GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Mr. Music Man...

OH SIGH :(

I HATE that when it happens... music junkies take these things hard.

Socks,

This Erik Mongrain is amazing... here's his website... Montreal born and raised... enjoy.

His melodies are so well thought through, tasteful. Don't know if that really expresses it properly but it's the best I could come up with.

Seems to have been influenced by Don Ross...another amazing guitarist we featured here a little ways back.

This is called

thought it was cool the way his music makes the audience want to clap along. Motivating stuff! Edited by A la prochaine

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OH SIGH :(

I HATE that when it happens... music junkies take these things hard.

I'm not taking it TOO hard. I just found out about the concert last thursday,

and given his popularity I should've jumped on the chance then to get a ticket,

instead of procrastinating until the last minute.

I'm guessing he'll be back for another performance in the future.

I won't procrastinate then for admittance -- believe you me!!

:spy:

Edited by dmiller

Mr. Music Man...

You posted the same link I did a couple of posts ago on Adrian Legg... sweet.

OK.... you music junkies... are there days were you get inundated with music. It seems everywhere you turn there's music coming out of every space in your life. New music, musicians, albums, songs, videos... new sounds to explore, to understand, to see, to learn.

Today has been one of these days. :biglaugh:

almost feel like a drug addict being given a whole stash ... for free.

For something completely different - not exactly a guitar based tune, but the guitar player on the original was Robert Fripp and Greg Lake, bass.

Try this - King Crimson ..... "In the Court of the Crimson King"

Aaaah...if you remember the original, the title alone says it all.

This isn't the original KC, and Robert Fripp isn't on guitar - but this version of the group does an amazing rendition of it here, I think. I was surprised to find it browsing around for some Fripp.

The guitar on the original album was good, interesting although it was the whole ensemble sound and the songs (20th Century Schizoid Man, I Talk to the Wind) and the arrangements that were great I thought. And the chorus on this tune was just a mind melder, really invoking a a medieval and timeless 'ancient' sound perfectly.

"The purple piper plays his tune, the choir softly sings...." :)

Said the straight man

To the late man

"Where have you been?"

"I've been here and I've been there,

"I've been in between."

Ever notice how on their first 2 or 3 albums there was always a mellow tune strategically placed? That was back when the context of the album was just as important as the content. Albums were meant to be consumed as a whole rather than isolate a single tune.(my opinion) That is something that has been lost in this MP3 age we live in. Anyway, my all time favorite KC is on album 2 or 3,"Prince Rupert Awakes."(Jon Anderson on guest vocals)

I saw them in Cleveland in about 1970 right after their personnel change. They had a totally different sound live. Heavy sax and very much avant gard jazz flavor.

Thanx for the memories.

A La

RE: King Crimson ---Here is a snippet of lyrics from "Prince Rupert Awakes" ( Sinfield/Fripp) from their "Lizard" album(Vocals on this one were guested by Jon Anderson of YES):

Farewell the temple masters' bells

His kiosk and his black worm seed

Courtship solely of his word

With Eden guaranteed

For now Prince Ruperts' tears of glass

Make saphron sabath eyelids bleed

Scar the sacred tablet wax

On which the lizards feed.

King Crimson as well as The Moody Blues were pioneers in their use of what, at that time, was a new and revolutionary instrument called the Mellotron. This was a keyboard that resembled an organ. Each key activated a prerecorded tape of an actual instrument. The tapes were interchangable and typically displayed strings and other voices associated with a symphony. You could hit the middle C key and hear a recording of an actual violin playing a C, for example.

Their albums were meant to be listened to in entirety much like a symphony. The Moody Blues actually used The London Symphony Orchestra for their first venture into this type of music and then switched to Mellotron.

If for no other reason, listening to these two groups is a tremendous history lesson in how music made a seemingly quantum leap from past to present.

Besides their great sound another thing I remember about a Moody Blues concert – back around 1972 at Madison Square Garden – was that I sat still – enthralled by their music for the entire show. I wasn’t even stoned…I just sat there…think I was totally lost in their music. I’ve never had an experience like that ever again…Wonderfully strange…the effect their performance had on me.

Speaking of King Crimson I had an album of theirs – it had a strange song that I really liked…think it was called “Hi Ho” or was that a line in the song?...Don’t know…probably because I usually was stoned listening to their stuff :biglaugh: .

Waysider,

So kind of you to take the time to explain. Thank you... it is very much appreciated.

Now when that post was written and Jon Anderson's name was mentioned I thought..hmmmmmmmmmm.....

they must be talking about this guy ---> Anderson all right... but the wrong one... duh!

here's another early clip---> Check out all the speakers on stage... 4 musicians and one mega loud output it seems!!!

----> the 1980's

I must say.... this stuff is amazing....so eclectic...such a variety of sound. What a mix of instruments.

and now a newer Ian .... ----> Bouree...

My brother-in-law has seen JTull in concert 22 times. Last year being (he claims) his last time. It seems he's retiring from Tull concerts. :rolleyes:

I think it was Mstar1 who said something a while back about his artwork (stained glass) being used on one of Tull's albums. I searched for the post, but I couldn't find it. Anyone remember this???? I may have this band mixed up with another... (I think I've proven to most that is QUITE possible) :huh:

Edited by A la prochaine

Beautiful Evan! Proud Poppa! Love the headstock. What are the woods used? The top looks very nice.

Moody Blues-posted on seeing them a couple times over the last few years, and they're as good today as ever, better in some ways through these ears now that technology has caught up to the music.

King Crimson - that's a good take on them waysider, agree. They brought forth the "progressive rock" stuff, a curse in lesser hands. But they did have some good music over the years and have a strong following.

Robert Fripp is the main ingredient in the band it seems, and has done different things with it over the years. Every once in awhile I'll read about a new configuration he's put together. And I remember back in the 80's he did an interview where he was focused on getting "small and mobile" he called it, interesting considering where KC all started.

Gotta buzz - be back later, y'all! Good stuff.

Another ingredient of King Crimson and that first album is the quest people have had as to the "Real Meaning" behind it, the music, the name, etc.

I have a long dissertation I won't subject y'all to on the values of music compared to the values of say, words. Short version - a word means whatever we understand it to mean, as we're taught and use it. The inflection and articulation of the word - the "tone of voice" and expression gives it additional meaning. Without knowing what a word means though it's just a sound - "table" might as well be "glakatish" without some understanding or way of illustrating what table means. Whereas music - is a full expression in and of itself - the sound is what it is. The sound of a word and how it's spoken can in fact define it to a great degree. On paper, moreso. If you read "glakatish" you need context to try and get a feel for what it means - a single unknown word on it's own - what does it really mean?

Words and music - what do they mean? A lot of that is determined by what we invest in them, infuse them with.

Just thoughts. Doink. :biglaugh:

Edited by socks