GreaseSpot Cafe

Christmas Present Suggestions

Belle

Once again, I'm stumped.

Daddy is the kind of guy who has everything and if he wants it, he just goes and gets it. It's very hard to find something for him that really makes him laugh or surprises him. He is the kind of guy who just asks for tennis balls, golf balls or socks for Christmas. Not because he really needs them, but because he doesn't really "want" anything - not anything any of us can afford, anyway. ;)

He's big into nostaliga and trivia. Last year I bought him a book about famous movie scenes and it came with a DVD hosted by Dustin Hoffman. He plays it alot and really enjoys things along those lines. He's also a big music lover and has quite the library of music trivia in his brain. On family vacations he would tell us stories about a lot of the songs as they came on the radio.

He says his generation is into enjoying "experiences" and memories as opposed to collecting "things".

I have absolutely no clue what to get him. I was thinking of something from Flick Back Nostaliga Store - Like the Life Magazine from the week he was born or the 1947 "What a Year it Was" book....

I also considered getting him one share of stock from One Share - He's a banker, so I thought about a share of Dow Jones or Callaway Golf or Pixar.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

How about a weekend with you and your brother, your mom and your dad at a favorite vacation spot from your childhood? Disney or one of the other big parks there could be a real blast with your folks - I'm thinking right now of the Osborne Family Light Display or something like that... Posing for one of those old time pictures with your parents and you could be a real treasure (heck, you could even give copies of those to your parents' siblings or their parents even...).

Or a day at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, complete with a nice meal out?

Or a date with his lovely daughter, just the two of you out for a movie or a concert or...?

Or a "This is Your Life" episode with your dad as the star...?

Just some off the top of my head. I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide!

Good luck!

Geeze,

And here I am racking my brian what to get Carol for our 20th wedding anniversary next week. We went on a Bermuda cruise "as our present to each other" but everyone KNOWS I have to get her SOMETHING. Oh well... I didn't mean to de-rail the thread. Carry on!

sudo

Well Sudo, yours is even easier than Belle's!

Of course, you should have bought her a piece of fine jewelry while you were there, but it's not too late. You can find a necklace or bracelet - tanzanite comes to mind, but by now you know what she likes in jewelry...

Or maybe have a temporary tattoo made and tease her that it's real...

Or, you could have a pole installed in your bedroom and give her coupons for special private dances...

Edited by bowtwi

It's okay, Moony, I heard that Sudo will also give Ted lessons on how pole dance. ;)

BOWTWI, those are great ideas, but a little out of the price range. :( I only have about $50-$60 to spend on Dear Ole Dad. I'm still looking. I found a killer website ( Customized Gift Search and have had fun tinkering around on it today.

I do think I found the best present for Tom Strange, though: Tom's Gift

PR_25002.jpg

Sudo,

Here's the traditional take on the 20th Anniversary:

Traditional 20th wedding anniversary gifts have a theme of China.

A contemporary or modern 20th anniversary gift has a theme of Bone China and Platinum.

The flowers associated with the 20th anniversary are Day Lily

The Gemstone list shows Emerald associated with this Wedding Anniversary

Congratulations!

Edited by Belle

Oh dear me.... What have I started now :unsure:? I'm sure Belle is some kind of ticked at me for derailing her nice thread, too. Sorry, Ted... looks like you're in the thick of it and I'm too much the gentleman to talk about poles... in the presence of ladies! ;). Hee-hee!

sudo

Belle,

If you know how to knit, crochet, or do needlepoint, there are a lot of things you can do that are very personalized and can be greatly appreciated -- if nothing else, for the amount of love you put in the thing. The $50-$60 you have can be used to buy materials...

For example, a crochet/knit stadium blanket in the colors of his favorite team (you might even be able to work in the team emblem into the pattern--I've seen that done before). Scarves are always good up north.

Needlepoint: not only can you do the usual 'crafty', 'countrified' junk that you see up on walls, you can take that talent and buy a rather inexpensive dress shirt or tie ($20-$40 at a outlet mall) and embroider his initials on the shirt pocket, sleeves, or, again, on the tie. That changes an inexpensive shirt into a custom job that would cost him $100 if he bought it himself and had the work done through an expensive men's store. Or for a different spin, getting a nice set of sheets and embroidering a crest on them is a really classy thing that, if you have the right kind of store, shouldn't cost more than $50.

You might not have the time to knock out a knit project, but doing some custom embroidery shouldn't take all that long and is something that he might not have on his own.

Speaking of customizations, if you don't have the talent yourself, the "Things Remembered" kiosks usually have lots of items that you could have customized. Tie clips, money clips, business card holders, etc., are usually nice "man" gifts.

The other nice thing is if you hand-make a card (don't know how crafty you are) to accompany the gift. My wife did that for a few years: stamped embossing, hand-made paper, and so on. They really turned out nice and were as valuable to the recipients as the gifts they accompanied.

But I'd suggest thinking outside the box: take something very ordinary and customize it to make it extraordinary.

Great ideas, Mark!

I'm not all that crafty, but I did buy some blank cards once in hopes of being able to figurer out how to make some nice homemade ones. I also found a site that will convert a photo into a cross-stitch pattern for you for only $5. I can cross-stitch. :P

Hmmmmmm......thinking........... ^_^

Guys, I stumbled across a great idea a couple of years ago that the families have loved.

At walmart...there are frames for posters...about 2x4 ft for around ten dollars ..... one comes with matting subdivides for about twenty pics of different sizes.

