GreaseSpot Cafe

The Test of Time

Raf

Which of your favorite movies have stood the test of time, and which have not?

And please, avoid some of the more obvious ones, like The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind and PLEASE GOD DON'T mention The Godfather.

I'm looking for movies you liked that everyone knows, or not, but now, years later, you look back and you think, hey, this movie really...

ROCKY: It's hard to see Rocky through the prism of Rocky IV and especially Rocky V. But damned if this isn't a chick flick in a lot of ways, isn't it? I mean, what are the chief attributes of this movie? It's sweet. UGH! Anything but that! But unlike every other Rocky movie, this first one was a great FILM.

And speaking of Stallone:

FIRST BLOOD: This movie kicks butt. I mean, this is a terrific movie. One long action scene. This was, of course, before Rambo became a cartoon character (literally and figuratively).

SCREAM: Still clever. Still hip. Still scary.

AIRPLANE! Will never, ever, ever stop being funny.

On the other hand...

RETURN OF THE JEDI: a.k.a. the Muppet Movie 3. This was the beginning of the end of the Star Wars saga. Yes, it still had enough juice in it to make the grade, but isn't that scene between Luke and Leia in the woods a tad pathetic. "My father has it. I have it. And,... my sister has it. Yes, Leia, it's you." Who writes this crap?

WILLY WONKA: I'll say it. This movie SUCKED. It's one big long headache of a movie and I hated every, do you hear me, every single character. So there!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I view it much differently now but just today I was thinking of a segment of A Clockwork Orange which makes me want to see it again for the first time in about 15 years, I was a fanatic 30 years ago-it will be interesting to see it again after so long

Monty Python and the Holy Grail- I have most of it memorized and it still makes me laugh-marvelous in its originality

The King of Hearts--a timeless classic

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Next-

There are others from before my time that I'll maybe watch yet again if they are in TV-

stuff like African Queen or Its a wonderful Life, from when they knew how to make movies and it all wasnt whizbang special effects and no substance.

Im sure there are others thats all off the top of my head

Im not much of a movie goer, thankfully Ive forgotten most of the ones that didnt hold up over time.

the PFAL film class certainly didnt hold up to its initial hype--does that count? icon_wink.gif;)-->

[This message was edited by mstar1 on August 08, 2003 at 7:15.]

How about some stuff, besides PFAL, that has not stood the test of time?

The movies you look at today and think to yourself, I liked this?

Gladiator, to me, is the most forgettable Best Picture winning movie of the last 25 years.

And one of these days, hopefully soon, the Academy voters will have another opportunity to compare Saving Private Ryan (a magnificent film) to Shakespeare in Love (a passable movie) and recognize their crime against Spielberg.

I can name every character in Titanic. I can't name two characters in Gladiator.

I like to call Titanic "the best badly written movie ever made." It's got two goals. One is to tell a believable love story. (F-). The other is to tell a story that takes the viewer from bow to stern and everywhere in between (A+). So even though we have to put up with "Jack, this is where we met," you have to admit this is one hell of an impressive piece of filmmaking.

(That means it's a good popcorn movie, for those of you from Rio Linda, Palm Beach County, or the initials QQ).

Gladiator had good fights. Umm. Okay.

Rafael,

I have to second your vote on "Gladiator". Unimpressive to say the least. I can't say much good about "Titanic" though, either. A way over-budget chick flick. I couldn't manage to sit through the whole thing...

Two movies (which I mentioned on Sudo's "nostalgia" thread) which didn't hold up over time for me were:

1. "Easy Rider" I thought this was the greatest story ever committed to film when it premiered. Then I saw it again a few years ago. Gawd, it looked like a failed high school "Film as Art" class project. Just awful.

2. "Midnight Cowboy" Again this film bowled me over when if first came out. I saw it again (a few minutes of it) a year or so ago. I couldn't believe it was the same movie. It was at least a well-made movie (camera angles, editing, score, etc.) But the point of it all was completely lost on me. Dark, depressing, and pointless to boot...

I still love "Casablanca" though. And "Zelig" is a surprisingly fun movie despite it's director (Woody Allen). "Bambi Meets Godzilla" is still my favorite short subject...

geo.

Raf,

You didn't want Gone With The Wind but so what.. the HECK with what you want, I always say icon_biggrin.gif:D-->. I watch it every year or so along with several other movies we own: Casablanca (great minds, Geo), the original King Kong, Dracula and Frankenstein and two that I'm surprised havn't been mentioned.. 1956's The Ten Commandments and 1959's Ben Hur. Great movies every one that have, IMO, stood the test of time.

On the other hand, I never could see the big whoop over Citizen Kane.

sudo

P.S. Heeeeeyyyyy.... I liked Gladiator. just watched it again a few weeks ago. icon_frown.gif:(-->

I was just trying to make sure people think outside the box. Which is cool, because by (cue the dramatic music) defying me, you thought outside the box.

I understand what you're saying about Citizen Kane. I can't sit through The English Patient.

I'm also kind of sorry to say that The Neverending Story gets more preposterous every time I see it.

On the other hand, if I had to relive one day, I would be torn between Ferris Beuller's Day Off and Groundhog Day.

I have to say that Groundhog Day did something remarkable: not only was it a decent and memorable comedy, but it totally redefined "Groundhog Day." It used to mean Feb. 2, but now it means a things that should change, but don't (like the Democratic Party campaign strategy or the Republican Party economic strategy).

"Gladiator" more forgettable than "American Beauty?" I doubt that. I still can't believe it beat out "The Green Mile" for best picture.

