GreaseSpot Cafe

Favorite Quotes

Belle

I'm putting "Everyday" Jars together for my parents and my grand parents. Each one gets their own jar and there will be 365 slips of paper in each jar. Each jar is especially made for that individual - quotes and all.

Each slip of paper will have a quote, a Bible verse, a trivia fact or something from me about that person that I admire or remember about our time together - Like the time Mama cried with me when I came home from school upset because "everybody hates me" and her telling me that she hurt when I hurt.

I'm having more trouble than I thought coming up with quotes about being a Daddy, Mama, Grandma and Paw Paw. Or maybe just quotes about how important and special family is.

What are some of your favorite quotes? How about some individual, personal ones that you wouldn't mind me quoting you in my "Everyday" jars. :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good is where you find it.........(good things can come in unexpected ways)

Fathers be good to your daughters

Daughters will love like you do

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers

So mothers be good to your daughters too.........(John Mayer)

My wife gave me a card the day we were married, with a short poem, that I've since had framed.

The poem goes:

It was so very long ago

That we first met and said hello.

Little did I know that day

That you would steal my heart away...

To which I've added the lines:

I'm so glad it was because you've always taken such good care of it.

Edited by socks

LOL! Out There, you just reminded me of something Mama used to say when we were having little pity parties for ourselves about something stupid (or something stupid we got caught doing).... She'd say, "If you want Sympathy you can find it between Sh1t and Syphilis in the dictionary." Maybe I'l throw the cleavage one in for good measure. :D

Love the link, George!! My Daddy and uncle will get a kick out of these!

Socks, that's beautiful! I love that Mayer song, too.....One I don't mind running through my head. :)

Act2, those are priceless. Thank you!

Chef, I love the puppy tail poem!

Well hell, Belle! My momma said a bunch of stuff.

EVERYbody likes a little as*, but NOBODY likes a smartas*.

Do as I say, not as I do. (as was pronounced like the word in the above quote)

You get what you pay for. (She passed away before the generic movement took effect)

She also said "Short woman who put detergent on top shelf may have to jump for Joy." That one really cracked her up.

She once named her cat FUBAR!

I guess these won't really help you, but I hope you're as amused as I am. :dance:

If I come across anything useful, I'll let ya know.

xoxo

Here is part of a poem I wrote when my wife and I found out that we had a fourth child on the way. For background though, I was working on this ship named the "Matanuska" whom we have nick named the "Mat".

We had come into port for a couple of hours and she came down for a visit. Also, I borrowed a little bit from the poem "The Cremation Of Sam McGhee" for the "chorus" part.

And so, here it is I'll have to name it sometime:

Strange things've been done under the Midnight Sun, but this one happened at sea.

It was on board the "Mat", that I found out that, our fourth kid was comin to be...

I was workin' the Matanuska when my lovely wife came, to see me, to have breakfast, to chat.

But boy was it surprisin' when from her purse she brought, a home pregnancy test kit,

my dismayed mind screamed; "Not!"

"Oh yes she said, remember that time, we did it up in the bow? How fun it was to be "sneakin around", 'cause we had to have it now? It coulda been then, it could been later, but one thing is for sure, I don' know what to do, so I'm comin to you, could it be, we're gonna have one more?

And so up foward we went to the port womens head, for this test had better be tried. But I knew in my heart, right from the start, that the "rabbitt had already died". I waited outside, looking over the rail, as an eagle flew over my head.

And when she emerged and stepped out on the deck, from the look on her face I could tell...that she was "pg", that there would not be "just three", and I thought to myself, "oh hell!"

Nine months of her pregnant! And no sleepin at night! Then three years of diapers and such! "Could it be you're mistaken and read the thing wrong? Could the test be off "just a touch"? "Oh no" said she, "for this test just comfirms it, I've been late for three weeks and I've known".

So I put my arm 'round her and we stared at the bay, and that eagle flew over once more. And then with a grin, as our thoughts settled in, I said this ain't so bad, in fact it's real cool! I wonder who it's going to be?

If it's a girl she'll be "Mattie", named after my ship! And if a boy, we'll find us a name! We'll call him "Samson" or "Granite", or "Boulder Clay Nye", something with substance you see!

Strange things've been done under the Midnight Sun, but this one happened at sea.

It was on board the "Mat", that I found out that, our fourth kid was comin whoo-ee!

Well, it turned out to be Luke McKenzie. He's nine now... :dance:

Edited by Jonny Lingo

In my spousel bereavement group, we were discussing how the complexities of grief cannot be understood until experienced, and my fellow widow-in-arms said, “it’s like the old Italian proverb…Only the spoon knows how hot the soup really is.”

Edited by Hopefull

Another one for your boss, Belle ---

We, the underpaid have done

SO much,

With SO little,

For SO long,

That we are now qualified to do

Practically ANYTHING

At ALL times

With NOTHING!

(That might not go over very well with him either, eh? ;)

Edited by dmiller

forgive me for not reading the thread except for karmie's last one lmao

when my father turned 75 (he died at 77 five months ago when i flipped out here), we had a birthday party for him. well his wife did. but my mom came and her husband and all us kids. my oldest sister made us write down on a piece of paper one good thing we remembered about him. ouch our heads hurt. but we all did it and put our incidents / memories in a jar and presented it to him.

it's all good eh ?

Some of my grandpa's favorites...

"I'm gonna burn down the house and leave by the light of the fire."

"Hard work can be fun, but it's a rotten way to make a living."

"Find a woman who'll cook, one who'll clean, one who'll always be honest and one who'll take good care of kids, and make sure these 4 women never meet."

"Tuff titty said the kitty, but the milk's still good."

Just thought I'd toss these in. He was very wise. I'll add more as I think of them.