GreaseSpot Cafe

for this purpose i was saved

Jesus knew he would be resurrected

But there is a difference between Dying in the sense that God's Spirit leaves your body like the rest of life does.

And dying in the sense, that many posters here believe, where God's Spirit never completely left(forsook) him. If the Spirit doesn't leave then the body isn't dead in the sense that all other life experiences it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Templelady,

What I've said does not fall into the same framework of your theology. Therefore, this thought of what happened when God's spirit left Christ's body is not a part of how I view this. It is not my position that Christ did not die. It is my position that the things you're bringing up are not relevant to the discussion of whether or not Christ died. I don't know what you're thinking when you say "that many posters here believe," but you sure as shootin have not expressed or summarized my beliefs on this.

It is my position that the things you're bringing up are not relevant to the discussion of whether or not Christ died.

Understood

But for me it is relevant

Relevant especially when I consider that half of Christ's DNA was Heavenly Fathers

Relevant when Christ was the Sacrificial Lamb (in the Old Testament a goat could be used also hence scapegoat)

Relevant when I consider Christ gave up all claims to divinity when he came to this earth

Relevant for establishing whether or not Christ literally died trusting that Heavenly Father would resurrect Him Or did he retain enough of the divine spirit that life was never truly totally extinguished

The answer IMO makes a tremendous difference in understanding just how great Christ's sacrifice was for us

Edited by templelady

You called me MAUREEN---ARRGGHH I'm in trouble now !!!! :(

That is the sixty four Million dollar problem dMiller

There is no scripture that flat comes out and says Jesus gave up his divinity

The Catholic and other trinitarian doctrines teach that he never surrendered his divinity

Even many Christians who profess to be anti-trinitarin still hold that Christ retained at least some of his divine nature

What we do have a snippets here and there

James 1:13 ....for God cannot be tempted with evil....

Mark 1:13 And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him

being one

But the most compelling is

Christ's commandment to us in Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

And

Paul in Romans 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

If it is necessary to have a divine nature to fulfill a sinless life then we will all fail.

In point of fact most churches teach exactly that, "there was only one perfect man etc. If in fact Jesus Christ never surrendered his divinity that makes them correct

My position is that Christ came to earth just like us and lived a perfect life by exercising his freedom of choice to always make decisions pleasing to God.

So What did he have to work with:

Well lets stick to the Ten Commandments

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

There are people on earth manage to do this all their lives--so this is attainable

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them

There are people on earth manage to do this all their lives--so this is attainable

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill

Thou shalt not commit adultery

Thou shalt not steal

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his foot, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's

So if they are all attainable--how can we, as Christians, keep maintaining the fallacy that somehow or another they aren't???

That is why Christ came to earth -- To redeem us from our sins when we fail,. but more importantly to show us that it was possible for humans to live a perfect life--he could only do this is he was a fully human as we are-- living perfectly subject to all our temptations (a point which VPW did expound on in btw) without the buffer zone of Divinity. There is a Huge difference between choosing not to sin--and being prevented from sinning by a divine nature.

I submit, that if we were embrace the fact that a sinless life was attainable instead of the opposite that it is not, we would see a dramatic improvement in our society as a whole

And If Christ was truly human then he died like we do, trusting that Heavenly Father would keep his promise, but suffering the pain and anguish of feeling his body died and the Spirit of God within depart "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me"

There is no way that as a human he could know the anguish that moment would bring before he actually experienced it

Edited by templelady

And If Christ was truly human then he died like we do, trusting that Heavenly Father would keep his promise, but suffering the pain and anguish of feeling his body died and the Spirit of God within depart "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me"

There is no way that as a human he could know the anguish that moment would bring before he actually experienced it

i think he did die like we do

and i think he beat that in his mind

when it says his sweat was as drops of blood

he learned this-how to deal with what he knew would happen

• 1 month later...

What does STFI stand for?

Wonderful, enlightening thread. Thanks to all of you (except allan w.) for your contributions.

And allan w., if you don't have anything to contribute, why do you post? Just to see your name in type? (Bitterness in threads bothers me. Can't we be civil to one another? Love thy neighbor as thyself? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you? Maybe you would benefit from a book by Miss Manners, probably available at your local bookstore.)

Edited by sudossuda

What...are you bored Sudosuda ?? I thought this thread died months ago....but seeing as you have resurrected it....nah, never mind.

The thread to me seemed to become a debate about LDS theology versus VP theology. The more Mo went on about LDS beliefs on this thread and others the more I realized that it's better to just keep letting her 'shoot herself in the foot' !

Regarding the thread itself, what VP taught was true that " if Jesus had gone around saying he was God the religious leaders would have written him off as 'mad'...but...because he called himself the Son of God, THAT got their attention.

I can't say the spirit of God arriving or departing on a man or woman is 'noticeable' as such; ask any 'born again' person.

What would have been noticeable would have been the 'whole scenario' unfolding before peoples eyes.(wasn't Passion of the Christ awesome). I can't believe that Jesus in front of everyone gathered would have 'witnessed' of a God who deserts people in their greatest hour of need.

This is from the Complete Jewish Bible translated by David H. Stern, co. 1998, Jewish New Testament Publications, Matthew 27:46:

"At about three, Yeshua uttered a loud cry, "Eli! Eli! L'mah sh'vaktani? [My God! My God! Why have you deserted me?]."

Also, noteworthy in regards to Jesus' trust in God is Luke 23: 46 where he committed his spirit into the Father's hands [which he said AFTER the Matthew 27: 46 statement]- and of further interest is that is from a Psalm also - Psalm 31: 5.

Edited by T-Bone

In August of 2001 my husband was in a head-on collision...a bad one.

He survived the immediate collision only to have his spleen rupture 3 days later. He blanked out twice in the 3 block trip to the ER...and was 'flatline' when he got to the ER. They revived him. X-rays revealed the exploded spleen. The surgeon told me to get my family together and say goodbye because he wasn't sure, a)if he could stop the bleeding, and, b)if my hubs would survive afterwards.

Although the surgery went as well as could be expected, the surgeon wasn't holding out any hope. The exploded spleen resulted in more than an gallon of blood being dumped into hub's gut. That's almost every drop of blood a person has at any one time.

Hubs was taken to ICU and left there naked and in a room kept at about 42°F. His bp hovered just above dead. His pallor was almost a perfect match with the hospital white sheets.

Death was expected.

I stayed by my husband's side day and night. I was allowed to do this because death was expected.

I cried out to God for help...and for a way to help my husband.

It just came to me to start reading the Psalms to him. I read night and day. When my voice gave out and I could no longer read out loud, I read to myself and pantomimed tearing out the very pages of the bible and covering hubs with the words.

I had never read the Psalms like that before...just starting at the beginning and reading straight through.

By the time my hubs recovered enough to be moved from ICU, I was a different person with a whole different understanding of Jesus' heart just before and during his crucifixion.

I knew then that what was taught about this in pfal was WRONG.

Very interesting T-Bone. So the 'forsookingness' Jesus cried out could not have been the 'spirit of God' departing from him because as you said, the commending of his spirit to God was AFTER the fact.

Very good.

Interesting that the greek used in Matthew 27:46 for 'forsake' is egkataleipo. The word kataleipo in Romans 11:4 is translated 'reserved'. Most other places translated 'leave' or 'leave behind'.

Neat to find these kinds of threads, isn't it, Suda? :) Thanks for bringing it back up and keep looking - there've been a lot of great discussions down here in the dungeon. :biglaugh:

STFI, I believe is "Spirit & Truth Fellowship International" or something like that .... it's one of the TWI offshoots.

CoolWaters,

That is a very touching and moving part of your life that you just shared with us. I will never forget it. And I agree with you that pfal was wrong on this matter.

Look at how much different God our Father deals with us as His children rather then the way it was in the Old Testament. Jesus said I and my Father are one. Noone in the Old Testament talked like this. That had to die in order to for it to be even bigger then it was in Jesus' life as recorded in the gospels.

It was after Jesus died that God gave him a name above all names. He is at the right hand of God which is where we are too. And all that rests and it's potential and reality is within us and will manifest itself in due time.

Thanks again for sharing that with us.

Edited by CM

allan w

Regarding

What...are you bored Sudosuda ?? I thought this thread died months ago....but seeing as you have resurrected it....nah, never mind.

Not bored, just interested in learning. As a newcomer, there's still many gems here I have not yet had the opportunity to mine.

Have taken a look at some of your other posts. Have learned some things from you when you were not stalking Temple Lady to lamblast her LDS beliefs. BTW, I enjoy her posts and learning about LDS. Guess to me, learning will always be an exciting lifetime adventure.