I filled one up with current pictures of all of the family members with pictures intermixed of when we were little or family events pets etc.

I filled one up for each set of parents and they LOVED it....they are prominantly mounted on the walls....they truly loved it where people can see it and they can brag......and total cost was under 15 dollars.

I am doing one this year for my step sister with pictures of their wedding festivities....

Also there are drink coasters that you can put family photos in if you don`t want something that covers the whole wall.

I have also had the pictures from my fathers wedding with all of the individuals of all of the family members transfered to fabric with the intentions of using them as patches in a quilt that I am making.

My Dad has asked for stuff to eat like gourmet cheeses and stuff that is special locally....his wife asked for a jar of black strap molasses....lol

If you can crochet...there is a book at walmart that shows you how to filigree crochet folks names in a pretty design to be matted and framed......that are fairly simple.

Hope some of these help

Cathy

I had another idea that my sister does.....she gets family photos.....and goes to the local office max type of store and has them made into hanging calanders.

Each month has a different photo of family vacation spots fishing trips....maybe baby pictures....and you can print anniversaries and birthdays family events on the days of the month .....

Oh and for regular friends and stuff the book store has some books called something like *great gifts in jars.

The one I like has the recipe for really good gourmet drinks...hot chocolates, cofees, teas....along with nice lables....my friends and syblings always love these.

There are volumes that contain the ingredients for different soups and also books that have different cookie ingredients....all are decorated and usually really apreciated...you can even spend a little more and get nicer containers that they wikll use for other things....or maybe get personalised cups to contain their drink.

Okay, I'm going to be tearing up here in a minute, so I'll make this quick.

My daughter once game me a card with things in that I'd done and we'd done and her reminisces about it. It wasn't that long or detailed, but it meant a lot because I saw she remembered them, and us. I loved it.

When you said your Dad would tell stories about song on the radio in the car - I do the same thing. I'll go off on a 10 minute dissertation on - whatever. I love that stuff.

You might consider getting a journal book, one big enough to write in and put pictures, photos or drawings. Write down some of the things you remember about him, times together, maybe some things you just have seen in him and his life, things that he might not even know or remember. What he means to you. Tie in a photo or picture and put in on the pages next to what you write. Possibly some song lyrics. And a CD of some music that he would like. Total cost, maybe 30 bucks?

You're his daughter. You're the only one of you he's got and ever going to have the joy of calling "my daughter". If he loves you and I'm sure he does, he'll love that you remember.

Okay, I got something in my eye. Gotta go!

Edited by socks

Belle,

One of the most cherished gifts I ever received was from a dear, dear friend.......who thank God, was nbw. He lived in Seattle, I lived in DC........but he knew that I grew up in the SF bay area. He was at an auction and found an original 1904 book (really......published in 1904~!!!) book about SF China Town, complete with pictures. The book has pictures of places in it that I can actually recognize...they look the same today........100 years and ONE GREAT EARTHQUAKE later.

I know that my friend didn't pay that much for it.........but it means the world to me. I have it displayed proudly in a place I can look at one hundred times a day.

I guess what I am saying.........you will know the perfect gift when you see it, or think of it.........your heart is to find the one thing that will touch him........and REALLY mean something to him :wub:

It is out there dear one!

ror

These are all GREAT ideas!

I'm all for the sentimental gifts, especially given that this is only the second year they've "really" had me back as the Belle they knew and loved over ten years ago. I am thinking I might try to do the memory booklet with a CD of the tunes I mention in the booklet or a memento like Paw mentioned. I'm also keeping my eye out for something that I never thought of that might catch my eye....and thinking, too, what it might be. :)

Rascal, that IS a great idea and you and my mom are so much alike! It's really scary, but she has already done two of those - one from her side of the family and one from Daddy's. :P

Something I found while putzing around that I *think* I might do for all my relatives in addition to their gift:

A nicely decorated jar with a little poem tied to it that says the jar contains 365 things to let them know I'm thinking about them all year long. You can buy these, of course, with cute sayings, Bible verses and/or other things surrounding a particular category.

I think for Mama I'll make one that has Bible verses, uplifting sayings and sayings about how special Mamas are along with some incidental personal things she's done for me.

Ditto with Grandma

With Paw Paw - some WWII quotes, quotes on bravery, patriotism, Paw Paws and personal reminders of times we spent together.

Things along those lines.... It will be a nice "thanks for not giving up on me" gift, I think.

Awww Bell, and I thought they were such clever ideas....sigh.

Well your idea got me thinking, somebody once gave me a beautifull little book ...kind of like a daily inspirational type of thing....cannot remeber the name of it, (like THAT helps lol) it was pink....but I`ll bet you could find it in a christian book store.

It had a different story to read every day about a half a page about a mom and how she had impacted a childs life ....backed up with a scripture or two....and then at the end you find out that the child grew up to be some famous person who then impacted the world in turn.

I loved it I will see if I can find it. Maybe your mom would like it.

Awwwww, Rascal, it IS a GREAT idea! That's why you and Mama were so excited about it. :) I'm just late to the party.

If you could find the name of that book it would be really cool! I've already started collecting quotes to put in my 365 jars for everyone. The Art Director here at work is going to make me a "Warhol"-ish like print of a family picture for me to give to Daddy, too.

I'm still thinking of which way I want to do the memory book thing that Socks suggested too.

I'm real excited about these things and hope that the family likes them as much as I am excited. :wub: