GreaseSpot Cafe

Twi Phone Hook-up Craze

skyrider

The twi phone hook-up craze came storming through twi around the early 90s. In general, there were three different types:

1) The branch phone hook-up.........in clubhouse room or small rental room (capacity..20-60) where branch guy oversees the meeting. Generally, not a coat and tie situation. I couldn't stand these things......but had to follow directors from twi leadership to remain corps. Boring. Awkward. Bizarre.

2) The limb phone hook-up............larger meeting and, at times, was held at a campus location (like Camp Gunnison). More formal....with main guy trying to take the edge off this stuffy, stiff event. Even more awkward that the branch hook-up. Uuuuugh.

3) Corps teaching hook-up...........weekly teachings by corps director. In the mid-90s, lcm mandated for the corps to be dress in coat & tie (men). Absurd and elitist form of indoctrination. Half the "teaching" was spent on yelling and slandering some corps, some situation. A real scream-fest.

I hated these hook-ups. They were putrid attempts to instill MOG WORSHIP FROM A DISTANCE.

And, when I read accounts like bliss' on another thread......where folks traveled over MONARCH PASS every month to get back and forth from Camp Gunnison just to hear a stupid phone hookup......my blood boils.

Sheeeeeesh......on ONE hand, twi teaches that "their people are taught" to operate all nine manifestations.... and on the OTHER hand, twi's mog has to do all the teaching. Can't seem to trust anyone else to handle "the greatness of the word."

Pathetic outfit. Absolutely pathetic.

:realmad:

Oh Geeze, Skyrider! You bring up horrible memories!!

Dressing up in your Sunday "Best" - driving forever to get to someone's house just to strain to listen through the static and stay awake while standing when they would be standing in the auditorium - clapping when they clapped and then having to time your manifestations to be exactly the same length as those at hq. <_<

Our area did three way calling upon three way calling upon three way calling. The quality absolutely S U C K E D!! I would always go home with a headache after straining to hear or dead tired from the draining long day and boring teachings :sleep1: that we'd have to listen to again on tape - in fellowship and with our witnessing partners.

How friggin' unnecessary, idiotic and boring. Bobby Moneyhands got mad because some people complained about it and especially about having to dress up for the phone hookup. Like craiggers would know we didn't dress up??? I always complained about the quality and offered to pay for the whole phone bill if our location could just dial in directly and not have to be tenth in line to get hooked up to the horrible quality. And I was the contentious one!

Before '96 in Florida, it was something of a fun get-together. We could dress very casually. Attendance wasn't required.

But then, starting in '96 (my last year there), we had to dress-up. Let's say the &$*# hit the fan.

I really started to hate it and it wasn't until the last STS that I attended that I just have had it. It was in the home of my first TC. We were not live and Moneyhands orders us to stand up and clap like if we were in HQ. :rolleyes: Say What??? Why do we need to do that when it's a phone-hookup and they cannot even see us? and Why do we need to dress-up especially when it's warm and humid? Why is attendance required all of a sudden???

Does God love us less if we dress up casually??? or if we don't attend because of some personal, professional or school commitments??? or if we don't stand up and clap when we're not in HQ???

Maybe the God that they worship is like that and we have an idea what God is that.

Edited by FreeFromCults

Oh Geeze, Skyrider! You bring up horrible memories!!

Dressing up in your Sunday "Best" - driving forever to get to someone's house just to strain to listen through the static and stay awake while standing when they would be standing in the auditorium - clapping when they clapped and then having to time your manifestations to be exactly the same length as those at hq. <_<

Our area did three way calling upon three way calling upon three way calling. The quality absolutely S U C K E D!! I would always go home with a headache after straining to hear or dead tired from the draining long day and boring teachings :sleep1: that we'd have to listen to again on tape - in fellowship and with our witnessing partners.

How friggin' unnecessary, idiotic and boring. Bobby Moneyhands got mad because some people complained about it and especially about having to dress up for the phone hookup. Like craiggers would know we didn't dress up??? I always complained about the quality and offered to pay for the whole phone bill if our location could just dial in directly and not have to be tenth in line to get hooked up to the horrible quality. And I was the contentious one!

Belle.......three way calling upon three way calling upon three way calling. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Talk about dashing the concept of the "more abundant life....!!

And, Moneyhands gets MAD.........handled like a true coward. Sure wouldn't want to take these complaints back to martinfail and tell him how idiotic these phone hook-ups were. No sirree........a brown-noser just follows orders. Period.

And, Moneyhands gets MAD.........handled like a true coward. Sure wouldn't want to take these complaints back to martinfail and tell him how idiotic these phone hook-ups were. No sirree........a brown-noser just follows orders. Period.

A true coward... he is. I heard while Loy Boy got into an incident with a football fan at a bowl game in Orlando, Moneyhands was cowering and hiding like the coward he is.

I bet I can come behind him and say "BOOOHH! I am a former Way believer and a cop-out" and he'll be running for the nearest exit.

Free from Cults,

You wrote of Bob Moneyhands: I bet I can come behind him and say "BOOOHH! I am a former Way believer and a cop-out" and he'll be running for the nearest exit.

My thoughts on that: not unless you, too, tick off Rosalie and she ships YOU across the Atlantic to coordinate a work that doesn't exist ....

No, you will just have to enjoy being around your family and working a REAL job and having self-respect and leave the running to the nearest exit to BM in his nightmares ...

It is a shame he does not garner HIS self-respect, ask GOD first and then other folks for forgiveness, and move on to a REAL life.