One of my favorite movies that has held up well over time is the 1959 classic "Some Like It Hot" with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe. I've seen this dozens of times and almost know the dialogue by heart and it's still funny every time I see it. It was on Sunday on Turner Classic and I watched it again. Curtis and Lemmon do the old "men dressed as women" bit funnier than anybody and Marilyn never looked better.

There is another whole category of movies that If they cross my path I can enjoy, its the ones that were whether intentional or not were less than illustrious when they first came out, the ones with a $1.75 budget.

The sci fi monster and space films of the 50's, the drivein second feature flicks ( Attack of the Nazi Amazon Bimbos from Hell) that in a sort of offhanded manner can still be entertaining if only because they are so bad, and make no attempt at being something that they are not, or carrying any message of worth with them.

I actually wouldnt mind having a selection of some of these, does that qualify them as passing the test of time?

I dont know,

they were bad then, they are bad now, but I still find some of them entertaining in a bizarre sort of way at times. I hope someone somewhere is saving these

I was really disappointed when I saw Casablanca. I don't know if it's because I'd seen all the good parts in film retrospectives or what, but I feel it's tremendously overhyped. On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw "From Here To Eternity" recently. I was expecting a total snore-fest, but it was a great story.

More classics for the ages:

"Chinatown" -- The surprisingly-down ending paved the way for later movies like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

"Forbidden Planet" -- The forerunner of Star Trek, and the first modern big-budget sci-fi flick. The SFX were state-of-the-art for 1956, including Disney-animated visuals and the first synthesizer soundtrack.

"The Sting" -- Redford and Newman's best team-up.

"Blazing Saddles" -- Mel Brooks' best.

"Stagecoach" -- The model for so many later movies.

"The Thing" 1959 *and* 1982 -- John Carpenter's version is one of the only remakes that stands on its own as a companion piece to the original, instead of a fast-buck ripoff or self-indulgent "reimagining."

Honorable Mention:

"Bull Durham" -- Any movie that neither Kevin Costner, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, nor Robert Wuhl could kill deserves some props. icon_wink.gif;)-->

The fool hath said in his heart, "PFAL is the Word of God..."

Sudo,

"On the other hand, I never could see the big whoop over Citizen Kane."

Two words "camera angle".

I guess if you were never a "Film as Art" student (yeah, I did it THREE times,. What can I say, I'm a dedicated scholar), or never tried to make a film of your own, it would be hard to appreciate this flick.

But if you don't dwell on the story so much and look at the construction of the film itself, it takes on a whole new light. Remember this is 1941, before all the glitzy "Star Wars" special effects and whatnot. Welles did a masterful job of putting it together - probably his finest work.

Each scene is framed just so. The dark, moody lighting, sometimes the camera is right on the floor, sometimes in a upper corner of the room. Just the angle of the camera communicates more than the dialog itself. Some scenes are just brimming with power, and it's all from the mood set by the lighting and camera work.

Sorry, I'm still amazed at the craft put into that flick. And it's held up extremely well over the sixty-odd years since it was made. Take a look at "The Maltese Falcon" or "The Big Sleep" or "Wuthering Heights" and see how cheesy they look now even though they're about the same age. Yet "Citizen Kane" still looks like it could have been made yesterday.

What can I say? It's one of my favorites. (BTW, I still watch GWTW every now and then, too)

geo.

I like the "Columbo" TV shows for several reasons.

1. The writing stands up well enough that I can enjoy watching them over and over, even when I know how they're going to turn out.

2. They've been around so long, and Columbo has always taken such an interest in the latest technology, that the shows make an interesting historical document about the late 20th century. Many of the cutting-edge, high-tech gadgets that plot points turn on are already as obsolete as buggy whips. Yet the shows are still fun.

Love,

Steve

Speaking of Orson Wells...

My favorite version of "Treasure Island" is the Wallace Beery, Jackie Cooper version from the '30s. My next favorite version is the Disney one with Robert Newton, the quintessential pirate, playing Long John Silver. After that, it's the Charleton Heston version, and then the "Muppet Treasure Island".

The Orson Wells rendition of "Treasure Island is by far my least favorite version. It seems to consist almost entirely of shots of Orson Wells sitting somewhere or other rambling on and on. I didn't like it.

Love,

Steve

You know, I really loved the Muppet Christmas Carol.

Relatively recent Disney movies that are aging well:

Beauty and the Beast

The Lion King

The Little Mermaid

Recent Disney movie that are sort of aging well, with some disqualifying anachronisms:

Aladdin

Recent Disney movies that not only did not age well, but weren't all that good to begin with:

Pocahontas

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Hercules

• 4 weeks later...

bible movies are good -- timeless, really.

Fred and I just got "The Bible, In the Beginning"

It's a wonderful Life

all Elvis movies.

White Nights (Gregory Hines and Michail Baryshnikov)

Other Gregory Hines movies I love: The Tic Code (an awesome picture of compassion), Tap, and The Cotton Club.

icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

[This message was edited by Kit Sober on September 06, 2003 at 17:28.]

O.K., another one that HAS aged very well for me,

"Body Heat" with William Hurt and Kathleen Turner (Mickey Rouke gives a GREAT supporting role performance and even Ted Danson's not too bad).

I personally feel this is the ultimate "Noir" film. The screenwriting is first-rate.

Hot, steamy, dark, intricate, and engrossing, it has it all. I just saw it again on cable after a couple of decades hiatus and I'm still impressed...

geo.