GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dmiller - that's my bass amp he's on... if you look closely at the knobs you'll see that it would be unplayable at that moment...

He wreaks havoc on my amp - I'm glad its solid state and not a tube amp because I'd probably have to store it in a closet (its a monster to haul around)...

---------------

Y'all -

Hubby just got great news - his band has been booked for a fireworks gig in July in a great location... (see the gazebo to the left in the picture...?) When they play there, I usually watch them from a boat in the water you're looking at - a piece of heaven. It's a 3.5 hour gig - holy crow! But he's excited - he's already planning on bringing a couple of his axes... (more GAS)....

AltonBayGaz.jpg

dmiller - that's my bass amp he's on... if you look closely at the knobs you'll see that it would be unplayable at that moment...

He wreaks havoc on my amp - I'm glad its solid state and not a tube amp because I'd probably have to store it in a closet (its a monster to haul around)...

---------------

Y'all -

Hubby just got great news - his band has been booked for a fireworks gig in July in a great location... (see the gazebo to the left in the picture...?) When they play there, I usually watch them from a boat in the water you're looking at - a piece of heaven. It's a 3.5 hour gig - holy crow! But he's excited - he's already planning on bringing a couple of his axes... (more GAS)....

AltonBayGaz.jpg

Ha!! Ok -- I see the knobs now. Missed that the first time I saw the pic.

I guess an amp to a two year old is an open invitation to explore.

Something to climb on and dials to fiddle with.

Kinda like an open, empty guitar case is to a cat.

Leave it open and empty -- and they will come to take a nap in it! ;)

Congrats on the July gig too!. Looks like a great location for a concert.

3.5 hour gig? July 4th?? Big crowds?? Fireworks??

Ask for the big bucks!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

ROTFPIMP!

Oh man... that was rich!

No, he's in a 50's, 60's, 70's rock and roll cover band. I might be doing a small web page for them - they play out at campgrounds, town parks, and hardware store openings (hey - don't laugh - in this town, that's a big deal!) He plays rhythm guitar and sings. There's a lead guitar player and a drummer. The bass player is excellent - she's played professionally during the 60's and 70's - mostly in Philadelphia - and tells stories about playing with the likes of Buddy Guy, Jerry Lee Lewis, Muddy Waters, BB King, etc - pretty awesome.

dmiller - we have TONS of pics with cats in guitar cases - we joke that some day we're going to get rich marketing the things as cat beds! :biglaugh:

dmiller - we have TONS of pics with cats in guitar cases - we joke that some day we're going to get rich marketing the things as cat beds! :biglaugh:

Forget the *cat bed* aspect. Since cat's are so comfortable in guitar cases ---

drill some air holes in it, and promote it as *live animal* transport cases for travel.

:spy:

A la P.------

Jukin' is a very general term derived from the root word(I wish you could see it in the original) "Juke Joint". A true "juke joint" is hard to describe. There is laughter, conversation,cigarette smoke, liquid refreshment flowing and, most importantly, live music played just as much as a backdrop as it is a feature. It's spontaneous and heartfelt. It's not concerned with whether a particular note or phrase conforms to musical convention so much as whether it comes from some place deep inside. It is constantly changing and evolving.

Now, if that all seems too off the wall, it is also the title of a terrrific album/CD by a guy named Johnny Dyer who cut his musical teeth working on Stovals' Plantation in Miss. and is one of the few remaining representatives of music as it sounded in the old time juke joints.

I just found the most amazing chat room tonight.

WORLD WIDE BLUEGRASS.

It's a live web broadcast of bluegrass music, chat room,

and the DJ is there inter-acting with the folks present,

taking requests from those of us (who were) there,

and making comments about the general chat as well!

But ya gotta love Bluegrass, Gospel, Old-Timey Music, that sort of thing,

because you won't hear anything else played on it.

Everyone there in the chat room is commenting on:

The licks in the songs, the vocals, the abilities of the band members

debating the key it should be played in, other stuff in life, talking about

who's going to be in their area performing in the next month, etc.

I think I might've died -- and have gone to Heaven!

:biglaugh:

* bump *

So, what have YOU been playing lately?

Moi???? Heard some neat old tunes recently that I had forgotten about.

Naturally -- that was a call to get out the fiddle and the mandolin,

and see if I could remember how I used to play them. ;)

I got out the guitar the other day too to get the chords down to those songs,

and there is a BUZZ I don't like on the high *E* string.

Sounds like it is dug into the saddle (or something).

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

If I can't fix it here -- to the shop it goes. :(

I just wanted to be the 2,171st poster.

Here come the "terrible two's"!! :biglaugh:

For this occasion I searched high and low, and far left and far right for the perfect card. Once again, Youtube was there for me, and in a way, for us. I discovered this talented young fellow doing - well, The Video Says It Best.

Edited by socks

hey guitar gods... if someone had always wanted to learn to play the guitar, and was thinking about getting a guitar (accoustic), what sort of guitar would someone get?

If someone were thinking that it's OK to get a high quality used guitar because they don't want to mess with buying a beginner one and then getting rid of it and getting another...

If someone had hands where the palm was large in proportion to the finger length... would someone want nylon or steel strings? or would that be something that someone would start out on one type and then move to a different type?

Tell me Obi-Wan-Guitarbee... tell me...er.. someone...

Hey there tom -

In my humble opinion I like Ibanez - I have had two and they make a real nice guitar for not a lot of money. I read someone said dont go too cheap and I agree with that too. The Ibanez I have right now cost me about $600.00 but its an acoustic electric. But for a beginner you can get an Ibanez AE accoustic as inexpensive as $150-200 and it will really sound good too. As far as new opposed to used, like anything else you never know what youre getting with used and if you could get an Ibanez (or what ever you decide on) inexpensive enough you may as well go with new. A new guitar will come with new strings and you will be the 1st and only one to play it.

Hope this helps! :dance:

Michael

Howdy, Michael B.

I have to agree with you on that "too cheap" sentiment. I have always felt that if you are trying to learn to play trumpet or sax or trombone or some obscure instrument like guitar, a low quality piece of equipment can be fodder for discouragement.

I do alot of mechanical work , so I feel the same way about hand tools. I always try to buy the best quality tools that will fit my budget. That is not the same as saying "buy the best quality tools".

BTW----My wrench turning ability far surpasses my guitar skills.

I'm not sure if that merits one of these :( or one of these :) .

Now, when it comes to BONGOS, that a whole other issue, eh, Tom? :wink2:

Are you referring to "playing" (as in playing an instrument ) or "playing " (as in CD's, albums,etc.)?

Any of the above - you can also include what songs you might be playing on your instrument... :dance:

Ibanez made in Japan is especially good - stay away from the stuff made in China...