Edited by DogLover

Free from Cults,

You wrote of Bob Moneyhands: I bet I can come behind him and say "BOOOHH! I am a former Way believer and a cop-out" and he'll be running for the nearest exit.

My thoughts on that: not unless you, too, tick off Rosalie and she ships YOU across the Atlantic to coordinate a work that doesn't exist ....

No, you will just have to enjoy being around your family and working a REAL job and having self-respect and leave the running to the nearest exit to BM in his nightmares ...

It is a shame he does not garner HIS self-respect, ask GOD first and then other folks for forgiveness, and move on to a REAL life.

Well said, DogLover!!!

Good advice.

Back in 1996, martindale used to think that these phone hook-ups were the GREATEST...!!!

The locations were announced....the number of people in attendance.....the big deal that people were "tapped to the root." The lcm ego-stroking was sickening. And, the man was blinded by his own arrogance.....and none of the region guys had the balls to tell him otherwise.

Being tapped to the root of the problem.......helped many to see that it wasn't just the corps leadership in their area. The problem was widespread......stemming from......twi's HQ.

I supposed, in hindsight.....I should be thankful for those hook-ups. With eyes wide open, I was able to make an unequivacol decision and EXIT twi.

Have never regretted that decision.

Not once.

:)

Man, oh man...

Have you brought back memories. (not good ones!)

First, there were the WEEKLY branch hookups. This was where you had to dress up on a Sunday morning, sit for two hours in hard straight-backed chairs, trying the entire time to keep you toddler from loosing his mind while still showing the proper respect for the Word (ie no books, toys, foods, naps, etc.), and trying to look enthused about hearing a teaching you were going to hear again in two days when you got the required SNS tape, and hear taught twice more at weekly fellowships that you were required to attend. Gee, how inspiring.

And being corps you got to dress up twice a week! You fellas think having to wear a suit-and-tie was bad... once a week I had to rush home from work (stopping to pick up the child from daycare) get my ex fed to his satisfaction (NEVER fast-food!), put on a dress and make sure my makeup was decent, hop in the car and drive an HOUR to the limb leader's house, (thru mountains and snow in the winter) and listen to the forehead rant about how screwed up someone I knew and liked was, before telling us how blessed we were to be corps and hear him speak, and how spiritually significant we were to get to be in on these meetings, and then we would have yet another responsibility handed to us by our limb coordinators before leaving at 11:30pm, to drive the HOUR back home and try to get some sleep before getting up at 6am for work the next day.

Oh---my---God. I cannot believe I actually did that for YEARS!!!!!!

Worse still, we prided ourselves on this.

Edited by TheHighWay

then having to time your manifestations to be exactly the same length as those at hq

I'm a glutton for punishment--but this must be an LCM era thing--how on earth does/did one manage that.

I mean Joe believer is in the middle of manifesting and HQ switches to Interpretation does he stop in mid sentence????? Mid interpretation???

I'm a glutton for punishment--but this must be an LCM era thing--how on earth does/did one manage that.

I mean Joe believer is in the middle of manifesting and HQ switches to Interpretation does he stop in mid sentence????? Mid interpretation???

At this phone hook-ups........when the time came for *manifestations* the emcee at hq would announce that, at this time, each location would be doing their own manifestations. After about two minutes, the hq feed would start with soft, background music for a minute or so.

This manifestation time....was a way for EACH LOCATION to hear personal, inspired manifestations for THEIR exhortation and edification. To me, the logic and intent of this decision was okay.

I just HATED the whole concept of PHONE HOOK-UPS FROM HQ.

Everytime we did these on the field...........people hit the door running immediately after it was over!!!

The whole concept SUCKED.

Let's see ... Yesterday was Sunday ... I could have been driving myself nuts getting ready for the SNS, the coordination, the primping, the pimping (the art form of picking up your 'fruit' en route to a fellowship), the planning, the dressing up, the drive (or long haul), unless the hookup was held at YOUR place, which meant HOURS of cleaning and preparing, the fake look of excited anticipation, the aching back, the bench-butt, the fighting to stay awake, etc, etc, etc, ...

Instead I was playing with the kids in the pool, cooking chee-kin on the grill, doing some yard work...

Which would YOU say was the will of God???

Hint: I was much more blessed doing what I did. I am SO blessed to NOT have to do TWI's crap!!!

Skyrider, good insight. Those were absurd.

Our loco leaders here (you know who) always had them at his house of course so he didn't have to travel. SHE always insisted on vlounteers for everything. It was so comical. And of course us "volunteers" had to be done an hour early. So here we are a crew of men and women setting up a few chairs in the small living room, sweeping the sidewalk, cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming. When when we finished we had to change into our suits and ties and hang around bored for an hour. :sleep1::sleep1:

The the crew many times composed the majority of the meeting attendees! Ha!

So we sat up for ourselves, parked ourselves and made refreshments for ourselves. Once I was even joking around with another disgusted worker and we greeted ourselves at the door and shook our own hands.

It was insanity. Control freaks! What a waste of a good Sunday afternoon.

Edited by igotout

Thanks igotout.

Martindale was canoeing down a river without a paddle. On one of those corps teaching hook-ups.....when he was totally disgusted with the corps......he boldly declared, "I could run the whole U.S. trunk by myself. Just do all the teaching on hook-ups and run all the fellowships by myself."

Yep, martindale could have run the whole thing and not broken a sweat.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: