GreaseSpot Cafe

How are you cooking your Turkey this year

likeaneagle

I am still sticking to the oven roasted method. But I am looking for a good marinade.

I am also cooking up green beans, corn, homeade herb bread, mashed potatoes,cauliflower and coleslaw,also I forgot my friend is German so I am making a side of creamy sour kraut w/caraway seed, cranberry and mandarine oranges w/ walnuts and Grand Manje(sp) sryup, For desert Im making homeade apple pie.....oh..im hungry now:)

Edited by likeaeagle

We are deep frying our's this year in peanut oil. I've never had it, but hubby says it makes the moistest turkey ever.

How are you making your cranberry walnut salad? I'm going to try to make one, but the recipe on the cranberries doesn't call for nuts. I've got to have nuts, so I'm not sure if it's the same thing I've tried before.

I'm smoking my turkey. I shot it Saturday, and it's been chilling ever since. Nothing beats a wild turkey that's been grazing on acorns.

Here is how I do mine.

First, get lots of fruit wood. I like pecan, but pear, cherry, or some other mild fruit wood will work. Turkey is a delicate meat, and it will absorb whatever flavor wood you use. Be vigilant about the temperature: keep it at 200 degrees, +/- 25 degrees max. Keep a spray bottle handy for your firebox. At this low temperature, it takes an hour a pound. Get a bottle of bourbon, a good cigar, and just stay up all night. Bourbon goes with the smoke and you'll stink by morning, but you'll enjoy yourself. Invite a buddy over and make it an event.

One of the simple but priceless experiences of life.

We are deep frying our's this year in peanut oil. I've never had it, but hubby says it makes the moistest turkey ever.

He's right. Deep fried turkey is the best. Did you get a turkey frier? Oh, and me? Since there are those here that "know how much I love cooking", I be eating my turkey whatever way they make it.

Edited by moony3424

I put my turkey in the oven this morning, in a roasting bag. Never done that before, so I dont know how it will turn out.

Tomorrow, I will bake the ham, hopefully, in a roasting bag, if the turkey is as good as I hope it is.

I have a great recipe for cranberry salad, that uses pineapple, apple, and nuts. Hubby's family raved about it last year, so I am doing it again. I will post the recipe if anyone wants it.

My year old grand nephew will be here any minute, so I will be tied up watching him all day. What fun he is!!!

Greek2me-d Maybe you take a torch to burn the toast..I have no clue,havent hear of that one. It must be a of providing the smoky flavor...coool.

I am thinking about a brine solution also, I might soak it in Lemonade diluted w/ water and herbs.

Ron your the real McCOy.ha....shoot it , stuff, and eat it.lol Enjoy.

Edited by likeaeagle

Ron, I'm sooooo jealous!! Sounds absolutely heavenly!! I LOVE smoked turkey - ESPECIALLY with the fruity woods!! If you didn't live so far away, I'd probably crash your dinner. :P

WN! I haven't had deep fried turkey, but I hear that people who have had it won't cook it any other way again. But be careful! I also hear that it can be really, really dangerous.

I'm eating at a neighbor's house and our turkey is being prepared a la Publix. :blink: I preferred Honey Baked Ham if we were going to go that route, but I'm not paying for it, so..... I'll keep my mouth shut - bring my famous sweet potato cassarole, sweet potato pie and cranberry sauce and I'll thoroughly enjoy the company and goodies.

Act2,

I'm not the gourmet cook around here but I can tell you this... I've cooked my turkeys in one of those Reynold's turkey bags for over 20 years. The turkey will always come out juicy and there's plenty of juices in the bottom of the bag to use on the dressing and for gravy.

I rub the turkey down first with slightly melted butter (please.. not margarine), salt and pepper and then a little poultry seasoning. It's easy and everyone seems to love it. I remember my mother cooking turkeys in the oven... basting every 20 minutes... taking hours to cook. And they were always so DRY. But boy the house smelled great all Thanksgiving day long.

sudo

Sudo, the turkey was done in less than 3 hours and was very moist. I followed the directions on the Reynolds box which said to rub in veg. oil... I certainly would have used butter if I had read your suggestion early enough. (No margarine in this house)))) I have it carved and in a glass pan and poured some of the delicious juice over it. I will warm it up on Thursday per my mom's instructions.

Hey Belle, care to part with the sweet potato casserole?? I am making one, but not sure which recipe to use.

I babysat my year-old nephew today. What a cutie. Except that while he, hubby, my brother, and I were eating, he had to let go of his milk on his clothes and mine!!! So I quickly changed both of us and put our stinking clothes in the washer!!!!! OK, cool.... well, then he went to sleep and slept and slept, ,,,,,, and urinated and urinated.......so the throw that I just washed yesterday, was now christened, so it is now in the dryer after being washed!!!!! I love him, though!!!! :offtopic:

Heh heh heh .... those little ones sure do keep life from being boring, don't they? This Christmas will have no kids around since we're all grown and none of us have any of our own yet. It's nice getting to enjoy sitting around the table and just enjoying visiting with each other, but it's also too quiet sometimes and the "magic" is missing since no one's looking for Santa on Christmas eve.

I don't mind sharing the recipe at all! I got it from a co-worker after a company Thanksgiving Pot Luck Dinner one year. Lost it and called him the next year for it again! I love it, but you'll soon see why! It's a vegetable dish, technically, so you can have it and still get dessert. :biglaugh:

Sweet Tater Cassarole

Mix in a large mixing bowl:

3 Cups Sweet Potatoes - Mashed

1 Stick Butter

1 Cup Sugar

2 Eggs - Beaten

1/2 Cup Milk

1 Tablespoon Vanilla

Put the above mixture in a 13"x9" baking dish

Topping:

1 Cup Brown Sugar

1/3 Cup Butter - Melted

1/3 Cup Flour

1 Cup Chopped Pecans

1 Cup Coconut

Mix the above and sprinkle on top of the sweet potato mixture.

Bake at 350 until brown on top (about 30 minutes)

I used hazelnuts this year and it was yummy! I saw someone put raisins in theirs and think I might try that tomorrow.

It's so quick and easy - my kinda cooking!