of thing...

http://www.cleveland.com/abuse/index.ssf?/...1185150122.html

This legal response -requiring reporting of a crime-

predates the founding of the United States and has its roots in "raising a hue and cry"

back in the Dark Ages of Europe. ]

Isn't it against the law to know of a crime committed and not report it? Accessory after the fact or something like that?

Yeah, I think it's the same stance that the Roman Catholic Church tried to take in hiding their serial criminals in black and shipping them around to different places. Religious institutions should not be above the law, period. Family of god crap is just that, crap. It's just another lie to keep the lid on a can of worms that is festering.

Isn't it against the law to know of a crime committed and not report it? Accessory after the fact or something like that?

It's a fourth-degree misdemeanor. I posted the citation from Ohio's laws.

Yeah, I think it's the same stance that the Roman Catholic Church tried to take in hiding their serial criminals in black and shipping them around to different places. Religious institutions should not be above the law, period. Family of god crap is just that, crap. It's just another lie to keep the lid on a can of worms that is festering.
And they lost in court over that. I posted the verdict's link.
Oldiesman,

I've had a day at work, downed a couple (ok, four) beers, & STILL your post makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!!!

"It depends on the severity of the crme"? So, tell me, just what is severe & what isn't?

I can answer this one before he even logs back in.

If they reported it, it was "severe", thus, worthy to be reported.

If they did not report it, it was not "severe", thus, unworthy of being reported.

He will NOT get into specifics on them, because then he might get in the

position of saying they should have reported a rapist, molestor, murderer,etc,

rather than focusing on covering their OWN tracks.

So, you can save the energy. OM will NEVER change positions on that,

and you'll just waste time and energy trying to reason it with him.

I kind of look at the percentages.. so to speak..

I look at how SUCCESSFUL they were in sweeping a FEW known incidences that I am aware of under the proverbial rug.. and would go to practically any length to protect their whiter than snow, pristine, "reputation"..

Only time I think they EVER called the police was when something "untidy" happened to THEM- like D*oug M**ullen showed up on Vey property.

Didn't give a d*mn about anybody else.. no matter how bad it was.

Sorry Word Wolf, for some reason I didn't see your post although I was looking to see if someone posted the legal side.

The thing was, it just wasn't Ohio that these crimes were committed in. All in all, one would think that a Biblical Research and Teaching Ministry, one who claims to be of God and for the Lord would have higher standards of legalities and ethics than any place else. But I guess that is just a fallacy and a dream as we watch other religions exposed for their corruptedness on the news media.